Author Topic: Shockingly, I agree with Alexandria Oscasio-Cortez on something...  (Read 1039 times)

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27554
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
Politics aside, I usually find Oscasio-Cortez to be as dumb as a box of hammers.  She's the opposite of a "wonk"; she's a populist who promises things that in no way can ever be delivered (draw your own parallels here).

But, she tweeted this:

Next time we have a gov shutdown, Congressional salaries should be furloughed as well.

Itís completely unacceptable that members of Congress can force a government shutdown on partisan lines & then have Congressional salaries exempt from that decision.

Have some integrity.

That sounds like common sense to me.  Of course, it wouldn't hurt most members of Congress, because let's be honest:  most of them are quite wealthy, with plenty of savings to make it a month or two with no salary.

So, I'd go a step farther than AOC.  During a government shutdown, members of Congress and their staffs can't engage in re-election or fundraising campaigns. 

With the current shutdown, there have been two years to actually work together and reach a compromise.  However, there's no incentive for either side to really move off their talking points.  Maybe shutting down their gravy train would make all sides more willing to come to the table.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

Re: Shockingly, I agree with Alexandria Oscasio-Cortez on something...
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 11:19:01 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1106
I liked this suggestion, too.

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 11:26:00 AM »

Offline Erik

• Kyrie Irving
  • Tommy Points: 147
  • The voice of reason
Is it really congessí fault though that the idiot wants 5 billion for a project that costs 60? If they agree, they have each failed to do what the people elected them to do.

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 11:30:42 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Kyrie Irving
  • Tommy Points: 113
Is it really congessí fault though that the idiot wants 5 billion for a project that costs 60? If they agree, they have each failed to do what the people elected them to do.

Itís their fault that they canít pass a long term budget and avoid being in these situations multiple times a year.
Celticsblog.com since before the days of Miracle Johan

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 11:46:52 AM »

Offline jambr380

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 989
  • Living well is the best revenge...

Itís their fault that they canít pass a long term budget and avoid being in these situations multiple times a year.

I guess, but what is the other side supposed to do when Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter are currently running this part of the negotiation?

As for the original topic, I absolutely agree with Roy. Frankly, nobody should be exempt - it takes away from the whole point. Maybe everybody would take the meaning of 'government shutdown' more seriously.

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2018, 11:59:35 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27554
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .

Welp, the idiot was elected too.

I think a DACA + amnesty / wall compromise has always made sense.

But itís not this one issue. Itís multiple times a year, in every administration.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2018, 12:13:31 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 380

But itís not this one issue. Itís multiple times a year, in every administration.
Unfortunately the extremes dominate both parties.  There's no strong moderate leadership in either party to make the compromises to get a deal done. 

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2018, 12:27:36 PM »

Offline elcotte

• Gordon Hayward
  • Tommy Points: 52
Politics aside, I usually find Oscasio-Cortez to be as dumb as a box of hammers.  She's the opposite of a "wonk"; she's a populist who promises things that in no way can ever be delivered (draw your own parallels here).

But, she tweeted this:

Next time we have a gov shutdown, Congressional salaries should be furloughed as well.

Itís completely unacceptable that members of Congress can force a government shutdown on partisan lines & then have Congressional salaries exempt from that decision.

Have some integrity.

That sounds like common sense to me.  Of course, it wouldn't hurt most members of Congress, because let's be honest:  most of them are quite wealthy, with plenty of savings to make it a month or two with no salary.

So, I'd go a step farther than AOC.  During a government shutdown, members of Congress and their staffs can't engage in re-election or fundraising campaigns. 

With the current shutdown, there have been two years to actually work together and reach a compromise.  However, there's no incentive for either side to really move off their talking points.  Maybe shutting down their gravy train would make all sides more willing to come to the table.

Obviously, these days being dumb as a box of rocks can actually get you to the top.

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2018, 01:00:40 PM »

Offline matteo

• Kyrie Irving
  • Tommy Points: 101

they are both Idiots

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2018, 01:06:04 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1532
Congressional pay furlough AND mandatory that they stay in session and remain in DC until they can come to an agreement.   

Only give them access to water and romaine lettuce....

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2018, 01:39:11 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 252

But, she tweeted this:

Have some integrity.

Obviously, these days being dumb as a box of rocks can actually get you to the top.

Shutting down the government to get the wall funded is not ďseeking compromise.Ē  Itís the Limbaugh-Coulter wing of the party reminding the President that he needs to follow and feed his base with symbolic acts of defiance. The fact that the GOP just suffered a historic pummeling in the election, in part over this issue, he ignores.

He could have had a compromise of DACA for the Wall a long, long time ago. Now he has far less leverage. The terms of a compromise will, necessarily, be more favorable to Ds, not less. As trump supporters never tired of reminding us before November, elections have consequences.

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2018, 04:57:43 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1010
no brainer ..... congress should do its job and pass a budget,,if they do not then they should not be paid period and no retroactive pay either.

If the congress passes a budget and the president vetoes it without a compromise budget he can pass, and this leads to shutdown of government then the president and his cabinet do not get paid, and no retro pay either.

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2018, 05:47:22 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1300
I'm going to classify this under, 'even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while'.  But yes, I agree here as well (although I find it hard to believe anyone other than the members of Congress themselves wouldn't agree).

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2018, 05:50:47 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1010
I'm going to classify this under, 'even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while'.  But yes, I agree here as well (although I find it hard to believe anyone other than the members of Congress themselves wouldn't agree).

It is amazing that they are exempt from the furlough ....where is the outrage!!!!

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2018, 06:11:41 PM »

Online liam

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 939
Congress should also get the same health care as every other American!