Author Topic: Trump says he will void birthright citizenship  (Read 7525 times)

Re: Trump says he will void birthright citizenship
« Reply #105 on: November 01, 2018, 09:20:34 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 5872
Okay maybe we bring this back on topic. If anyone wants to continue this discussion say so here and I will break off this topic into another thread.

« Reply #106 on: November 01, 2018, 09:38:43 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 228
Time to pull up the gang-plank. Has been for a long time. The US just can't let people in like we used to - times have changed. Other countries restrict immigration and are not criticized, but oh no, the evil white Western European Americans better not even think about protecting the country they built into the greatest society in history. Someone might call us racist and we would melt into a puddle.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #107 on: November 01, 2018, 09:54:41 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
Time to pull up the gang-plank. Has been for a long time. The US just can't let people in like we used to - times have changed. Other countries restrict immigration and are not criticized, but oh no, the evil white Western European Americans better not even think about protecting the country they built into the greatest society in history. Someone might call us racist and we would melt into a puddle.
I don't think most people want unlimited immigration without restrictions. I am very liberal and think that would be a disaster. But I do think there are better ways of handling things than separating children from their children, giving shoot to kill orders if they throw a rock to 15,000 troops amassed on our border of another country and setting up concentration camps for incoming immigrants requesting asylum.

I am not sure what the answer is. It's definitely somewhere between what Trump wants to do and unlimited, unvetted immigration. There has to be an answer somewhere in between. Those extremes are not viable. There has to be somewhere in between where Americans can be understanding and compassionate to what is happening to fellow human beings in Central America and still protect our borders.

« Reply #108 on: November 01, 2018, 10:10:02 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1312
I don't think most people want unlimited immigration without restrictions. I am very liberal and think that would be a disaster. But I do think there are better ways of handling things than separating children from their children, giving shoot to kill orders if they throw a rock to 15,000 troops amassed on our border of another country and setting up concentration camps for incoming immigrants requesting asylum.

I am not sure what the answer is. It's definitely somewhere between what Trump wants to do and unlimited, unvetted immigration. There has to be an answer somewhere in between. Those extremes are not viable. There has to be somewhere in between where Americans can be understanding and compassionate to what is happening to fellow human beings in Central America and still protect our borders.

Regardless of whatever else we disagree on, Nick, we agree on the part I've bolded, with the minor caveat that it's pretty much standard practice world wide to place asylum seekers in refugee camps until they can be processed.  This doesn't mean you hold them there indefinitely, nor mistreat them, but you can't just let them waltz in either, until their claim can be validated and processed.

I've said time and time again, Trump's rhetoric and actions are appalling. 

« Reply #109 on: November 01, 2018, 10:17:31 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1552
Wrong Thread
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 10:41:20 PM by Neurotic Guy »

« Reply #110 on: November 01, 2018, 10:30:14 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith

Regardless of whatever else we disagree on, Nick, we agree on the part I've bolded, with the minor caveat that it's pretty much standard practice world wide to place asylum seekers in refugee camps until they can be processed.  This doesn't mean you hold them there indefinitely, nor mistreat them, but you can't just let them waltz in either, until their claim can be validated and processed.

Small caveat...we are better than the rest of the world.

But...TP, KG. You know you'll always be the man in my mind.😀

« Reply #111 on: November 01, 2018, 10:55:05 PM »

Offline liam

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1011

Trump giving shoot to kill orders is only going to lead to more crazy violence....

« Reply #112 on: November 01, 2018, 11:04:40 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1312

Small caveat...we are better than the rest of the world.

But...TP, KG. You know you'll always be the man in my mind.😀

TP back at ya, Nick. A little vociferous disagreement isn't going to stop me from considering you a friend.

« Reply #113 on: November 02, 2018, 01:13:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
Trump calling the 14th Amendment a "crazy, lunatic" amendment.

« Reply #114 on: November 02, 2018, 01:22:29 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 2162
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Why do you consider the United States to be synonymous with white Western European identity?  Or that keeping out immigrants is "protecting" the country? Protecting it from what exactly? Are the answers related?

« Reply #115 on: November 02, 2018, 01:27:27 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 1111
  • What a Pub Should Be

Why do you consider the United States to be synonymous with white Western European identity?  Or that keeping out immigrants is "protecting" the country? Protecting it from what exactly? Are the answers related?

White Western European Americans weren't the only ones that built this great society either.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #116 on: November 02, 2018, 01:40:28 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2458
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Trump calling the 14th Amendment a "crazy, lunatic" amendment.

Wasn't it made to guarantee former slaves citizenship after the dred scott decision?

Makes sense. Donald Trump calling the 14th amendment a 'crazy, lunatic' amendment is absolutely on-brand.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #117 on: November 02, 2018, 01:43:45 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith

White Western European Americans weren't the only ones that built this great society either.
Yeah, I guess the Eastern Europeans that flooded in to the Midwest and worked so hard in slaughterhouses and farming didn't help build America. I guess the African slaves didn't help build the entire Southern economy. I guess the Asians didn't help build the intercontinental railways to connect East and West.

« Reply #118 on: November 02, 2018, 02:24:44 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 2162
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

You're [dang] right they weren't. I genuinely appreciate the poster's willingness to link them so directly though. A lot of people are still dancing around that kind of stuff.

Hello! Guest

Welcome to the CelticsStrong Forums.

Community

Signup to win FREE tickets

* indicates required