Author Topic: Michael Flynn Sentencing Delayed  (Read 204 times)

Michael Flynn Sentencing Delayed
« on: December 18, 2018, 03:18:07 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2450
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
NEWS: Michael Flynn just deflated Trump’s contention that he was duped into lying to FBI. "I was aware" that lying to FBI investigators was a crime when he did so over interactions with Russians, Flynn tells judge "I do not" seek to withdraw the plea, Flynn tells the judge.

Judge Sullivan asks Flynn's attorney Stephen Anthony if Flynn was "entrapped by the FBI." Anthony says, "No, your honor." Per @kpolantz

SULLIVAN WARNS FLYNN OF A PRISON SENTENCE: "You were an unregistered agent of a foreign country while serving as the National Security Adviser to the president! "Arguably, this undermines everything this flag over here stands for! Arguably, you sold your country out!"

Quote from: WaPo
A federal judge on Tuesday postponed the sentencing for Michael Flynn after he lambasted President Trump’s former national security adviser for trying to undermine his own country and said he could not guarantee he would spare Flynn from prison.

The stunning development means that Flynn will have to be sentenced at a later date, when he can possibly convince a judge more thoroughly of how his cooperation has benefited law enforcement.

Flynn’s attorneys asked for the delay after U.S. District Judge Emmet G. Sullivan accused Flynn of acting as “an unregistered agent of a foreign country, while serving as the national security adviser to the president of the United States” — an allegation he later walked back. Sullivan granted the request and asked for a status report in 90 days, though he said he was “not making any promises” that he would view the matter differently in three months.

White House still also touting a bunch of bull about how Flynn was 'ambushed' by FBI in an effort that "broke every standard protocol that they have".

Which was of course bullcrap.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Re: Michael Flynn Sentencing Delayed
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 04:06:21 PM »

Online blink

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 520
NEWS: Michael Flynn just deflated Trump’s contention that he was duped into lying to FBI. "I was aware" that lying to FBI investigators was a crime when he did so over interactions with Russians, Flynn tells judge "I do not" seek to withdraw the plea, Flynn tells the judge.

Judge Sullivan asks Flynn's attorney Stephen Anthony if Flynn was "entrapped by the FBI." Anthony says, "No, your honor." Per @kpolantz

SULLIVAN WARNS FLYNN OF A PRISON SENTENCE: "You were an unregistered agent of a foreign country while serving as the National Security Adviser to the president! "Arguably, this undermines everything this flag over here stands for! Arguably, you sold your country out!"

Quote from: WaPo
A federal judge on Tuesday postponed the sentencing for Michael Flynn after he lambasted President Trump’s former national security adviser for trying to undermine his own country and said he could not guarantee he would spare Flynn from prison.

The stunning development means that Flynn will have to be sentenced at a later date, when he can possibly convince a judge more thoroughly of how his cooperation has benefited law enforcement.

Flynn’s attorneys asked for the delay after U.S. District Judge Emmet G. Sullivan accused Flynn of acting as “an unregistered agent of a foreign country, while serving as the national security adviser to the president of the United States” — an allegation he later walked back. Sullivan granted the request and asked for a status report in 90 days, though he said he was “not making any promises” that he would view the matter differently in three months.

White House still also touting a bunch of bull about how Flynn was 'ambushed' by FBI in an effort that "broke every standard protocol that they have".

Which was of course bullcrap.

Yeah the judge really seemed like he was ready to sentence Flynn to prison today.  What happened this morning just made everything Sarah Sanders said nothing but a bunch of lies.  It isn't surprising.

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 05:26:11 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 357
I admit that I don't understand any of this.  What is going to happen in 90 days that would impact Flynn's sentencing?  Hasn't he already cooperated fully per filings by Mueller?  Mueller is already recommending no jail time per the filings that I have seen.

I also don't understand the White House on this.  Why not say that we had no idea that Flynn was acting as an unregistered agent of a foreign government.  If he was doing this, it is wrong and we do not condone it.  They could also say that they were not aware that Flynn was in discussions with Russians and if he lied to the FBI about those discussion then we do not condone lying to the FBI. 

Then you could go on with the "this has nothing to do with the President or Russia" and of course "and Hillary is the one that should be investigated".  How can you not condemn the specific acts that Flynn is pleading guilty to?  Short of a pardon, nothing Trump says in a tweet is going to make any difference.  I don't get it.  I am sure there is much more there than I know or understand.  Whatever that is, must be some really good there there.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 05:42:38 PM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 01:53:52 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 615
I admit that I don't understand any of this.  What is going to happen in 90 days that would impact Flynn's sentencing?  Hasn't he already cooperated fully per filings by Mueller?  Mueller is already recommending no jail time per the filings that I have seen.

I also don't understand the White House on this.  Why not say that we had no idea that Flynn was acting as an unregistered agent of a foreign government.  If he was doing this, it is wrong and we do not condone it.  They could also say that they were not aware that Flynn was in discussions with Russians and if he lied to the FBI about those discussion then we do not condone lying to the FBI. 

Then you could go on with the "this has nothing to do with the President or Russia" and of course "and Hillary is the one that should be investigated".  How can you not condemn the specific acts that Flynn is pleading guilty to?  Short of a pardon, nothing Trump says in a tweet is going to make any difference.  I don't get it.  I am sure there is much more there than I know or understand.  Whatever that is, must be some really good there there.

During that 90 days, he has opportunity to continue to work with Federal authorities (Mueller's team) and if he's able to make enough of a positive impression on them (i.e., give them something really good in terms of evidence) then they may be able to cite that as additional reasons for a soft sentence.

The net impression I get is that to this point, the Judge is not sufficiently impressed that the level of Flynn's contribution towards helping investigators yet balances the level of the crime.   It's a message not just to Flynn and his attorneys, but also to Mueller's team.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 01:58:15 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 2143
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

During that 90 days, he has opportunity to continue to work with Federal authorities (Mueller's team) and if he's able to make enough of a positive impression on them (i.e., give them something really good in terms of evidence) then they may be able to cite that as additional reasons for a soft sentence.

The net impression I get is that to this point, the Judge is not sufficiently impressed that the level of Flynn's contribution towards helping investigators yet balances the level of the crime.   It's a message not just to Flynn and his attorneys, but also to Mueller's team.

I think this is a really strong assessment, but also the judge was clearly displeased with Flynn trying to have his cake and eat it too by suggesting malfeasance by the FBI while still pleading guilty. I think it's a not-so-subtle warning to provide more basis for leniency and either stop undermining a crime he is pleading guilty or toss the plea and fight the charge directly.  100% agree he was either ready to imprison Flynn or produce the very strong impression that he was about to. Which is why they jumped at the opportunity to wait a while longer.

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 02:34:21 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 357
I think this is a really strong assessment, but also the judge was clearly displeased with Flynn trying to have his cake and eat it too by suggesting malfeasance by the FBI while still pleading guilty. I think it's a not-so-subtle warning to provide more basis for leniency and either stop undermining a crime he is pleading guilty or toss the plea and fight the charge directly.  100% agree he was either ready to imprison Flynn or produce the very strong impression that he was about to. Which is why they jumped at the opportunity to wait a while longer.

I like this insight.  The judge apparently asked questions along this line.  It seems to have shut up Trump on this line too.  It does still seem strange to me that Mueller is already recommending a very light sentence so why wait.  So maybe it is stop with the FBI bashing or you will go to jail.