Author Topic: Adam Silver: Social Justice Warrior  (Read 2270 times)

Re: Adam Silver: Social Justice Warrior
« Reply #75 on: May 16, 2019, 02:14:20 PM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Marcus Smart
  • Tommy Points: 14
NBA commissioner Adam Silver wants half of all new referees joining the league to be women -- and he would like to see teams hire female coaches, too.

In an appearance Thursday for The Economic Club of Washington, D.C., Silver said two of the past five refs added from the developmental G League were women, bringing the total number of female officials to three.

"It's an area, frankly, where I've acknowledged that I'm not sure how it was that it remained so male-dominated for so long. Because it's an area of the game where physically, certainly, there's no benefit to being a man, as opposed to a woman, when it comes to refereeing," Silver said.

"The goal is: Going forward, it should be roughly 50-50 of new officials entering in the league," he said. "Same for coaches, by the way. We have a program, too. There's no reason why women shouldn't be coaching men's basketball."

There has never been a female head coach in the NBA.

No talk of merit, or how the best officials and coaches should be promoted regardless of gender. Nope. Just 50/50.

Iím sure there are many qualified female refs.

Frankly there seem to be too many unqualified refs in general.

Why is it that there are no female refs in the playoffs? Is it because only those with the highest grades get to ref playoff games? If so who judges them? The league office? Maybe that is the source of Silverís embarrassment.

His bigger focus should be on making officiating better. Starting with ending favorable treatment to star players. And fixing the darn landing spot rule for jump shooters.

I'm not sure there are many qualified female refs. And to carry this thinking over to demanding female coaches for the NBA is even more ludicrous.

Silver is a whack.
Given the quality of officiating at the moment, you really believe that there aren't women refs in the WNBA, the G League and in college basketball that can't do just as good a job?

I think my unathletic sister who knows nothing about basketball could ref games better than Marc Davis and Scott Foster. And there's a bunch of other crap refs only slightly worse than those two.

Also, being a ref isn't like...being an X-Men or something. It is a skill that can be learned. Seems like it just wasn't an avenue that was encouraged. This could be addressed in less than 10 years if people cared about it. Find good candidates, get them the proper training, put them in positions to succeed. That's like..business 101, right? There is nothing that makes men inherently better at refereeing other than patriarchal social norms.
No one is arguing it cant be done. Why should it be done though? Why should we force a particular gender into a field they apparently have very little interest in? What do we gain? Why not force men into being kindergarten teachers then?

« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2019, 02:52:03 PM »

Offline gift

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 180
I don't think we'll see 50/50 coaching split based purely on merit. Women aren't/won't be integrated into men's teams as players beyond like 10 years old. So men will have an obvious advantage of the ins and outs of men's basketball for many more years than most women. This should naturally result in a higher percentage of men coaching men's basketball. If we were to see otherwise, it would be either anomalous and temporary or based on something other than merit.

I don't think you can correct this at lower levels either. Because you won't want to steal girls away from playing careers (on women's teams) just so they can have opportunities to coach men's teams. Naturally, you'll want them to fulfill their playing careers before moving on to coaching. By then, they are well behind their male age-group peers in terms of men's basketball experience. As much potential as a female may have at that stage, she'd have to put in more time in order to catch up in her career, if it's based on merit. The prodigy coaches would still break through. But not enough to make it 50/50.

Perhaps, you could be more selective for men who coach women's teams because the inverse should be true, too. Women should have more experience and better resumes at earlier ages than men who transition from playing to coaching.

« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2019, 05:20:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 6085
NBA commissioner Adam Silver wants half of all new referees joining the league to be women -- and he would like to see teams hire female coaches, too.

In an appearance Thursday for The Economic Club of Washington, D.C., Silver said two of the past five refs added from the developmental G League were women, bringing the total number of female officials to three.

"It's an area, frankly, where I've acknowledged that I'm not sure how it was that it remained so male-dominated for so long. Because it's an area of the game where physically, certainly, there's no benefit to being a man, as opposed to a woman, when it comes to refereeing," Silver said.

"The goal is: Going forward, it should be roughly 50-50 of new officials entering in the league," he said. "Same for coaches, by the way. We have a program, too. There's no reason why women shouldn't be coaching men's basketball."

There has never been a female head coach in the NBA.

No talk of merit, or how the best officials and coaches should be promoted regardless of gender. Nope. Just 50/50.

Iím sure there are many qualified female refs.

Frankly there seem to be too many unqualified refs in general.

Why is it that there are no female refs in the playoffs? Is it because only those with the highest grades get to ref playoff games? If so who judges them? The league office? Maybe that is the source of Silverís embarrassment.

His bigger focus should be on making officiating better. Starting with ending favorable treatment to star players. And fixing the darn landing spot rule for jump shooters.

I'm not sure there are many qualified female refs. And to carry this thinking over to demanding female coaches for the NBA is even more ludicrous.

Silver is a whack.
Given the quality of officiating at the moment, you really believe that there aren't women refs in the WNBA, the G League and in college basketball that can't do just as good a job?

I think my unathletic sister who knows nothing about basketball could ref games better than Marc Davis and Scott Foster. And there's a bunch of other crap refs only slightly worse than those two.

Also, being a ref isn't like...being an X-Men or something. It is a skill that can be learned. Seems like it just wasn't an avenue that was encouraged. This could be addressed in less than 10 years if people cared about it. Find good candidates, get them the proper training, put them in positions to succeed. That's like..business 101, right? There is nothing that makes men inherently better at refereeing other than patriarchal social norms.
No one is arguing it cant be done. Why should it be done though? Why should we force a particular gender into a field they apparently have very little interest in? What do we gain? Why not force men into being kindergarten teachers then?
Who said females have no interest in coaching and officiating men's NBA basketball? Who said anything about forcing people into the positions?

Clearly merit needs to be necessary but if women are or have been qualified for the positions and not given them, then Silver should have a dictate to hire 50/50, over time, people who are qualified.

I don't think we will see a qualified woman head coach in the NBA any time soon. But I do think there are qualified women who can be hired for officiating and assistant coaching positions.

Hello! Guest

Welcome to the CelticsStrong Forums.

Community

Signup to win FREE tickets

* indicates required