Author Topic: Trump On His Shutdown: (It Could Last) Months Of Even Years  (Read 6372 times)

Re: Trump On His Shutdown: (It Could Last) Months Of Even Years
« Reply #105 on: January 12, 2019, 12:28:43 PM »

Offline adam8

• Gordon Hayward
  • Tommy Points: 54
"Not fullproof, as I said but it would help.   I lived in El Paso and was stationed in Fort Bliss.   What is completely silly is folks like you acting like walls do not work at all.   Virtually all civilizations since 8000 BC used walls for defense and to protect we still use them today."

Never said walls don't work at all but I think I made the point that walls by themselves don't work, if we are going to have people close enough to every foot of the wall to immediately apprehend people then what's the point of the Wall? To build a wall and then add that much technology and that many people how much are we spending 100billion+?

"And yet areas with the walls on our present border"

Wait it's almost like democrats believe in strategic fencing and common sense border security who would have thought.

"In fact, people like you and your ilk have made me more conservative in the last few years, I don't like either party.   My wife also feels this way and I have to wonder if others do as well.   I think the left is having their Tea Party movement and lurched towards extremism and it will come back to haunt them once their common enemy Pres. Trump leaves as they will destroy each other just like the Tea Party did to the GOP.  Enjoy the ride."

Soooooo if I get this correct the fact that the democrats might become extremist like the tea party has pushed you toward the party that is already extremist(according to you). If it haunts democrats so much that they take over the house and senate for 4 straight elections and win the presidency then democrats will be shaking in their boots.

"But he is right about walls working, but the cost my outweigh the results"

This is what it is all about strategic fencing where a bunch of immigrants cross, that makes sense stop the flow of people. A giant wall in the middle of a desert 10s of miles from the closest road or person is not good use of tax payer money. If we are going to spend 5.7 billion shouldn't we get something that is effective and isn't just a money trap indefinitely until we decided to stop maintaining it.

« Reply #106 on: January 12, 2019, 03:27:07 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
so if Trump declares an emergency and bypasses Congress then he gets what he wants which is funding for his wall. if thats the case then when WILL the government open back up? House Dems can then pass a bill without funding and Im sure Senate Republicans will approve, right? at that point there would be no excuses as to include wall funding OR not include wall funding. Im asking bc it only seems logical that hes holding federal employees hostage until he gets what he wants.

In other words hes holding federal employees hostage because he cant get what he wants. THERE IS NO OTHER WAY TO LOOK AT IT.

« Reply #107 on: January 12, 2019, 05:56:05 PM »

Online Celtics4ever

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1135
Wait it's almost like democrats believe in strategic fencing and common sense border security who would have thought.

Nope they used to believe in it all until Pres. Trump came into office.  These are from newsclips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijLJSTGA3hs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHnGFkUS_lc

So they are hypocrits of the worst sort, no? But that is often true of both parties.

« Reply #108 on: January 12, 2019, 06:52:40 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27402
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
In other words hes holding federal employees hostage because he cant get what he wants. THERE IS NO OTHER WAY TO LOOK AT IT.

Isnít that how veto power / checks and balances work?

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #109 on: January 12, 2019, 07:10:18 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 6039

I don't remember discussing in my Civics class that checks and balances, included stopping American voters from working and getting paid for that work, was a part of the political checks and balances system.

I have hated when the government is shuttered for nothing but political reasons. It has been wrong whenever it has happened. The poor people in the IRS and TSA and other divisions of the government should not have to suffer financially because Washington politicians don't have their crap in order

« Reply #110 on: January 12, 2019, 07:36:34 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I don't remember discussing in my Civics class that checks and balances, included stopping American voters from working and getting paid for that work, was a part of the political checks and balances system.

I have hated when the government is shuttered for nothing but political reasons. It has been wrong whenever it has happened. The poor people in the IRS and TSA and other divisions of the government should not have to suffer financially because Washington politicians don't have their crap in order

Government shutdowns are simply the inability to pass a budget, or in this era, a continuing resolution. 

If the President vetoes a budget, thatís checks and balances. Itís the functional equivalent of whatís happening here: the President refusing to sign a continuing resolution (I.e., threatening to veto it) unless it contains his budget priorities.

« Reply #111 on: January 12, 2019, 09:05:04 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 6039

Government shutdowns are simply the inability to pass a budget, or in this era, a continuing resolution. 

If the President vetoes a budget, thatís checks and balances. Itís the functional equivalent of whatís happening here: the President refusing to sign a continuing resolution (I.e., threatening to veto it) unless it contains his budget priorities.
Oh, I know it is what it is, I just find it disgusting when millionaire and billionaire politicians decide to use middle class people's finances in their political struggles. I think it's disgusting.

« Reply #112 on: January 12, 2019, 10:14:39 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 266

Oh, I know it is what it is, I just find it disgusting when millionaire and billionaire politicians decide to use middle class people's finances in their political struggles. I think it's disgusting.
No, no, whether it's bad for people isn't what's important.

The important part is that the system is working correctly. Thank goodness.

« Reply #113 on: January 14, 2019, 11:14:27 AM »

Offline Moranis

• Global Moderator
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 1027

It isn't exactly working correctly when Senate passes a bill that the House refuses to vote on.  Then a few weeks later, the House passes the exact same bill that the Senate now refuses to vote on.  That is not how the system is supposed to work.

« Reply #114 on: January 14, 2019, 11:32:30 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

It isn't exactly working correctly when Senate passes a bill that the House refuses to vote on.  Then a few weeks later, the House passes the exact same bill that the Senate now refuses to vote on.  That is not how the system is supposed to work.
No, but itís all the functional equivalent of a Trump veto.

« Reply #115 on: January 14, 2019, 11:43:37 AM »

Online Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 981

If its bad for the people then the system IS NOT working correctly. The whole idea of our government is of the people, by the people, FOR the people

« Reply #116 on: January 14, 2019, 11:59:00 AM »

Offline Moranis

• Global Moderator
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 1027

No, but itís all the functional equivalent of a Trump veto.
But they have the votes to override the veto.  That is why Ryan killed it and now why McConnell is killing it.  They are essentially pawns for the executive branch and not acting like a separate and equal branch.

« Reply #117 on: January 15, 2019, 07:07:27 AM »

Online Celtics4ever

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1135

It also did not talk about district judges being so partisan, but it happened.

You can thanks Schummer and McConnell for this mindset.

If its bad for the people then the system IS NOT working correctly. The whole idea of our government is of the people, by the people, FOR the people

Not in any more it is for the PARTY

« Reply #118 on: January 15, 2019, 08:57:30 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2243
Its probably better the goverment both parties control the border and do it per the law and soon I d say .

both parties kicking the can down the road .  Because of votes , sucking up to the latino vote. 

.....you would not want to see the public have to go to the border and do the the job of the goverment our goverment seems to want to ignore. That could really get of hand. 

Millions of people can't just decide to move into a country on a whim to get freebees .  Tha just not work like that.

Do the politicians really think the american public will stand by and let our country be torn apart and invaded while they play politics . 

« Reply #119 on: January 15, 2019, 09:36:41 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2485
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Millions of people can't just decide to move into a country on a whim to get freebees .  Tha just not work like that.

What are Ďfreebeesí? How are they allocated to illegal immigrants?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Hello! Guest

Welcome to the CelticsStrong Forums.

Community

Signup to win FREE tickets

* indicates required