Author Topic: Company Christmas "bonus"  (Read 815 times)

Company Christmas "bonus"
« on: November 14, 2018, 12:40:11 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 9116
Instead of a cash bonus, this company gave out a gift cert for a gun.  didn't give the gun itself so that the required background check could be done and required a handgun training class for its employees.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2018/11/14/wisconsin-company-gives-employees-handguns-for-christmas-the-perfect-gift/23589371/

Personally, I'd be p---ed.  No issue with someone owning a gun if they choose to but I could do a lot more useful things with $500 cash than buy a gun. 

not that the article says the owner is pushing a pro-gun/NRA agenda but is it?  I get the company makes things containing bullets so there's a connection but would you be fine with this or prefer the cash (like me)?

thoughts?

Re: Company Christmas "bonus"
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 12:45:11 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2484
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Instead of a cash bonus, this company gave out a gift cert for a gun.  didn't give the gun itself so that the required background check could be done and required a handgun training class for its employees.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2018/11/14/wisconsin-company-gives-employees-handguns-for-christmas-the-perfect-gift/23589371/

Personally, I'd be p---ed.  No issue with someone owning a gun if they choose to but I could do a lot more useful things with $500 cash than buy a gun. 

not that the article says the owner is pushing a pro-gun/NRA agenda but is it?  I get the company makes things containing bullets so there's a connection but would you be fine with this or prefer the cash (like me)?

thoughts?

I'd be mad. This is about buying your (dang) kids christmas presents.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 12:45:49 PM »

Offline cons

• Kyrie Irving
  • Tommy Points: 72
generally i think employees prefer cash.

thats what we work for - money

plus u can never go wrong / offend someone etc  like this example by just giving cash

but i guess a gun is sort of like the jelly of the month club - a gift that can just keep givin the whole year round! :)

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 12:51:34 PM »

Online Moranis

• Global Moderator
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 1023
It is called a bonus for a reason.  You aren't entitled to anything so whatever you get is in fact a bonus.  And maybe the vast majority of the employees actually wanted a handgun and perhaps the owner instead of giving 100 in cash was able to work something out where he could give 500 in the gun certificate.  That was maybe more valuable to the employees. 

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 01:05:14 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 2189
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Um the gun can be used to acquire many more valuable "bonuses", possibly even from the boss. Work smarter, not harder.

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 01:15:28 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 5989
I think it is definitely trying to push the owner's agenda onto the employees. Only 42% of American households have guns. So there was a good chance that 6 out of every 10 employees of the company wouldn't want the guns. Turns out it was just 2 of 16. But the owner saying that now he has a staff that is fully armed pretty much proves that that was his motive in giving these certificates, not to reward them for good work.

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 01:21:13 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1814
  • bammokja
I think it is definitely trying to push the owner's agenda onto the employees. Only 42% of American households have guns. So there was a good chance that 6 out of every 10 employees of the company wouldn't want the guns. Turns out it was just 2 of 16. But the owner saying that now he has a staff that is fully armed pretty much proves that that was his motive in giving these certificates, not to reward them for good work.
well, i guess it will make inter-office squabbles a bit more exciting.  :P
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy ó not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 01:25:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 5989
Now the owner can put up a sign outside his door that says:

NO MASS SHOOTINGS HERE
WE'RE ALL PACKING.

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 01:39:43 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Kyrie Irving
  • Tommy Points: 76
I would much rather have the cash, even if was only $50. If the option was getting the gun or no bonus at all, then I'd rather have no bonus. I don't want a gun anywhere near my family, especially in my own home. The company clearly seems to be pushing an agenda.

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 01:41:01 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• Johnny Most
Um the gun can be used to acquire many more valuable "bonuses", possibly even from the boss. Work smarter, not harder.
ha, that's where my mind went after posting the thread --> hit up the local liquor/convenience stores to 'add to your bonus'  ;)

TP

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2018, 01:43:18 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• Johnny Most
I would much rather have the cash, even if was only $50. If the option was getting the gun or no bonus at all, then I'd rather have no bonus. I don't want a gun anywhere near my family, especially in my own home. The company clearly seems to be pushing an agenda.
well, I suppose you could make lemonade out of that lemon by reselling the gun for cash before they institute background checks on private sales of guns    ;D

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2018, 02:13:55 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 362
This troubles me.  People are allowed to own handguns.  Fine.  But is handgun ownership something that should be promoted or encouraged?  I guess it is the ageless debate about where having more people own guns will result in less gun violence.  This argument makes no sense to me.  So hand out guns to reduce gun violence.  Yeah.

So what is the over-under for how many of these bonus guns will end up being used in some kind of violent act, either a robbery, a drunk domestic abuser, a child accident vs. the over-under for how many incidents of gun violence will be avoided by these guns (home invasions or whatever).

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2018, 02:33:31 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27419
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
Itís a bonus, not an entitlement. If you donít want the gun, youíre no worse off.

It wouldnít be my preference, but itís essentially a gift.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2018, 02:42:27 PM »

Online jpotter33

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 291
It is called a bonus for a reason.  You aren't entitled to anything so whatever you get is in fact a bonus.  And maybe the vast majority of the employees actually wanted a handgun and perhaps the owner instead of giving 100 in cash was able to work something out where he could give 500 in the gun certificate.  That was maybe more valuable to the employees.

Holy hell - mark this date down. I completely agree with a Moranis post!  ;D

TP. I think youíre probably right about the amount, too, as many times you can get much more value in a certificate than in cash. Give me a $500 gun certificate all day long; I could finally get that Desert Eagle Iíve always wanted!
Whatever crushes individuality is despotism, by whatever name it may be called and whether it professes to be enforcing the will of God or the injunctions of men.

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2018, 03:07:45 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27419
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/company-gives-guns-employees-unique-memorable-christmas-gift-190418122.html

Apparently all but two of the employees were thrilled. The other two got Visa gift cards.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

Hello! Guest

Welcome to the CelticsStrong Forums.

Community

Signup to win FREE tickets

* indicates required