Poll

Should Election Day Be A Federal Holiday?

Yes.
18 (78.3%)
No.
5 (21.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Should Election Day Be A Federal Holiday?  (Read 623 times)

Should Election Day Be A Federal Holiday?
« on: January 30, 2019, 02:02:47 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2712
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
It's a big ol deal right now in the Senate, wondering where ppl stand. If you got reasons you want to state, state them!

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Re: Should Election Day Be A Federal Holiday?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 02:04:12 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 706
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
It's a big ol deal right now in the Senate, wondering where ppl stand. If you got reasons you want to state, state them!

Considering election day is the most important day in determining who becomes our President, I believe so too.

It's also hard to make sound and well established decisions if you have a busy schedule, and are rushing to get errands/rest of day done. It also allows more voters to vote, and that would be a great step forward to allowing more voices to be heard.

"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 02:14:17 PM »

Online mef730

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 658
Absolutely.

And I can think of no greater honor to the veterans who fought and died for our country to combine Veterans Day and election day, so we can all remember what they were fighting for.

Mike

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 02:15:50 PM »

Offline cons

• Kyrie Irving
  • Tommy Points: 78
yes, or they should move the election day to be on a day thats already a holiday or a weekend or a sunday. hard to get out and vote for many people if youre working and have the usual daily chores to get to in the middle of the week. i've always wondered why they dont have it on a different day, it would seem to make sense.

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 02:18:38 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2712
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
yes, or they should move the election day to be on a day thats already a holiday or a weekend or a sunday. hard to get out and vote for many people if youre working and have the usual daily chores to get to in the middle of the week. i've always wondered why they dont have it on a different day, it would seem to make sense.

This is probably the best way to get people to vote but it couldn't be a Sunday. Too much religious objection.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 02:22:34 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 225
Yes, absolutely.

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 02:30:48 PM »

Offline celts55

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 117

This is probably the best way to get people to vote but it couldn't be a Sunday. Too much religious objection.

And football.  ;D
Seriously, I believe it should be extended to a full week. During the course of a week, you should be able to fine time to vote, and it would reduce or eliminate the lines.

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 02:31:47 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 148
Absolutely.

And I can think of no greater honor to the veterans who fought and died for our country to combine Veterans Day and election day, so we can all remember what they were fighting for.

Mike

That would be fitting to combine those days.

A day you can vote for the politicians that have been selected by the NWO to send new troops across the world to defend the interests of the NWO and at the same you can see what damage that has done to the old troops.

I'm not sure that's much reason for celebration though.
George Carlin ó 'That's why they call it the American Dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it.'

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 02:33:16 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2239
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Yes.  Voting should be as straightforward as possible, starting with as many people as possible having the day free. The only sticking point is how often - just federal Presidential and midterm cycles? Or local/state off-year elections too?

I'd also like to see it moved to a Monday - it was originally Tuesday so farmers and rural folks wouldn't have to break the Sabbath to travel the day before to get to their polls on time, which is pretty moot now. Make it Monday and the holiday attaches to the weekend a lot more easily.

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 02:36:01 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1877
  • bammokja
of course it should! everyone should be able to vote and contribute to the political process without worrying about time off, scheduling, and such.

the US is one of the few countries that do NOT give people the day off.

https://www.countable.us/articles/12558-americans-get-day-vote

american will vote more if they have the day off.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy ó not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2019, 02:52:06 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 1168
  • What a Pub Should Be
Absolutely.

What's the argument against it?  More voter turnout & being fearful of what might happen?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2019, 02:54:23 PM »

Online mef730

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 658

I've thought about this. Can't do it Sunday or Saturday because of religious objections.

So why not do it both days?

Mike

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2019, 02:55:47 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27334
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
Yes.  Itís a State holiday in NJ, and it seemed to work well.

I guess the counter argument is probably that there are so many alternative ways to vote (absentee, early voting) that anybody who wants to can, and another paid day off would cost the government and some employers a substantial amount of money.
Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2019, 02:56:11 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 324
Absolutely.

What's the argument against it?  More voter turnout & being fearful of what might happen?

The argument against, I think, would be that businesses won't want to pay people who take the day off and people who earn wages and need the money won't want to lose the pay.

I'm agnostic on whether it should be a day off. It's important to me that we make it possible, and not unreasonably hard, for every eligible voter to vote. There is probably more than one way to do that. E.g., extended early voting periods or mail-in balloting. Maybe a day off is the best way, maybe not. I haven't looked at all the pros and cons.

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2019, 03:01:07 PM »

Offline gift

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 183
I mean, which election days will be holidays? Because if people have the same challenges for voting in primaries it only encourages general election participation, which relatively limits their choice.