Author Topic: Trump pulls US troops out of Syria, declares 'victory'.  (Read 1158 times)

Re: Trump pulls US troops out of Syria, declares 'victory'.
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2018, 08:14:57 PM »

Online Chris22

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 405
The headline should read, "Putin Pulls U.S. Troops Out Of Syria."

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2018, 09:05:43 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1532
And just like that, CB Forums became Pro-War.  ;D ;D

I, among others, made no statement of agreement or disagreement about Trump's move.  Many of the comments (and my concern) is that there seems to be an overwhelming number of informed people (as opposed to uninformed people like me) on both sides of the aisle who think Trump's move is premature, shortsighted, and will result in an ISIS resurgance since they actually haven't been defeated.  It concerns me when people that I presume to know more about these issues than I do, people like Jim Mattis, Lyndsey Graham, William Cohen and dozens of other well-informed Rs and Ds have responded negatively and fearfully.   Rand Paul, who I disagree with on many things but respect as an intelligent person is, as expected, in agreement with the move.

But... as true with the economy and complex foreign affairs issues, I don't know jack compared to folks who live it and study it daily.   I defer to them.  And "they" seem to be mostly opposed to Trump's actions in this case.   I don't think that acknowledging that knowledgeable people think this is a dangerous move is "pro-war" as you've characterized it.   Rather, it's pro-listening. 

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2018, 06:51:38 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1106
I think we've blown this situation in the Middle since it developed at the end of British Colonization.  We can't even trust our allies there.  A war that never ends is great for the industrial military business and many against this I am sure are heavily compensated.  Russia wants a crack at it, and people fear them filling the vacuum once we live.   But we really never were in control of the area, and have deceived ourselves in thinking that we were.

I have mixed feelings on the issue, we leave there will be a power vacuum filled with China and Russia.   But then they were inherit these unreliable allies and the never ending war and the animus that comes with being an occupier that caused these terror attacks in the first place.   They will inherit the cost of these wars as well which have increased our debt to high levels with little geopolitical results.   

Of course, other countries are against it, because they use us as the World Policeman.   Of course, Mattis, Graham, Cohen, Cheney and guys like Rumsfield are against it because they are lobbied heavily by the industrial military complex.   I think Russia and China may get more than they bargained for just we did when we filled the void of the British leaving.

I, among others, made no statement of agreement or disagreement about Trump's move.  Many of the comments (and my concern) is that there seems to be an overwhelming number of informed people (as opposed to uninformed people like me) on both sides of the aisle who think Trump's move is premature, shortsighted, and will result in an ISIS resurgance since they actually haven't been defeated.  It concerns me when people that I presume to know more about these issues than I do, people like Jim Mattis, Lyndsey Graham, William Cohen and dozens of other well-informed Rs and Ds have responded negatively and fearfully.   Rand Paul, who I disagree with on many things but respect as an intelligent person is, as expected, in agreement with the move.

Yet, these folks I would guess are not people whose opinion you would value normally.   But they go against Pres. Trump and all the sudden they are wise counsel.  Be honest is this the case.

There are going to be consequences if we stay, or if we leave regardless.  In many ways this is a no win situation.   

Never get in a land war is Asia, could just as easilty be never get in a land war in the middle east.

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2018, 01:48:44 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1300
Frankly, I'd like to see us take our military out of all these situations across the globe.

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2018, 03:51:39 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 615
So in summary, Trump is offering the following Christmas gifts to Vladimir:

1) Pull U.S. military presence out of Syria.
2) Pull U.S. military presence out of Afghanistan.
3) Received Mattis' (someone the Russian's did not like) resignation.
4) Delist RUSAL sanctions.

The latter one has flown under the radar but is important.  Basically the Treasury Department (at the behest of the Administration) has notified intent to remove sanctions on the businesses of Oleg V. Deripaska (a powerful pal of Vladimir Putin), who was being sanctioned for Russian interference in U.S. elections.   This is a big, fat gift:

https://home.treasury.gov/news/press-releases/sm576

Talk shows on Russian television are full of glee with all these news bits.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/russia-gloats-over-departure-trump-is-ours-again

State TV host Olga Skabeeva surmised that Americans are “losers, since Putin has defeated them in every way.” With a theatrical sigh, her co-host, Evgeny Popov, added: “Trump is ours again—what are you going to do?” Every member of the sizeable audience enthusiastically clapped. While these statements are decidedly sarcastic, Russian opinion makers recount the Kremlin’s victories with unmistakable glee. Popov smirked: “It seems to Americans that we won on every front: the U.S. Secretary of Defense has been removed, we unquestionably secured a complete, unconditional victory in Syria.” Skabeeva chimed in: “They’re also planning to leave Afghanistan.”

Discussing the planned departure of the U.S. from Syria, state TV host Olga Skabeeva pondered why Trump suddenly decided to leave at this point in time: “Americans say, it’s because he is beholden to Putin. Is that logical? Yes, it is.”
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2018, 04:23:17 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 615
And keep your eyes on our presence in Okinawa.

Putin has been making noises, complaining about that lately, and he has a chip to negotiate with Japan over (some islands that the Soviet Union seized control over at the end of WW II).

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2018, 06:09:05 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1532

Yet, these folks I would guess are not people whose opinion you would value normally.   But they go against Pres. Trump and all the sudden they are wise counsel.  Be honest is this the case.

There are going to be consequences if we stay, or if we leave regardless.  In many ways this is a no win situation.   

Never get in a land war is Asia, could just as easilty be never get in a land war in the middle east.

You have incorrectly presumed my political opinions.  I like William Cohen a lot (always have), I like Mattis, and occasionally, I like Graham.  I lean left, but am more moderate than anything.  In recent elections I favored Kasich over everyone, voted for Hillary in the final, voted for Baker for governor and abstained from the Warren vote as I didn't like either candidate.   But, you also missed my point...  I was trying to suggest that what we had was about as close to consensus as we ever get re: the response to Trump's pullout in Syria.  I wasn't agreeing with anyone in particular, but listening to a pretty convincing bipartisan reaction from credible people. 

« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2018, 09:05:38 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1106
Sorry for assuming Nuerotic Guy, we need more moderates and less of the hard core right and left in this country!

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2019, 07:09:23 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
I don't trust Trump, but there are some people in Europe who believe that Trump is secretly trying to overthrow the power of the neocons. One thing is for sure that it's really unlikely that these actions by Trump are on their agenda.

I think that Trump doesn't have a clue what he's doing, but that he has such an ego that he's able to be stubborn enough to make his own decisions and by that accidently does things that will limit the damage that the USA does in the world (no offense).

What are the views of people in America on that? Is Trump fighting the neocons, bankers and their MSM?

Or do they just want to get rid of him because he's a loose cannon?