Author Topic: Georgia militia group threatens Abrams  (Read 2027 times)

Georgia militia group threatens Abrams
« on: November 07, 2018, 12:40:49 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 640
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

Re: Georgia militia group threatens Abrams
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 02:46:26 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 1139
  • What a Pub Should Be
There's some scary people out there.

Some of these fringe groups from both sides are just completely bat sh*t bonkers.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 05:06:26 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• Ray Allen

Some of these fringe groups from both sides are just completely bat sh*t bonkers.

That there are fringe groups ("from both sides") that are bonkers doesn't bother me.   That there are groups like this that are armed to the teeth with guns, guns and more guns (because, man, ya just can't have enough guns) does bother me.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 05:09:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 5990

That there are fringe groups ("from both sides") that are bonkers doesn't bother me.   That there are groups like this that are armed to the teeth with guns, guns and more guns (because, man, ya just can't have enough guns) does bother me.
It also scares me that they feel empowered by Trump and are saying they will kill in Trump's name. Trump should come out and condemn such groups but doesn't

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 06:02:18 PM »

Online gouki88

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 372

That first bit really should bother you

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 06:43:49 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1130
I hope they are arrested and prosecuted under the law.

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 06:44:14 PM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Kyrie Irving
  • Tommy Points: 106
  • #StayWoke

I understand you're trying to be fair and impartial by saying "both sides," but in this situation there are no democratic militias threatening government officials with gun violence. In this situation you gotta call a spade a spade, these are domestic terrorists acting in Trump's name due to Trump's rhetoric.
"I don't really have an ego. I have a presence and aura about me that's very reality-based."

-Zen Master Kyrie

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 07:53:37 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27418
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .

I’m bothered by both. These “militias” are armed to the teeth, but it doesn’t take a giant cache of weapons to terrorize.  The attempted murders of Gabriel Gifford’s / Steve Scalise show us that.  And even without guns, we’ve seen crazies with cars, bombs, and pretty much anything that can be used to kill or injure.

Violence, threats of violence and condoning of violence all need to end.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 07:57:45 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I understand you're trying to be fair and impartial by saying "both sides," but in this situation there are no democratic militias threatening government officials with gun violence. In this situation you gotta call a spade a spade, these are domestic terrorists acting in Trump's name due to Trump's rhetoric.

Except when an armed leftist guns down Steve Scalise and a number of Congressional staff?

One side’s violence is no better than the other’s.

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 09:01:27 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1572
The "both sides" thing is (should be) unnecessary.  None of these mentally ill shooters are representing a political party or a mainstream ideology.  Just because one shooter votes for Bernie Sanders and the other votes for Donald Trump doesn't mean this is Democrats v. Republicans or Liberals v. Conservatives.   It is actually the 99% of us v. the relative handful of people who have the right combination of irrational, anti-social and dangerous thoughts, access to weapons, the capacity to plan, and the will to carry the plan to fruition.   Their political views provide them only the requisite thread of distorted rationale to justify their anger and their actions. They aren't on a "side".

That said, there is not a shred of doubt in my thinking that today's political climate has increased the heat of anger in such souls, and the selective vitriol of the rhetoric provides targets for those seeking aim for their rage.  Trump isn't an equal partner in the dance, but he is responsible for stepping up the tempo.  He is the leader of this band for at least two more years and I am worried that as the heat continues to turn up in Washington, the disturbed among us will be increasingly triggered.

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 09:08:58 PM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Kyrie Irving
  • #StayWoke

Except when an armed leftist guns down Steve Scalise and a number of Congressional staff?

Are you really going to compare one terrorist's actions to an organized militia making public threats? Because if so, you are so far down the Trump what-about-isms hole that I don't think you could be reached. You completely disregarded what I said and deflected with an uncomparable example.
"I don't really have an ego. I have a presence and aura about me that's very reality-based."

-Zen Master Kyrie

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2018, 09:08:58 PM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Kyrie Irving
  • #StayWoke

Are you really going to compare one terrorist's actions to an organized militia making public threats? Because if so, you are so far down the Trump what-about-isms hole that I don't think you could be reached. You completely disregarded what I said and deflected with an uncomparable example.

-Zen Master Kyrie

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2018, 07:38:22 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Right.  In one example, multiple people were actually shot. 

But, if it's mob violence resorting to threats that you're worried about:

A self-described left-wing Antifa group posted videos of a mob outside the Washington, D.C., home of Fox News’ Tucker Carlson Wednesday evening, chanting, “Tucker Carlson, we will fight. We know where you sleep at night.”

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2018, 08:45:53 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 362
Whether or not you can point to a crazy liberal with a gun or to a group of protesters outside Tucker Carlson's house, it should not be that hard to say that this militia is racist, dangerous, and likely illegal.  It should also not be that hard to say that Trump's rhetoric emboldens these groups (which is the main point).

Extreme partisanship is taking over.  It is not that hard to catch yourself.  Try this:

They guy who shot at the republicans baseball practice was wrong, immoral, and likely crazy.  I do not support in any way the group protesting outside Carlson's home.  The militia in Georgia is racist and dangerous.  Trump's rhetoric emboldens these types of racist groups.

See, that is really not all that hard.  But it is really dangerous to take a discussion about a dangerous racist militia group in Georgia and imply that liberals are bad sometimes too.  It provides cover to this group.  It softly normalizes the behavior.  That type of position or discussion is exactly why the country is getting so partisan.  Basically it is no matter what is done or what is said by the party you favor, it is OK so long as you can find something that the other side did that was bad too.  How bad does it need to get before it is just bad?

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2018, 10:34:21 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• Ray Allen

That first bit really should bother you

But it doesn't.

Crazies with words is the exercise of free speech.

Crazies threatening with guns (or sure: bombs, knives, cars driven through crowds, whatever other weapon) bothers me a heck of a lot more because it is assault.

Hello! Guest

Welcome to the CelticsStrong Forums.

Community

Signup to win FREE tickets

* indicates required