Author Topic: Fire Joe! ... or critique Joe ... or defend Joe... or worry about Joe's coaching  (Read 242817 times)

Online Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1474
I think Joe has won many of us doubters. Whaddaya say?

Gotta wait for the playoffs.

Wait for people to say that the team won in spite of him.  :laugh:
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Online green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 323

Does that mean we have to wait until the playoffs to trash him, or do we get a green light on that?

If the Celtics win the championship, people are going to say they won in spite of him. The guy is in a lose-lose situation with some fans.

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2970
https://twitter.com/SouichiTerada/status/1762678463469683184

Joe Mazzulla: "This is one of our best games of the year." Says the Sixers guarded them to take away 3s, so they had to win in a different way tonight.

He's learning. Prayers do come true.

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25607
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Joe Mazzulla: "This is one of our best games of the year." Says the Sixers guarded them to take away 3s, so they had to win in a different way tonight.

Yeah, that's all most of the critics wanted.  That statement is a long way from "shoot more threes" and "no adjustments".

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Online Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley

So the Sixers were the first team this season to figure out how to take away the 3’s. hmmm..Interesting…
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

So the Sixers were the first team this season to figure out how to take away the 3’s. hmmm..Interesting…

For perspective, last year we lost Game 1 against Philly in the playoffs.  We shot 69.4% on 2PTs, attempting "only" 26 3PTs.  In his press conference, Joe complained about the lack of three-point attempts. 

To see him praise the team after attempting 22 3PTs is progress.  It's an acknowledgment that there is more than one way to win, and that the team can, and should, make adjustments when outside shots aren't falling.

I think that Joe has been much better this year -- particularly over the past two months -- at diversifying the offensive based upon the opponent and the defensive matchups. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 744

Exactly. We've had record-breaking offense during the regular season in the past.

The playoffs are a different animal with better competition, more effort on defense, more time and multiple games for the opposing coach to prepare his team to concentrate their defense to attack our offensive strengths.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 993

Exactly. We've had record-breaking offense during the regular season in the past.

The playoffs are a different animal with better competition, more effort on defense, more time and multiple games for the opposing coach to prepare his team to concentrate their defense to attack our offensive strengths.

Have we for more than a month of a season?  When?

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 265
  • International Superstar

For perspective, last year we lost Game 1 against Philly in the playoffs.  We shot 69.4% on 2PTs, attempting "only" 26 3PTs.  In his press conference, Joe complained about the lack of three-point attempts. 

To see him praise the team after attempting 22 3PTs is progress.  It's an acknowledgment that there is more than one way to win, and that the team can, and should, make adjustments when outside shots aren't falling.

I think that Joe has been much better this year -- particularly over the past two months -- at diversifying the offensive based upon the opponent and the defensive matchups.

I think he's had a bit more media training, as well, but ultimately winning (and having a very skilled offensive big given to you) solves a whole lot.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2970

I think he's had a bit more media training, as well, but ultimately winning (and having a very skilled offensive big given to you) solves a whole lot.

The media training is certainly a big part of it, which he openly admits himself. He still has some strange, defensive moments, but he’s much better than last year.

Whether he actually is different in reality is up for question, but it certainly feels like he comes off as less dogmatic and more flexible and dynamic this year.

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

The media training is certainly a big part of it, which he openly admits himself. He still has some strange, defensive moments, but he’s much better than last year.

Whether he actually is different in reality is up for question, but it certainly feels like he comes off as less dogmatic and more flexible and dynamic this year.

I agree.  And, the team has played with more versatility this year.  We've seen Joe make way more in-game adjustments than last season. 

Now, as Kern notes, part of that is personnel.  KP and Jrue are just better players than we had, and they have more diverse offensive games than the guys they replaced.  And some is undoubtedly assistant coaching.  But, Joe gets credit for maximizing the tools he has at his disposal.  I think he's made progress there over the past couple of months in particular.

But, proof is in the playoffs, right? 

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1402

I'm very skeptical of judging coaches based on what they say in a presser...most of the time they end up mouthing the sound bites that they think people or the journalists want to hear. Or they do what Belichick did and just say nothing. That's what it was kind of funny to hear Joe last year when he was clearly not media trained and much more sarcastic about things because it wasn't what they normally say. "Oh we only took 40 3s? We should have taken 50". I never really took him that seriously but obviously they turned into headlines and came back to bite them. Obviously its one of the few times fans get to see a coach outside a game and so it's a part of perception building - it's easier to like someone who is personable in press conferences. But I was looking at any changes to how we actually played, because actions speak louder than words, and while I saw little change last season I can see it starting to happen this seasont. That one dimensionality is starting to go away.

That said, we'll always be a team that is built around a five out offense with spacing and perimeter shooting, and I'm ok with that as long as the quality of shots are good. If they took 50 3s but they were all open and it was our top 8 making the shots I'm good with that. If it was Brissett taking 10 3s a game I would not be ok with that.

But ultimately Joe and this team will be judged not just on the playoffs but on winning a championship. High bar but that's the bar as to whether the season is ultimately judged a success. But it doesn't mean we can't enjoy the journey on the way. If we deny ourselves enjoyment of the journey through the season because only the playoffs matter, when why watch the season at all  :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 265
  • International Superstar
100% Oz - we have to make a strong stab for a championship (no one really cares about the 73 win Warriors) but as someone who is always very busy in April, May, and early June, if I just waited for the playoffs I'd never have the chance to watch any basketball.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

Online Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley

I'm very skeptical of judging coaches based on what they say in a presser...most of the time they end up mouthing the sound bites that they think people or the journalists want to hear. Or they do what Belichick did and just say nothing. That's what it was kind of funny to hear Joe last year when he was clearly not media trained and much more sarcastic about things because it wasn't what they normally say. "Oh we only took 40 3s? We should have taken 50". I never really took him that seriously but obviously they turned into headlines and came back to bite them. Obviously its one of the few times fans get to see a coach outside a game and so it's a part of perception building - it's easier to like someone who is personable in press conferences. But I was looking at any changes to how we actually played, because actions speak louder than words, and while I saw little change last season I can see it starting to happen this seasont. That one dimensionality is starting to go away.

That said, we'll always be a team that is built around a five out offense with spacing and perimeter shooting, and I'm ok with that as long as the quality of shots are good. If they took 50 3s but they were all open and it was our top 8 making the shots I'm good with that. If it was Brissett taking 10 3s a game I would not be ok with that.

But ultimately Joe and this team will be judged not just on the playoffs but on winning a championship. High bar but that's the bar as to whether the season is ultimately judged a success. But it doesn't mean we can't enjoy the journey on the way. If we deny ourselves enjoyment of the journey through the season because only the playoffs matter, when why watch the season at all  :police:

Great post, Oz. Couldn’t agree more. TP

Online green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 323

I agree.  And, the team has played with more versatility this year.  We've seen Joe make way more in-game adjustments than last season. 

Now, as Kern notes, part of that is personnel.  KP and Jrue are just better players than we had, and they have more diverse offensive games than the guys they replaced.  And some is undoubtedly assistant coaching.  But, Joe gets credit for maximizing the tools he has at his disposal.  I think he's made progress there over the past couple of months in particular.

But, proof is in the playoffs, right?

If you choose to take a hard line, yes. It's championship or bust for many fans. I think that's a little nuts, considering that they have one player (Jrue) with a ring. The rest of the squad is still pretty young compared to Milwaukee, Phoenix, LAC, etc.

It's almost like the Celtics are getting punished for having too much success early in 25 yo Tatum's career.