Author Topic: Star Wars: Episode IX  (Read 29916 times)

Re: Rise Of Skywalker
« Reply #105 on: December 18, 2019, 02:34:10 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 575
Well I'm not sure how to feel about this. I wasn't a big fan of the last jedi, mostly because I felt like you could have replaced large sections of Finn and Poe's stories with just absolutely nothing and you would have basically ended up a the same place. The entire first two thirds of the movie were a holing pattern to get to the end. So a deviation from that would be welcome.

« Reply #106 on: December 18, 2019, 03:19:21 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 287
I haven't enjoyed anything Star Wars related since 1982 so my expectations are pretty low.

« Reply #107 on: December 18, 2019, 03:25:03 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
Oh boy; I don want to sound like a male chauvinist pig, but I am just having a hard time getting used to the heroine thing in the context of Star Wars.  Rey is a better pilot than Solo and a better Jedi than Luke - OUCH!!!

I'll watch it when it comes out for rent....

« Reply #108 on: December 18, 2019, 04:23:00 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I enjoyed The Last Jedi and appreciated a lot of the things about it that seem to have enraged online fanboys.

With that said, I agree that irrespective of whether you are a person who liked the nostalgia-retread style of The Force Awakens or the "let's try to cast off the past and make this franchise about telling new stories" slant of The Last Jedi, you ought to be able to agree that it makes no dang sense whatsoever to launch a new trilogy in a multibillion dollar franchise without a plan in place for what the story is going to do and who the main characters will be over the course of three movies.

Should be pointed out that Carrie Fisher passing away in 2016 may very well have thrown a major wrench in plans that they might have made to feature Leia (and perhaps Luke) in the story more. 

It's super weird that instead of using that as an excuse to steer the story more away from those old characters, they resorted to using deleted scenes and trying to mold the story around the deleted scenes just so they could keep Leia in the story.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #109 on: December 18, 2019, 04:43:45 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Fans at the premier gave the movie a standing ovation. Maybe because heavies were there and the fans were ridiculous, over the top fanboys but still. If the movie was really bad, do they give it a standing ovation or just polite applause and a quick exit?

Like always, I will watch and decide on my own.

« Reply #110 on: December 18, 2019, 05:37:00 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Kinda expecting it to be really bad. However, The Last Jedi was the worst Star Wars film of them all, so it can't exactly be worse than that... I think.

Rumours of re-writes and the crew trying to choose between numerous endings has me expecting nothing good though. Not that it would really sadden/disappoint me.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #111 on: December 18, 2019, 05:42:12 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Early reviews are pretty bad for this one. Screw it, though, I’ll still be there Thursday.

What doesn’t make sense to me is that JJ Abrams and Rian  Johnson were allegedly coming at the story from completely different angles. How does that happen on a project this big?  How can you not at least have a broad outline to work from? Several of the reviews indicate the new movie is disjointed, as Abrams seems to be correcting “mistakes” from the second movie. That just seems extraordinarily sloppy for a multi-billion dollar franchise.

Overall, I enjoyed the last Jedi, despite some fairly large errors. However, iit is sounding like the entire thing was a giant waste of time, as it may not have forwarded the plot at all, other than killing off the most iconic hero in the Star Wars universe.
thats because the person above them at the top. (Kathleen Kennedy) is terrible at her job. Mismanagement is the reason for this non organized trilogy with no story arc whatsoever.

George Lucas wasn’t even invited to the premiere by Disney. He was banned from coming actually. George was reportedly extremely upset that Disney brought back palpatine because it negates the entire story arc of the original trilogy... which is true.

https://youtu.be/1xzwjbCd0OY

Does anyone even have any emotional investm
ent in characters like rey? If she died in episode 9, I could care less

But we all know she will defeat everyone with her eyes closed. They’re more concerned with Gender equality than actual story telling:

https://youtu.be/CF5liIhtBHw

Also don’t forget how lazy Disney is. They committed copyright infringement and stole the art of fans to put in official Star Wars movie posters. Imagine being so creatively bankrupt that you have to copy and paste a picture of a toy palpatine for a poster too

https://youtu.be/g0CPxoC6Mno

https://youtu.be/cqQGRBfaW7A
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 05:52:35 PM by CelticsElite »

« Reply #112 on: December 18, 2019, 05:57:53 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25590
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Early reviews are pretty bad for this one. Screw it, though, I’ll still be there Thursday.

What doesn’t make sense to me is that JJ Abrams and Rian  Johnson were allegedly coming at the story from completely different angles. How does that happen on a project this big?  How can you not at least have a broad outline to work from? Several of the reviews indicate the new movie is disjointed, as Abrams seems to be correcting “mistakes” from the second movie. That just seems extraordinarily sloppy for a multi-billion dollar franchise.

Overall, I enjoyed the last Jedi, despite some fairly large errors. However, iit is sounding like the entire thing was a giant waste of time, as it may not have forwarded the plot at all, other than killing off the most iconic hero in the Star Wars universe.
thats because the person above them at the top. (Kathleen Kennedy) is terrible at her job. Mismanagement is the reason for this non organized trilogy with no story arc whatsoever.

George Lucas wasn’t even invited to the premiere by Disney. He was banned from coming actually. George was reportedly extremely upset that Disney brought back palpatine because it negates the entire story arc of the original trilogy... which is true.

Does anyone even have any emotional investment in characters like rey? If she died in episode 9, I could care less

But we all know she will defeat everyone with her eyes closed. They’re more concerned with Gender equality than actual story telling

I'm not so sure that it's a gender thing as opposed to just bad storytelling in general.  I think that any hero / heroine who is flawless is going to be tough to build a good story around.  There's nothing to hold the audience's interest, nothing relatable, no suspense.  And the villain is equally boring, although I think for different reasons.

That said...  I've enjoyed both movies.  It's Star Wars on the big screen, and seeing Luke in action again was entertaining, even if it wasn't the way I would have done things.  But, if I'm being honest, they would have been way better off just filming the Timothy Zahn movies, because there's something crappy about a Star Wars where Han and Luke are both dead.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #113 on: December 18, 2019, 06:38:14 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Does anyone even have any emotional investment in characters like rey? If she died in episode 9, I could care less

But we all know she will defeat everyone with her eyes closed. They’re more concerned with Gender equality than actual story telling

I'm not so sure that it's a gender thing as opposed to just bad storytelling in general.  I think that any hero / heroine who is flawless is going to be tough to build a good story around.  There's nothing to hold the audience's interest, nothing relatable, no suspense.  And the villain is equally boring, although I think for different reasons.

That said...  I've enjoyed both movies.  It's Star Wars on the big screen, and seeing Luke in action again was entertaining, even if it wasn't the way I would have done things.  But, if I'm being honest, they would have been way better off just filming the Timothy Zahn movies, because there's something crappy about a Star Wars where Han and Luke are both dead.
Yeah, I don't get the complaints of the gender of the main protagonist. Male, female, it really doesn't matter if the character is poorly written and developed and the acting isn't any better than "meh!"

I actually have a much bigger problem with the main antagonist, Kylo Ren. Terribly acted. Horrible inconsistencies in his story, his motivations and his character. And did I mention, ridiculously boring in every way.

« Reply #114 on: December 18, 2019, 06:45:30 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
The movie is the perfect ending to the raging dumpster fire that has the been the Disney trilogy. Not sure anything will top how horrible The Last Jedi was, but this movie sure is trying. It sounds like something a 12 year old fanfic writer would come up with.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #115 on: December 18, 2019, 09:00:25 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

we had 2 movies, and lightsabers didn’t even touch in the 2nd. It was a 2 hour space chase contingent on fuel running out.

And episode 7 was about a 3rd Death Star, and a repeat of the exact plot of episode 4.

« Reply #116 on: December 18, 2019, 09:07:30 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Who cares about reviews the movies the critics like usually don't so well in the box office.  It was bound to suffer without George Lucas loving careful touch folks.   Imitators rarely excel above the original and Abrahms is guilty of trope farming and using the same all gimmicks.

« Reply #117 on: December 18, 2019, 09:25:41 PM »

Offline Scottiej23

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 214
I didn't mind it, possibly the most enjoyable of the third trilogy instalment. Closed off the storylines reasonably well. Feels like it could of been better, but that said I can't say myself what I would have liked to have seen instead.

Some things that made me laugh;

1) The females kissing near the end. Had to have that in there I suppose, The Rebellion is all inclusive. Just amuses me that we are so hell bent on making sure movies make a point of showing inclusiveness. In my mind it comes across like it is being forced to come across as perfectly natural and normal (which of course it is), but the fact that it feels so forced and deliberate it makes it seem the exact opposite.

2) Just after that Po and Fin reunited, I felt sure for a second there that they were going to kiss as well.

3) Ray masterfully piloting that skimmer through waves that seemed bigger than those in A Perfect Storm. This despite living on a desert planet all her life. My suspension of disbelief waned for just a few moments.

While I will enjoy all the movies just because they are Star Wars, I have not been able to endear any of the new characters at all. I have no attachment to them whatsoever and in some cases I actually dislike them (Po in particular). I guess this is due to my age. Nothing will ever compare to the awestruck wonder that the first trilogy instilled in me.

Ben Solo's nose is enormous and looks like an Imperial Battleship form some angles.

« Reply #118 on: December 18, 2019, 09:48:17 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
Who cares about reviews the movies the critics like usually don't so well in the box office.  It was bound to suffer without George Lucas loving careful touch folks.   Imitators rarely excel above the original and Abrahms is guilty of trope farming and using the same all gimmicks.
Well the prequels were pretty mediocre and Lucas was all over that. Star Wars has kind of mostly been mediocre outside of maybe one or two films. I think this new trilogy's problem, although it has many,  was that it was even less coherent.

« Reply #119 on: December 18, 2019, 10:24:46 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Well the prequels were pretty mediocre and Lucas was all over that. Star Wars has kind of mostly been mediocre outside of maybe one or two films. I think this new trilogy's problem, although it has many,  was that it was even less coherent.
Lol. Ironically, the Star Wars products I enjoy the most (Kotor 1&2, Clone Wars, Mandalorian to name a couple) are not the films.

I'd trade in this whole trilogy for a new Kotor game :(
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)