Author Topic: New Zealand reforming gun laws/US gun debate after another shooting  (Read 16829 times)

Re: New Zealand reforming gun laws/US gun debate after another shooting
« Reply #360 on: September 04, 2019, 08:12:40 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1352
San Francisco board passes resolution labeling NRA "domestic terrorist organization".

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/san-francisco-board-passes-resolution-labeling-nra-domestic-terrorist-organization/ar-AAGNz0O?ocid=spartanntp

What a great way to drum up support for the NRA and further harden gun rights activists.  It's like these fools decided to bring the red meat themselves.

Dummies...lol

« Reply #361 on: September 04, 2019, 11:53:56 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2709
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
San Francisco board passes resolution labeling NRA "domestic terrorist organization".

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/san-francisco-board-passes-resolution-labeling-nra-domestic-terrorist-organization/ar-AAGNz0O?ocid=spartanntp

What a great way to drum up support for the NRA and further harden gun rights activists.  It's like these fools decided to bring the red meat themselves.

Dummies...lol

Agree. Such an obviously terrible move. No matter how much we want or Iíd argue need a different approach to gun control, none of it happens if we canít get bipartisan support. This kind of things makes rational peopleís jobs harder.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #362 on: September 05, 2019, 04:42:38 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1126
there it is ...liberals quick to call out their own when they go extreme, but when have conservatives ever broken ranks and called out the NRA for being so intransigent on gun control debate?

« Reply #363 on: September 05, 2019, 10:18:13 AM »

Online nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 6190
there it is ...liberals quick to call out their own when they go extreme, but when have conservatives ever broken ranks and called out the NRA for being so intransigent on gun control debate?
Liberal people yes...liberal politicians, not so much. And it's much the same with many egregious stuff Trump does. Lots of conservative people call out Trump for many of his stupid stuff....conservative politicians, not so much.

I will say there is definitely a very pro Trump group of conservative people that do not call out Trump for some of his more egregious stuff and agree with him but most of them are the 20-30% of this country that are conservative but tend to be... how do I say this nicely...."nice people" on the other side...as Trump might say.

« Reply #364 on: September 18, 2019, 12:57:19 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Kyrie Irving
  • Tommy Points: 184
A New York clothing company has introduced school shooting hoodies that have bullet holes in them
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/school-shooting-hoodies-with-bullet-holes-land-fashion-company-in-hot-water/ar-AAHtsk4?ocid=spartanntp

My initial reaction was (and still is) that the idea is ridiculous. No company should be able to try to make a profit from tragedies like these. My next thought was, but the gun companies that made these guns in these mass shootings, are still selling them and making a profit too.

BTW, itís one thing to want to try and sell these hoodies, but who in their right mind will buy and wear them?

« Reply #365 on: September 18, 2019, 01:18:25 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1113
  • Feed me pills and happy meals
A New York clothing company has introduced school shooting hoodies that have bullet holes in them
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/school-shooting-hoodies-with-bullet-holes-land-fashion-company-in-hot-water/ar-AAHtsk4?ocid=spartanntp

My initial reaction was (and still is) that the idea is ridiculous. No company should be able to try to make a profit from tragedies like these. My next thought was, but the gun companies that made these guns in these mass shootings, are still selling them and making a profit too.

BTW, itís one thing to want to try and sell these hoodies, but who in their right mind will buy and wear them?

I don't have any problem with it...as long as the company is donating a portion of the profits to gun law advocacy groups (this is not discussed in the article). These hoodies are an artistic expression (have you ever been to a contemporary art museum?), but more obviously a statement piece of clothing. I can totally see teenagers who are against guns buying and wearing these things.

It may make the families of some of the deceased angry/upset, but people who buy these would actually be helping to further awareness of an epidemic that seemingly cannot be stopped...certainly not by our politicians.

« Reply #366 on: September 18, 2019, 01:28:30 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 1163
  • What a Pub Should Be

I don't have any problem with it...as long as the company is donating a portion of the profits to gun law advocacy groups (this is not discussed in the article). These hoodies are an artistic expression (have you ever been to a contemporary art museum?), but more obviously a statement piece of clothing. I can totally see teenagers who are against guns buying and wearing these things.

It may make the families of some of the deceased angry/upset, but people who buy these would actually be helping to further awareness of an epidemic that seemingly cannot be stopped...certainly not by our politicians.

There's gotta be better ways to bring awareness on gun violence prevention than trying to hawk clothing with bullet holes in them.  Just a stupid & disrespectful idea, IMO.  Those victims' families have every right to be p---ed off.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #367 on: September 18, 2019, 01:31:06 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

There's gotta be better ways to bring awareness on gun violence prevention than trying to hawk clothing with bullet holes in them.  Just a stupid & disrespectful idea, IMO.  Those victims' families have every right to be p---ed off.

https://twitter.com/sandyhook/status/1174291982857883653?s=20

Everyone seen this?

« Reply #368 on: September 18, 2019, 02:19:17 PM »

Online nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith

Everyone seen this?
I saw this. It's scary as hell. And extremely thought provoking.

« Reply #369 on: September 18, 2019, 02:21:18 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Everyone seen this?
I saw this. It's scary as hell. And extremely thought provoking.

My wife's first reaction was, "screw that, we're homeschooling".

« Reply #370 on: September 19, 2019, 06:20:21 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1172
I don't know about the hoodies.   But those backpacks  folks are selling also won't work against assault rifles.  I suppose it is another reason to ban them.

Next, Geier planned to test the pack against an even more powerful weapon, his Colt M4, an assault rifle similar to the AR-15s used in many mass shootings.

ďYou wonít even see the backpack move,Ē Geier said. ďItíll go through like a hot knife through butter.Ē

Geier took the M4 rifle in both hands. Both backpack companies say their products were not designed to protect a person from a weapon as powerful as an M4.

But unless you're an expert in firearms, this may not be obvious.

ďAll shields are tested to Level IIIA standards, making them one of the most impenetrable shields, stopping almost every type of bullet,Ē according to a description on tuffypacks.com.

https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/2019/08/15/bulletproof-backpack-for-kids-under-fire-do-these-backpacks-hold-up/2017751001/

« Reply #371 on: September 19, 2019, 07:54:19 AM »

Offline jambr380

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1113
  • Feed me pills and happy meals

I think people are looking at this from the wrong perspective. One of the easiest forms of protest is through clothing. If you are a teen and you disagree with the gun laws in this country, I can't think of a more powerful thing to wear than one of these hoodies. As an almost 40 year old, I am still happy to throw on a Bad Religion cross-buster t-shirt; it allows others to know how I feel about their religion without having to tell each and every one of them how I feel.

This company has created a very controversial line of apparel. They seem to be quite expensive and I haven't hear about money going to anti-gun causes, but they aren't even available yet. If they become more available to kids and they end up donating a portion of the profits, then I don't really see this as disrespectful, but rather as a way to help stop this horrible violence.

« Reply #372 on: September 19, 2019, 10:41:00 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 1163
  • What a Pub Should Be

I think people are looking at this from the wrong perspective. One of the easiest forms of protest is through clothing. If you are a teen and you disagree with the gun laws in this country, I can't think of a more powerful thing to wear than one of these hoodies. As an almost 40 year old, I am still happy to throw on a Bad Religion cross-buster t-shirt; it allows others to know how I feel about their religion without having to tell each and every one of them how I feel.

This company has created a very controversial line of apparel. They seem to be quite expensive and I haven't hear about money going to anti-gun causes, but they aren't even available yet. If they become more available to kids and they end up donating a portion of the profits, then I don't really see this as disrespectful, but rather as a way to help stop this horrible violence.

I don't know.  If I was a Sandy Hook parent & saw some teen walking around with in a "Sandy Hook" shirt riddled with bullet holes, I'd be pretty p---ed off & upset.    Hell, I have no attachment at all to that tragedy and I would cringe if I saw that shirt on the streets.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #373 on: September 19, 2019, 10:53:21 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1599

I don't know.  If I was a Sandy Hook parent & saw some teen walking around with in a "Sandy Hook" shirt riddled with bullet holes, I'd be pretty p---ed off & upset.    Hell, I have no attachment at all to that tragedy and I would cringe if I saw that shirt on the streets.

I wouldnít buy or wear one.  I wouldnít sell one (if I were a clothing store). If my kids (now in their 20s) wanted one, I wouldnít have allowed it.

Freedom allows it and Iím ok with it in that sense. Just not ok for me.

« Reply #374 on: September 19, 2019, 12:25:44 PM »

Online nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
Given the PSA that Sandy Hook Promise put out, are the parents of Sandy Hook victims going to be upset with clothes that have Sandy Hook and bullet holes on them? Perhaps a shock political message is something they want to push.

Hello! Guest

Welcome to the CelticsStrong Forums.

Community

Signup to win FREE tickets

* indicates required