Author Topic: Texas woman fired because she doesn't support Israel  (Read 831 times)

Texas woman fired because she doesn't support Israel
« on: December 18, 2018, 12:44:40 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 656
Well, this law is pretty Orwellian. I guess you can't work for the state of Texas anymore unless you support Israel. Yay freedom?

Seems like a pretty clear violation of First Amendment rights. I wonder what mental gymnastics they performed to justify this legally.

According to the Washington Post:

Bahia Amawi, a speech pathologist who has worked as a contractor in a Texas school district for nine years, received a new contract agreement to sign in September for the upcoming school year.

The agreement asked her to affirm that she did not boycott Israel and assert that she would not while working for the school.

She declined to sign it. Amawi, an American citizen of Palestinian descent who was born in Austria, said the statements infringed on her principles: her stance on Israel’s treatment of Palestinians and her belief in the First Amendment. So she was forced to stop working with the district.

The contract, which stems from a 2017 law passed by the state’s Republican-held legislature and governor that prohibited state agencies from contracting with companies boycotting Israel, is the subject of a lawsuit filed this week by Amawi in federal district court in Austin.

Amawi says the state’s enforcement of the law violates her right to free speech.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2018/12/18/she-lost-her-school-job-after-refusing-sign-pro-israel-pledge-now-shes-filing-lawsuit/?utm_term=.ea41f55b3116

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/texas-speech-pathologist-fired-sign-israel-palestine-pledge-anti-bds-intercept-a8688031.html

Re: Texas woman fired because she doesn't support Israel
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 12:47:52 PM »

Offline apc

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 347
Support is not the same as not boycott.   

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 12:58:38 PM »

Offline gift

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 175
Is there a practical reason they require employees of local Texas school districts to agree not to boycott Israel?

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 01:15:10 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Jim Loscutoff

The pledge is clearly meant to show support. There is no credible reason otherwise why it would exist.

BTW do you think there are any pledges involving Peru, or Denmark, or Malaysia? No.

This pledge is political and religious in nature, and is a clear violation of the Constitution.

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 01:16:45 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Jim Loscutoff
Is there a practical reason they require employees of local Texas school districts to agree not to boycott Israel?

Is bigotry practical? And have you signed any such documents at your job?

There's a reason this isn't normal. It is unconstitutional and antithetical to American ideals.

Though I do fear this type of thinking is becoming more normalized.

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 01:43:49 PM »

Offline apc

• Ray Allen
First of all let me put it out there, I am from Israel.

I admit that this woman losing her job does not seem right to me. if she personally want to boycott Israel, that's her choice.

I also have no problem with the law passed by Texas which is: a law that prohibited state agencies from contracting with companies that boycott Israel.

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 01:45:29 PM »

Offline Moranis

• Global Moderator
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 1027
She is not an employee. 

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 01:54:35 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Jim Loscutoff
First of all let me put it out there, I am from Israel.

I admit that this woman losing her job does not seem right to me. if she personally want to boycott Israel, that's her choice.

I also have no problem with the law passed by Texas which is: a law that prohibited state agencies from contracting with companies that boycott Israel.

And that's all this should really be about. She, like all of us, has every right to her beliefs and her speech. Those are protected in the Bill of Rights and are fundamental to this country's laws  and ideals.

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2018, 01:55:36 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1067
  • Sometimes there's no sane reason for optimism.

The pledge is clearly meant to show support. There is no credible reason otherwise why it would exist.

BTW do you think there are any pledges involving Peru, or Denmark, or Malaysia? No.

This pledge is political and religious in nature, and is a clear violation of the Constitution.

This was my first thought and pretty much says it all. Boycott seems to be a strong word, but I think it was one of those things that if you aren't with them, you are considered against them. Religious beliefs have no place in law.

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2018, 02:00:40 PM »

Offline apc

• Ray Allen

This was my first thought and pretty much says it all. Boycott seems to be a strong word, but I think it was one of those things that if you aren't with them, you are considered against them. Religious beliefs have no place in law.
Are there any groups like BDS boycotting Peru, or Denmark, or Malaysia?

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2018, 02:20:25 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Jim Loscutoff

I have no clue. But those nations aren't at the center of a dispute among three of the world's major religions.

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2018, 02:28:09 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 217
Obviously I haven’t read up on the law itself, but if the article’s summary of the law is accurate in that it prevents the state from working with companies that boycott Israel, that feels like a stretch to apply it to individuals.

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2018, 02:28:30 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1067
  • Sometimes there's no sane reason for optimism.

I absolutely understand your concern for this issue - if I were from Israel, I would probably feel the same way. But, this whole thing pretty much goes against the US Constitution and there is only one reason people in the states would have such overarching support for one country (other than ours) and that is religion. It's yet another sneaky thing that christians are trying to force down everybody else's throat.

I certainly don't wish ill on the people of Israel - seriously, I wish you and them all the best; I just don't feel there is a reason to give them preferential treatment over the people of Peru, Denmark, or Malaysia.

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2018, 02:29:13 PM »

Offline apc

• Ray Allen

I have no clue. But those nations aren't at the center of a dispute among three of the world's major religions.
Different topic, but BDS is about antisemitism not religion. 

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2018, 02:32:13 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Jim Loscutoff
Anyone remember "Freedom Fries?"

Bill O'Reilly and many conservatives were calling for boycotts of French products because France strongly opposed the Iraq war.

As ridiculous as that episode was, it was a fair exercise in free speech.

https://news.virginia.edu/content/study-tracks-us-boycott-french-sounding-products-during-2003-iraq-war

Hello! Guest

Welcome to the CelticsStrong Forums.

Community

Signup to win FREE tickets

* indicates required