Author Topic: Cathedral of Notre Dame in Paris burning to ground  (Read 1444 times)

Re: Cathedral of Notre Dame in Paris burning to ground
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2019, 07:19:54 PM »

Offline gouki88

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 344
Simply horrible. Not only a gorgeous piece of historic architecture, but one that was made immortal through story

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2019, 07:21:33 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 5940
I have open eyes. What exactly am I supposed to be seeing? You may not realize how hard it is to get proper fire fighting equipment into that area and deal with the height of the flames. Notre Dame is a massive building and the flames reached as high as 250-300 feet high.

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2019, 07:37:27 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27440
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
I have open eyes. What exactly am I supposed to be seeing? You may not realize how hard it is to get proper fire fighting equipment into that area and deal with the height of the flames. Notre Dame is a massive building and the flames reached as high as 250-300 feet high.

Part of it was apparently the architectural style itself:

Firefighters stood helpless to stem the blaze in Notre Dame cathedral Monday likely because of Gothic engineering techniques that waterproofed the roof, consigning it to destruction.

The roof and spire of Notre Dame were all but doomed to burn once flames began to spread, possibly begun by a renovation accident, because of a Gothic engineering technique used to waterproof the top of the cathedral by placing a lead sheet roof over a wooden truss structure on top of the groin vault that served as the ceiling of the cathedralís nave, according to Ted Henderson, who studied archaeology at Dartmouth College.

The wooden truss became highly flammable as it dried over hundreds of years, but was sealed from the outside by the lead sheets, and therefore impervious to firefightersí efforts to douse the flames with water.

ďSo the wood catches on fire, and itís not actually exposed to the outside of the building anywhere.  In fact, the reason the roof is covered with lead is so water canít get inside. Itís specifically fireproofed. So when the firemen, you know, arrive on the scene and theyíre spraying cathedral with water, itís running off the sides of the lead roof and canít access this void where the fire is actually spreading.Ē

That's one architect's opinion, but it seems as plausible as ... what?  A conspiracy theory that the fire department intentionally let the cathedral burn because the government hates Western Civilization?

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2019, 08:17:41 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 374
Hmmm, I wonder how in the world this could possibly happen. One fire hose fighting the flame.

France is gone....

One fire hose?
Also, France is gone?
Please explain

Open your eyes

I count two, possibly 3 hoses dousing the structure in this image
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/04/15/world/europe/notre-dame-fire.amp.html

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2019, 08:32:56 PM »

Offline gift

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
I'm trying to avoid seeing it.  It's extremely sad.  I'm glad I got to visit at least once.

And, not to cast blame...  But how does this happen?  Did they not have sufficient fire suppression due to the historic nature of the cathedral?  I know it's hard to modernize a building that is 900 years old, but this sucks, and I wish it could have been prevented.

All I could think was how much it would suck to be the person somehow responsible. Like I could see myself plugging in a space heater against regulations.

Is there insurance on that cathedral?

Does it matter?

BTW just read trump's tweet about flying water tanks....  Omg...

I ask because of the irony of the thought. You can't not have insurance on something of such value, and yet you can't insure at any value against its greatest loss.

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2019, 08:40:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith

Part of it was apparently the architectural style itself:

Firefighters stood helpless to stem the blaze in Notre Dame cathedral Monday likely because of Gothic engineering techniques that waterproofed the roof, consigning it to destruction.

The roof and spire of Notre Dame were all but doomed to burn once flames began to spread, possibly begun by a renovation accident, because of a Gothic engineering technique used to waterproof the top of the cathedral by placing a lead sheet roof over a wooden truss structure on top of the groin vault that served as the ceiling of the cathedralís nave, according to Ted Henderson, who studied archaeology at Dartmouth College.

The wooden truss became highly flammable as it dried over hundreds of years, but was sealed from the outside by the lead sheets, and therefore impervious to firefightersí efforts to douse the flames with water.

ďSo the wood catches on fire, and itís not actually exposed to the outside of the building anywhere.  In fact, the reason the roof is covered with lead is so water canít get inside. Itís specifically fireproofed. So when the firemen, you know, arrive on the scene and theyíre spraying cathedral with water, itís running off the sides of the lead roof and canít access this void where the fire is actually spreading.Ē

That's one architect's opinion, but it seems as plausible as ... what?  A conspiracy theory that the fire department intentionally let the cathedral burn because the government hates Western Civilization?
That makes sense. So does the fact that most ground based fire fighting apparatuses don't have the ability to shoot water to the areas that needed to be drenched to save parts of the building.

Here is a look at the size and scope of the building, fire and equipment they were fighting the flames with:

The fire started high up. It was nearly impossible to get to the early flames and almost no way to fight the fire from within.

But yeah, let's ignore things like how to fight such a huge fire and the technology used to fireproof the place and make it about some weird, conspiracy theory

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2019, 07:44:45 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27440
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
Paris (AFP) - Around 400 French firefighters faced a rapidly spreading fire at Notre-Dame as they arrived on the scene Monday evening, but appeared to have prevented the complete destruction of the cathedral and managed to rescue some of its priceless artifacts by rushing inside, officials said.

Dozens of fire engines and at least 18 high-pressure aerial hoses were used to contain the blaze which broke out at the Gothic masterpiece at around 6pm (1600 GMT) on Monday evening.

Several drones and a robot were also pressed into action to assess the inferno ...

"It spread extremely quickly on the roof," Paris deputy mayor Emmanuel Gregoire told the BFM news channel.

Wooden roof beams dating from the 12th century were to blame, but the first-responders had made "saving as many artworks as possible" a priority, Gregoire explained.

Some teams had managed to salvage an unknown quantity of its cultural treasures, he and the head of the Paris fire service said.

The Holy Crown of Thorns and a sacred tunic worn by 13th-century French king Louis, two irreplaceable artifacts, had been rescued, the cathedral rector Patrick Chauvet said

So you mean they didnít just use one fire truck? SMH.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2019, 08:03:25 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 457
Where will Quasimodo sleep now?

Where I come from, when someone is acting dumb, we say "he went hunchback."

There is a joke going around now:
"They asked the bell ringer of the Notre Dame, who started the fire, and he went hunchback."

We are all sad due to this unfortunate event, probably, a culturecide. But one should never pass up on a chance of making a good joke.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 09:08:43 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2019, 08:39:09 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 2176
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Hmmm, I wonder how in the world this could possibly happen. One fire hose fighting the flame.

France is gone....

One fire hose?
Also, France is gone?
Please explain

He's doing the White Genocide/Muslim takeover of Western civilization stuff but is I guess too politically correct to fully spell it out?

Giant cathedrals have a forest's worth of wood and huge open airy spaces to feed it lots of oxygen. They're firetraps and it sounds like that waterproofing made it worse. Sadly any substantial fire would've probably had a similar result.

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2019, 09:03:20 AM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• Bailey Howell

France is gone....

One fire hose?
Also, France is gone?
Please explain

He's doing the White Genocide/Muslim takeover of Western civilization stuff but is I guess too politically correct to fully spell it out?

Giant cathedrals have a forest's worth of wood and huge open airy spaces to feed it lots of oxygen. They're firetraps and it sounds like that waterproofing made it worse. Sadly any substantial fire would've probably had a similar result.
Yeah, I get it, but itís so easily disprovable. Wanted to see how deep a hole he could dig himself.

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2019, 10:51:51 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1192

France is gone....

One fire hose?
Also, France is gone?
Please explain

Yeah, I get it, but itís so easily disprovable. Wanted to see how deep a hole he could dig himself.

Ok , now let's hear from an elected French official....

"Over  the past years we have had churches all around France desecrated each and every week"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28v8TLEbWCE

Just last year a muslim woman was arrested for trying to set it on fire, she has yet to have her trial....

The church has survived 800 years through wars and everything.

But oops construction fire...

How is it white genocide? I didn't know you had to be white to be a Christian.

Gullible people, it really is amazing.

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2019, 11:39:25 AM »

Online ederson

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 244

So during construction works a fire started ....  Never happened before. It cannot be an accident . Something else happened.

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2019, 11:44:17 AM »

Offline gouki88

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 344

France is gone....

One fire hose?
Also, France is gone?
Please explain

"Over  the past years we have had churches all around France desecrated each and every week"

Just last year a muslim woman was arrested for trying to set it on fire, she has yet to have her trial....

I wouldn't go spreading the word of someone who has been convicted of libel (Karsenty) as something worth noting.

France is in a dark place, but Macron has been good for it. Plus, it isn't as if Notre Dame is gone. The spire will be rebuilt, and much of the original 900 year old or so structure survived.

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2019, 11:48:43 AM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• Bailey Howell

France is gone....

One fire hose?
Also, France is gone?
Please explain

Like a mob: catch rumor, amplify it, identify a scapegoat...

All with out ever stepping back to assess the facts and come to rational conclusions.

Mob justice is the antithesis of The American legal system.
I thought we had moved past that.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/notre-dame-conspiracy-alt-right-blaming-muslims-2019-4

Also, your ďFrench OfficialĒ is Philippe Karsenty, a media analyst who plays no role in government. He has been criticized repeatedly for promoting  false and inflammatory conspiracy theories
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 11:55:46 AM by arctic 3.0 »

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2019, 11:58:09 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith

Gullible people person, .........
Fixed that especially for you.

Hello! Guest

Welcome to the CelticsStrong Forums.

Community