Author Topic: will Randle be better than Sully?  (Read 15240 times)

Re: will Randle be better than Sully?
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2014, 10:27:05 AM »

Online CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
I think the best current NBA comp to Randle would be Paul Milsap.

You said earlier you think Sullinger edges Randle.  Then say the above.   Do you think Sullinger is better than Paul Milsap?   I know I don't.

It will be hard to say, I think this question needs to be asked after Randle plays against Kaminsky this Saturday.

My post was a little confusing because I started and stopped writing it a few times.

What I meant was that I think Randle will be a Milsap type player.
     - quick enough and good enough handle to face up slower 4s
     - above average rebounder
     - good perimeter mobility for a 4, allowing some D on slower 3s

I think Sully's added lower body strength allows him to be a more effective post scorer. His developing 3pt shot will make him a match up problem as he further develops. This combo hopefully makes a prime sully better then a prime milsap/randle.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2014, 11:15:07 AM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
I think he will be better. Bigger, and more athletic, he can do more in more different kinds of offenses. ...but will he be better for the Celtics? No. We have a logjam at PF.

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2014, 11:15:22 AM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
Maybe but will we really invest our first round pick in a PF THREE years in a row?
Sounds like something David Kahn would do not something Dannyt Ainge would do. I think if the C's end up with pick 5 and Randle is the best player available that they trade down in the draft slightly and pick up a future 2nd rounder.

Or trade randle, clips pick and expirings/filler for Kevin Love ;D

Love that idea.

« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2014, 01:42:12 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I think Sully's added lower body strength allows him to be a more effective post scorer. His developing 3pt shot will make him a match up problem as he further develops. This combo hopefully makes a prime sully better then a prime milsap/randle.     
That's an awfully nice way of you to say that his huge butt allows him to push people around easier. However, I don't think his current body shape is a sustainable way to have a long, productive NBA career.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2014, 02:03:53 PM »

Offline McHales Pits

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 175
Yeah...Sully is fat right now. Rotund. Immense. Planetary.

No way around it...literally. Because he is so big!
2013 CB Draft Champions*: Minnesota Timberwolves
DKC League: Washington Wizards

« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2014, 02:11:14 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Maybe but will we really invest our first round pick in a PF THREE years in a row?
Sounds like something David Kahn would do not something Dannyt Ainge would do. I think if the C's end up with pick 5 and Randle is the best player available that they trade down in the draft slightly and pick up a future 2nd rounder.

Or trade randle, clips pick and expirings/filler for Kevin Love ;D

Love that idea.
if that's all it would take to get Love, I'd do it.

« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2014, 02:37:23 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
Yeah...Sully is fat right now. Rotund. Immense. Planetary.

No way around it...literally. Because he is so big!

Randle is WAY more fit and physically well built to have a longer and healthier career. Skills and IQ-wise, Sully is great. But Randle looks to have better upside based on his superior physical traits.

That said, both are undersized PFs . . . which might be find for regular season games, but will not work in the playoffs. I'd rather have Vonleh than Randle considering he's got upside and a little bit more length as well. Ultimately, it seems Exum is best for us given our need for offense and overall athleticism.

« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2014, 03:18:20 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Who will be a better perimeter shooter?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2014, 03:19:31 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Randle struggled this year scoring against player with equal or greater size or athleticism because his arms are so short. Blocking his shots inside was easy for those that had that equal or greater size or athleticism. His hunger and tenacity allowed him to rebound a ton of those redirected by Randle because he was bothered by the defender misses/blocked shots and make something of them but I fear this is going to be a problem at the next level.

It may not be anything but with his not having any right handed shot whatsoever, I think smart, large, athletic NBA PFs will key on his left hand and be able to contain him until he can start hitting a regular deep outside shot allowing him to use his dribbling skills and/or until he learns to shoot with his right.

This is very true. And this is also where i see Some Antoine Walker in his game, if Walker kept to his strengths and did his work in the paint. Walker used to get blocked a lot too.

Both are a little undersized at the 4, but are quick. Randle is a better free throw shooter than Walker, so I have hope that he can learn to hit a 15-18 foot shot when he gets it. Randle isnt the passer that Walker was, but he can still do pretty well there. Even in college, Walker spent a lot of time on the perimeter. Whereas Randle has a lot of nifty moves around the basket and a good touch.

I always thought Walker was at his best when he was in or around the paint. Randle already has demonstrated his desire to battle down there every night.

« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2014, 06:05:05 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
My post was a little confusing because I started and stopped writing it a few times.

OK, I didn't follow you, well.   

I still want to see how Randle does vs. Kaminsky.

Guys Sully,struggled with length in college, too and he still struggles.    Saavy will only get you so far.   Randle plays above the rim compared to Sully.  That doesn't mean Sully is trash.  He was a great college player and a decent pro.   I would say Randle is a good college player not a great one.   That may change if he wins the title for UK.    I think Randle if given another year would be better.  Sully played two years. That being said Freshman Sully is better than freshmen Randle.

Randle's Arms are 6'11" in wingspan, not T rex but admittedly short.  Sully arms are 7'1" wingspan.   Sully has a mediocre 29.5" No step Vertical.  Below 28" is considered not athletic.  Sully Max Vertical is only 31" folks.

Randle can jump higher than this by a large amount.

http://www.nbadraft.net/forum/marcus-smart-vs-julius-randle-improv-dunk-contest

Watch it, the kid can jump much higher than Sully.  I think it would more than make up for the 2" inches at the end of the day.

« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2014, 09:01:44 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Sully has proven himself as a solid pro.  Randle is a good college player who, due to his lack of length, projects not to transition well in the NBA.  I originally was quite keen on him at the beginning of the season. But the more I watch his game, even in the tournament, the more I am convinced that he will not be much of a pro and the Celtics should stay away from drafting him.

« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2014, 09:11:25 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
In 2013, Sullinger played half of the season with a herniated disk that required surgery and averaged 6 and 6 in limited minutes...

In 2014, he's averaging 13 and 8 without a proper training camp and while playing out of position in 27 MPG...

Sullinger has the ability to average a double double (he'd already average it, if he were a more selfish player (he'll actually box out opponents until a teammate secures the rebound)), is already displaying a solid understanding of help and post defense, is just as strong as some Centers (imagine him in the post against 4's, when the Celtics finally play him in his proper position), and he just turned 22 years old.

Randle is an impressive player, but he's an unknown commodity at the NBA level. At the college level, he has defense and serious turnover issues that will keep him off of the court for chunks of time. No one knows how his style and attributes will translate they can only project.

Randle could eventually be better than Sully, but it won't be enough of a gap to justify using the C's 2014 1st round pick. If Ainge can't get what he projects to be a potential elite player at another position, he should package the pick in a trade.

« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2014, 09:24:21 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2977
If the draft happens like I think it could

We just might see who stays a Celtic in the long haul.

« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2014, 08:10:05 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1612
If the draft happens like I think it could

We just might see who stays a Celtic in the long haul.

:D
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2014, 09:03:40 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Yes, he could easily be a better player than Sully.

But Sully's college numbers are slightly better so odds are he is not.