Author Topic: Woj: Significant discussions about allowing third 2-way contract  (Read 2045 times)

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1350188515888410624?s=20

The tweet is from yesterday, but I couldn't find any posts about it. If this goes through, do you guys have a player in mind who'd possibly help the C's?

My binkie would be Cheick Diallo. I reckon he'd be a nice fit in our system as a small-ball Center. Thing is, we already got 4 bigs in Thompson, Theis, Timelord and Tacko. Not to mention, G-Will can provide some cover at the 5 as well. Chances are we don't need another big. It's just that I'm still intrigued by Diallo's potential as a player. He spent 3 seasons with the Pels and 1 season with the Suns. The guy has never played for a team with an established winning culture. I'd be interested to watch him play under CBS in a switch-heavy defensive system. 

Plenty of interesting players are on the market. Imo, the best options are Kyle Korver and Ersan Ilyasova, but I don't think they'd ever sign a 2-way contract.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 04:45:54 PM by Jvalin »

Re: Woj: Possibilty of expanding rosters by allowing third 2-way contract
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 04:41:44 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Oh yay! Let's add another two way player that will only play when it's garbage time or if the top 10 guys are all out with Covid!!!

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 04:44:26 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
Oh yay! Let's add another two way player that will only play when it's garbage time or if the top 10 guys are all out with Covid!!!
That's the point mate. Three of our games got postponed cause we didn't have enough players.

Re: Woj: Significant discussions about allowing third 2-way contract
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 04:51:26 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It would be better if they opened a 16th roster spot, with a max salary of the vet minimum.

That would be better for teams and better for the NBAPA.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2021, 04:51:40 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
That's the point mate. Three of our games got postponed cause we didn't have enough players.
Would rather have the games be postponed than play with 8 guys, 5-7 of which aren't good enough to make the regular rotation, 3-4 of which should be playing in the G League.

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 04:54:12 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
It would be better if they opened a 16th roster spot, with a max salary of the vet minimum.

Which doesn't count against the cap.

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2021, 04:59:17 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Which doesn't count against the cap.

Yes, good idea.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2021, 05:15:09 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
A 16th spot that doesn't count against the cap for this year, as some have said, is a much better idea. Adding a third 2 way which can only be used on players with limited (3 or less) years experience just so you can postpone fewer games doesn't seem like all that helpful. The undermanned team is still gonna stink if they have to rely on another 2 way guy.

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2021, 05:58:09 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
A 16th spot that doesn't count against the cap for this year, as some have said, is a much better idea. Adding a third 2 way which can only be used on players with limited (3 or less) years experience just so you can postpone fewer games doesn't seem like all that helpful. The undermanned team is still gonna stink if they have to rely on another 2 way guy.
Didn't know about the bolded part! TP! I guess Diallo wouldn't have been a viable option after all.

Chances are that the undermanned team is gonna stink regardless, but yeah I get your point. I like Roy's and Nick's ideas too. It would have been nice to add a 16th roster spot.