Author Topic: Georgia militia group threatens Abrams  (Read 1848 times)

Re: Georgia militia group threatens Abrams
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2018, 06:45:48 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
There is no "Violence is bad" thread.

This thread was meant to discuss a Georgia Militia threatening someone's life.  I recommend sticking to the topic.  In the Antifa thread, talk about Antifa.  In this one, let's figure out who this militia is and what to do about it...

Prosecute them for the laws they’re breaking. Have the FBI watch them diligently. Give mentioned targets extra police protection.

But, the overall context of our political environment isn’t off-topic; it’s implicit within it.  The “fabric of our nation” is explicitly mentioned in the OP.  Discussing that “fabric” seems appropriate.

The fabric of our nation, to me, means talking about Trump more than anyone else.  His mouth is much more of a problem than some yahoo who ranted about Susan Collins after her Kavanaugh vote.

Trump had the charisma to get elected by exciting enormous numbers of people.  Crimes against Muslims (other minorities?) went up even during the primaries and race with Hillary.  No one on today's Left has 1/4 of the ability to incite people in one direction or another that Trump has.

Right. “My side’s violence is better than your side’s violence”

It really is possible to call out Trump AND violent leftists. It’s possible to condemn the Georgia “militia” (I.e., racist crazies with guns) while also criticizing the Black Panthers (racist crazies with guns) for posing with guns or patrolling voting centers.  It’s possible to condemn the Proud Boys while
criticizing antifa violence.

Ignoring leftist violence while blaming everything on Trump just shreds the fabric of America more. When we legitimize or condone one side’s violence, it not only embodies them (because there are few consequences), but also their opponents (because what’s good for the leftist goose is good for the right wing gander).

I wasn't blaming everything on Trump and I wasn't trying to do any qualitative comparisons of
violence.  Trump is now a Republican but he supported the Clintons in the past.  He may have been Democrat at one point.  That's not really important to me.

I was trying to say that, numbers wise, he has the biggest megaphone of the moment.  And he uses it to prop up his poll numbers, with seeming disregard for the effects his words may have.  Of course the Left has hateful people who say hateful things and do evil deeds. Is that a surprise?  But who on the Left has the rhetorical power, or rhetorical reach, that Trump has at this moment in time? 

That's why his words get the focus they get. 
Not because Trump inspired violence is more evil than Clinton/Holder/Antifa-inspired violence is.  Of course it's not worse.  Evil is evil and violence is violence.
Correct.  So sick of the what-about-isms used by people trying to either minimize the impact of his words or outright defend him.  Words Matter.

« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2018, 08:11:36 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27453
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .

This thread was meant to discuss a Georgia Militia threatening someone's life.  I recommend sticking to the topic.  In the Antifa thread, talk about Antifa.  In this one, let's figure out who this militia is and what to do about it...

Prosecute them for the laws they’re breaking. Have the FBI watch them diligently. Give mentioned targets extra police protection.

But, the overall context of our political environment isn’t off-topic; it’s implicit within it.  The “fabric of our nation” is explicitly mentioned in the OP.  Discussing that “fabric” seems appropriate.

The fabric of our nation, to me, means talking about Trump more than anyone else.  His mouth is much more of a problem than some yahoo who ranted about Susan Collins after her Kavanaugh vote.

Trump had the charisma to get elected by exciting enormous numbers of people.  Crimes against Muslims (other minorities?) went up even during the primaries and race with Hillary.  No one on today's Left has 1/4 of the ability to incite people in one direction or another that Trump has.

It really is possible to call out Trump AND violent leftists. It’s possible to condemn the Georgia “militia” (I.e., racist crazies with guns) while also criticizing the Black Panthers (racist crazies with guns) for posing with guns or patrolling voting centers.  It’s possible to condemn the Proud Boys while
criticizing antifa violence.

Ignoring leftist violence while blaming everything on Trump just shreds the fabric of America more. When we legitimize or condone one side’s violence, it not only embodies them (because there are few consequences), but also their opponents (because what’s good for the leftist goose is good for the right wing gander).

I wasn't blaming everything on Trump and I wasn't trying to do any qualitative comparisons of
violence.  Trump is now a Republican but he supported the Clintons in the past.  He may have been Democrat at one point.  That's not really important to me.

I was trying to say that, numbers wise, he has the biggest megaphone of the moment.  And he uses it to prop up his poll numbers, with seeming disregard for the effects his words may have.  Of course the Left has hateful people who say hateful things and do evil deeds. Is that a surprise?  But who on the Left has the rhetorical power, or rhetorical reach, that Trump has at this moment in time? 

That's why his words get the focus they get. 
Not because Trump inspired violence is more evil than Clinton/Holder/Antifa-inspired violence is.  Of course it's not worse.  Evil is evil and violence is violence.
Correct.  So sick of the what-about-isms used by people trying to either minimize the impact of his words or outright defend him.  Words Matter.

“Whataboutism” is just another name for pointing out hypocrisy.

Call out Trump, absolutely. But call out leftist rhetoric and violence, too.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2018, 02:57:44 PM »

Online mmmmm

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 627

Is literally NOT what anyone on this thread has said.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2018, 03:34:59 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Nonsense.

« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2018, 04:24:51 PM »

Online mmmmm

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 627

Nonsense.

Yes, what you've been posting could be characterized as such.  No argument there.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2018, 04:53:08 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 373

Nonsense.

Yes, what you've been posting could be characterized as such.  No argument there.

Fearmongoring, spreading salacious rumors, targeting ethnic and religious groups, and encouraging hate toward your political opponents, is not the American way.
It is the path to authoritarianism, and will lead, as always, to violence and shame.
No one should tolerate, make excuses for, or vote for this kind of behavior.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 06:43:01 PM by arctic 3.0 »

« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2018, 06:54:08 PM »

Offline Erik

• Kyrie Irving
  • Tommy Points: 159
  • The voice of reason

Nonsense.

Fearmongoring, spreading salacious rumors, targeting ethnic and religious groups, and encouraging hate toward your political opponents, is not the American way.
It is the path to authoritarianism, and will lead, as always, to violence and shame.

Fearmongering: republicans want to take away your healthcare
Spreading salacious rumors: Trump was uriniated on by a Russian hooker.
Targeting ethnic and religious groups: White European Christians
Encouraging hate towards your political opponents: “And if you see anybody from that Cabinet in a restaurant, in a department store, at a gasoline station, you get out and you create a crowd. And you push back on them. And you tell them they're not welcome anymore, anywhere.“

Get off your high horse. Both sides do it. It’s called politics. The difference is your side has the media on their side that demonizes Republicans and praises Democrats. Fake news at its finest. All for profit and ratings.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 07:00:35 PM by Erik »

« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2018, 07:20:15 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 454

Nonsense.

Encouraging hate towards your political opponents: “And if you see anybody from that Cabinet in a restaurant, in a department store, at a gasoline station, you get out and you create a crowd. And you push back on them. And you tell them they're not welcome anymore, anywhere.“

Get off your high horse. Both sides do it. It’s called politics. The difference is your side has the media on their side that demonizes Republicans and praises Democrats. Fake news at its finest. All for profit and ratings.

I agree...both sides do it and they do it well.....almost impossible to find a news article in US media related to politics that is one hundred percent unbiased. Power controls the media and leads the masses.

« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2018, 08:23:35 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 373

Nonsense.

Telling the truth isn’t fearmongering
1: Trump ran on repealing the ACA https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2016/11/01/politics/donald-trump-mike-pence-obamacare-health-care/index.html
2: Trump has extensive shadowy connections with the Russian oligarchy. Connections that are ripe for exploitation.  https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/03/connections-trump-putin-russia-ties-chart-flynn-page-manafort-sessions-214868
3: really? Last time I looked White European Christians had a pretty solid lock on the mechanisms of power.
4: that’s how resistance works. If you spread the hate, expect to have it reflected back at you.
5: if getting off my high horse means climbing down into the muck this pig stirred up, I think i’ll Stay up here.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 08:29:27 PM by arctic 3.0 »

« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2018, 08:54:39 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
4: that’s how resistance works. If you spread the hate, expect to have it reflected back at you.

So, “he started it”?

This is exactly what I’ve been mentioning. Rather than condemning violence, partisans justify it so long as it’s coming from their side of the aisle.

« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2018, 05:27:11 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1120
2: Trump has extensive shadowy connections with the Russian oligarchy. Connections that are ripe for exploitation.  https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/03/connections-trump-putin-russia-ties-chart-flynn-page-manafort-sessions-214868

It's true but one thing I do not understand is why the media and many of the left hate Pres. Trumps involvement but ignore Hillary's.

There is no better illustration of this than what we now know went on between Clinton allies Sidney Blumenthal and Jonathan Winer and the author of the infamous dossier, Christopher Steele. We know that Steele was paid with Clinton campaign money and that he was “passionate about [Trump] not being president.” We know that Winer, an old Washington hand and former John Kerry staffer was Steele’s man at the State Department and, incredibly, admitted to distributing more than 100 of Steele’s commercial business documents within senior offices at the State Department. Soon enough, we will know who Steele’s clients were that paid for their views to be disseminated within the Obama administration and what Russian interests were involved. And by the way, it turns out Blumenthal, a long-time specialist in the political dark arts, had his own anti-Trump dossier, authored by political activist Cody Shearer, which he gave to Winer; Winer passed it to Steele, and Steele passed it to the FBI. Presto.

Compare the coverage of the Blumenthal-Steele-Winer troika and their work to influence the FBI and supply anti-Trump campaign dirt to the media with the coverage of a single meeting that took place with a Russian lawyer and Trump campaign personnel. Ask yourself which is most significant: Donald Trump Jr. — the hapless, amateur son of then-candidate Trump — having a one-off, stray meeting in June 2016 with a Russian lawyer who perhaps promised, but did not deliver, compromising information on Clinton, or Winer, Blumenthal and foreign national Steele all playing a role in getting campaign dirt through Steele’s and State Department channels into the hands of the FBI?

The idea that the Democrats were the ones who solicited and utilized Russian-supplied, [dang]ing information about Trump instead of Trump using Russian-supplied, [dang]ing information about Clinton is something that Trump’s opponents cannot process. So, today, when the Democrats and their allies in the media insist that we need to know what the Russians did to influence the election and interfere in the democratic process, it is fair to ask which Russians are they talking about? Are they talking about the Russians who were solicited by Steele and his Democrat paymasters? What were the Russians’ interests and were any of them paying Steele? (A new story links Steele to Putin ally Oleg Deripaska.) And what about the sources that Shearer solicited for the anti-Trump dossier he gave to Blumenthal? It seems that there were a lot more meetings with Russians and information collected from Russians on behalf of the Clinton campaign than there ever was on behalf of the Trump campaign.

It may be difficult for Democrats to accept this, but their outrage towards the president doesn’t change the fact that neither he nor his campaign colluded with the Russians. And it must be difficult knowing that more evidence or downright admissions keep surfacing pointing to Democrats facilitating Russian influence in the 2016 campaign. Russian fingerprints are all over the work of Blumenthal, Winer and Steele.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/wp/2018/02/13/the-media-is-ignoring-ties-between-the-clinton-campaign-and-russians/?noredirect=on

Want more

One such article in Time is entitled, “Donald Trump’s Many, Many, Many, Many Ties to Russia.” Three “many’s” obviously weren’t enough to convey the true depth of the “ties.” It took four.

It’s less easy to find comprehensive accounts denoting the Russian ties that some of Trump’s detractors have.

Here are just a few examples:

The top Democrat on the Senate Intelligence Committee, Mark Warner (D-Va.), had extensive contact with a lobbyist for a Russian oligarch to help connect with the author of the anti-Trump “dossier.” Warner reportedly texted at the time that he didn’t wish to “leave a paper trail.” Warner allegedly waited six months before disclosing the contacts to the committee, which is investigating Russia matters.

The anti-Trump “dossier” that the FBI secretly used to justify wiretaps on a Trump adviser was compiled by a man at a political opposition research firm, Fusion GPS, who relied on and quoted Russian sources who are close to President Putin.

A Washington lobbying/consulting firm, the Podesta Group, founded by Obama adviser and Hillary Clinton campaign chairman John Podesta and his brother, lobbied for Russia’s largest bank, owned by the government (or, as you like, President Putin). John’s brother, Tony, also lobbied for Ukrainian interests (reportedly in partnership with Trump associates Manafort and Gates). John Podesta left the firm years ago; Tony stepped down last November amid controversy over the lobbying. He has not been charged with any crimes.

The Podesta Group also represented Russia-owned Uranium One, which received approval from a federal oversight board that included the State Department under Hillary Clinton to buy about one-fifth of the U.S. production capacity of uranium, a key material for making nuclear weapons.

Uranium One interests reportedly contributed $145 million to Bill and Hillary Clinton’s charitable foundation.

The Democratic National Committee (DNC) and the Hillary Clinton campaign funded the anti-Trump “dossier” that relied on Russian sources, who were close to Kremlin officials.

None of the above-mentioned “Russian ties” are illegal on their face, although, in some instances, there could be conditions that make them illegal

https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/373363-democratic-ties-to-russia-are-ample-and-often-ethically-dubious

So are you mad at these people, we have proof on this and not just allegations.   Of course, if Mueller finds truth in the allegations against Pres. Trump I think it should be carried out to it's completion.

: that’s how resistance works. If you spread the hate, expect to have it reflected back at you

The resistance is a term usually relegated to people who oppose occupying countries.   They did so at great personal risk.   They are heroes in many cases.   That is not the case here. 

The resistance of people you are referring too, are a bunch of people who did not like an election result and are throwing a collective fit.   I think we should not insult real resistance fighers which you are not.  You have every right to complain, protest and the like but please do not compare yourself to the brave people who resisted against Hitler it is historically tonedeaf.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 06:21:21 AM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2018, 06:26:50 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1555

It's true but one thing I do not understand is why the media and many of the left hate Pres. Trumps involvement but ignore Hillary's.

I have a hard time believing that you don’t understand this.  Let’s pretend for a second that Trump and Hillary are on equal footing with regard to power and political relevance. Under those conditions, the reason that left-biased media sources focus more on Trump wrong-doing than Hillary’s would be that Trump is an R and Hillary is a D.  It’s the same reason that the converse would be true for right-biased media who were (when she was relevant) 24 hour s day anti-Hillary.  It was hatred of Hillary (despite Trump also being a liar and scoundrel) that lost her the election. No hypocrisy there?

You don’t really need it to be said that the real (present day) reason Trump’s involvement matters and Hillary’s doesn’t is that she is 2-years removed from political relevance and he is the president of the United States.   Why pretend you don’t understand something that you fully understand?

« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2018, 06:38:46 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• Kevin Garnett
You don’t really need it to be said that the real (present day) reason Trump’s involvement matters and Hillary’s doesn’t is that she is 2-years removed from political relevance and he is the president of the United States.   Why pretend you don’t understand something that you fully understand?

She is talking about running again, it is very relevant. If she runs again.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/30/politics/hillary-clinton-2020-run/index.html

Don't you agree

I have a hard time believing that you don’t understand this.  Let’s pretend for a second that Trump and Hillary are on equal footing with regard to power and political relevance. Under those conditions, the reason that left-biased media sources focus more on Trump wrong-doing than Hillary’s would be that Trump is an R and Hillary is a D.  It’s the same reason that the converse would be true for right-biased media who were (when she was relevant) 24 hour s day anti-Hillary.  It was hatred of Hillary (despite Trump also being a liar and scoundrel) that lost her the election. No hypocrisy there?

And I have a hard time understanding why seeming rational people think it is ok for their side to do something and not the other.    I think both of them should be thoroughly investigated and if guilty prosecuted.   I don't have to rationalize one side over the other because what I want is justice and a thorough investigation ( that did not happen with Hillary thanks to Stzrok and her obstruction by deleting and wiping hard drives.)

I get your point about Pres. Trump being more politically relevant.  Fair point, but I think justice should be done and we need to send a clear message that this will not be tolerated by either party.

You don't see the irony of one side, accusing the other of what they actually have done?   I think both Pres. Trump and Hillary campaigns were played by the Russian and this is a plot to destabilize and divide us and it is working.

« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2018, 07:44:13 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1555

She is talking about running again, it is very relevant. If she runs again.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/30/politics/hillary-clinton-2020-run/index.html

Don't you agree

And I have a hard time understanding why seeming rational people think it is ok for their side to do something and not the other.    I think both of them should be thoroughly investigated and if guilty prosecuted.   I don't have to rationalize one side over the other because what I want is justice and a thorough investigation ( that did not happen with Hillary thanks to Stzrok and her obstruction by deleting and wiping hard drives.)

I get your point about Pres. Trump being more politically relevant.  Fair point, but I think justice should be done and we need to send a clear message that this will not be tolerated by either party.

You don't see the irony of one side, accusing the other of what they actually have done?   I think both Pres. Trump and Hillary campaigns were played by the Russian and this is a plot to destabilize and divide us and it is working.

Of course there is hypocrisy if malfeasance is on both sides and only one side is adjudicated. The law shouldn’t favor a political side.  But political sides do favor political sides.  That’s why they are political sides.   My point is less complex than yours.  I think we have a POTUS who poses a direct, daily threat to our country. I think Hillary Clinton is a woman in New York.  If she runs again and somehow manages to threaten for the nomination, she’ll be relevant again. But till then, she isn’t. 

Yes, the law matters. hypocrisy matters.  Russian influence matters. But everything is relative. Right or wrong, it is Trump that keeps me up at night...   And heartburn. 

« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2018, 07:48:12 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• Kevin Garnett
The law shouldn’t favor a political side.

TP to you, sir.

Hello! Guest

Welcome to the CelticsStrong Forums.

Community

Signup to win FREE tickets

* indicates required