Author Topic: Trump On His Shutdown: (It Could Last) Months Of Even Years  (Read 7070 times)

Re: Trump On His Shutdown: (It Could Last) Months Of Even Years
« Reply #180 on: January 25, 2019, 01:58:25 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2239
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Shutdown appears to be almost over, Trump's making a speech shortly. 3 week CR, no wall money, maybe some empty threats. Art of the Deal, baby!

If it does turn out this way it looks like the biggest factors were some atrocious polling for Trump and the Rs, and major rumblings of imminent strikes from air traffic controllers and flight attendant unions. I honestly wish more workers had organized and walked off the job the day the first paycheck was missed, because that was the most plausible route for the impasse to end. Especially if they did it in DC.

« Reply #181 on: January 25, 2019, 02:32:30 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2712
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Shutdown appears to be almost over, Trump's making a speech shortly. 3 week CR, no wall money, maybe some empty threats. Art of the Deal, baby!

If it does turn out this way it looks like the biggest factors were some atrocious polling for Trump and the Rs, and major rumblings of imminent strikes from air traffic controllers and flight attendant unions. I honestly wish more workers had organized and walked off the job the day the first paycheck was missed, because that was the most plausible route for the impasse to end. Especially if they did it in DC.

Man that speech though. Sounds like such a whiny child!

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #182 on: January 25, 2019, 02:46:30 PM »

Online blink

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 606
hahaha what a negotiator our great president is.  There was a big ****storm brewing for him from threatened strikes by the air traffic controllers and other government workers, his approval ratings were just tanking, and he was losing some of the republican support in the senate.

Trump completely caved, no other way around it.  What a huge freaking storm of dumbness.  35 days of a shutdown to hurt federal employees.  All for nothing.  The white house staff applauding the president on the side of that speech was just lunatic fringe.  Trump, Kusher, Wilbur Ross, Sanders, McConnell, all these people are just nuts and or liars.

Now hopefully some of this non-sense can stop, all the federal employees can get their back pay.  Unfortunately we are looking at the same thing again in 3 weeks.

But Trump gets his distraction from the Roger Stone indictment, so he has that.

« Reply #183 on: January 25, 2019, 02:52:10 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2239
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I didn't listen, just read some written excerpts. They wound up taking what they originally passed over a month ago then insisted they'd never accept.  All that suffering and chaos for absolutely nothing.

I hope this teaches the parties to never shut down the government for political leverage again, that it's the political equivalent of touching the hot stove and we won't see anything like it again for years and years and years. But I don't have much faith in it.

Unfortunately we are looking at the same thing again in 3 weeks.

I've been wrong before but I don't think even Trump is dumb enough to try this again anytime soon, or that Republican leadership would let him. Just like the ACA shutdown they got pasted while committing own-goal after own-goal, starting right off the bat by conceding to the Dems the far more popular and sane position of wanting the government open and not demanding any concessions to do it.

« Reply #184 on: January 25, 2019, 03:00:05 PM »

Online blink

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 606

I didn't listen, just read some written excerpts. They wound up taking what they originally passed over a month ago then insisted they'd never accept.  All that suffering and chaos for absolutely nothing.

I hope this teaches the parties to never shut down the government for political leverage again, that it's the political equivalent of touching the hot stove and we won't see anything like it again for years and years and years. But I don't have much faith in it.

Unfortunately we are looking at the same thing again in 3 weeks.

I've been wrong before but I don't think even Trump is dumb enough to try this again anytime soon, or that Republican leadership would let him. Just like the ACA shutdown they got pasted while committing own-goal after own-goal, starting right off the bat by conceding to the Dems the far more popular and sane position of wanting the government open and not demanding any concessions to do it.

Man I hope you are right

« Reply #185 on: January 25, 2019, 03:05:07 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 58
hahaha what a negotiator our great president is.  There was a big ****storm brewing for him from threatened strikes by the air traffic controllers and other government workers, his approval ratings were just tanking, and he was losing some of the republican support in the senate.

Trump completely caved, no other way around it.  What a huge freaking storm of dumbness.  35 days of a shutdown to hurt federal employees.  All for nothing.  The white house staff applauding the president on the side of that speech was just lunatic fringe.  Trump, Kusher, Wilbur Ross, Sanders, McConnell, all these people are just nuts and or liars.

Now hopefully some of this non-sense can stop, all the federal employees can get their back pay.  Unfortunately we are looking at the same thing again in 3 weeks.

But Trump gets his distraction from the Roger Stone indictment, so he has that.
At the end of his rant speech, he said if any law passes, then he most likely will use his powers to address this Trump-made crisis!
If you ask me, he will try for the next 3 weeks to do damage to Dems hoping they will cave and then still use emergency funding for the wall.....Tired of all the winning.

« Reply #186 on: January 25, 2019, 03:25:23 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 697
or that Republican leadership would let him

What, exactly, is this odd term you used?

Where is it to be found?
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #187 on: January 25, 2019, 03:28:55 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 700
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
The speech was all lies.  I NEVER give him a second of my time, but I was in the car channel-flipping so I listed for 90 seconds, full of lies and distortions.  Meanwhile another mass shooting (let me guess, an american-born right-wing extremist?), but 45 continues to try to convince us that the immigrants are the real threat.

I'm glad for the 800,000, for the moment, but I don't expect any progress in these 3 weeks and they will be out of their jobs again.

« Reply #188 on: January 25, 2019, 03:29:52 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 700
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
or that Republican leadership would let him

What, exactly, is this odd term you used?

Where is it to be found?
Traitor MacConnell

« Reply #189 on: January 25, 2019, 04:41:25 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1877
  • bammokja

that is because he is.

and...

[​IMG]
Bernie Sanders

✔@SenSanders

How pathetic. On Dec. 19, the Senate unanimously passed essentially the same legislation that we will vote on today. We are back to exactly where we started. Thank you, Mr. President, for shutting down the government and holding 800,000 federal employees hostage. All for nothing!

1:46 PM - Jan 25, 2019
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva