Author Topic: Caravan Of Immigrants Heading Toward the Border  (Read 4664 times)

Re: Caravan Of Immigrants Heading Toward the Border
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2018, 01:25:24 PM »

Offline blink

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Today's Whitehouse exchange with the press on this issue:

Here's a portion of their exchange:

Acosta: Do you think you demonized immigrants to try to keep...

Trump: No, I want them to come into the country. But they have to come in legally. Through a process. I want it to be a process. And I want people to come in. And we need the people. Wait, wait. You know why we need the people? Because we have hundreds of companies move in. We need to people.

Acosta: Your campaign had an ad showing migrants climbing over walls and so on...

Trump: That's true. They were not actors. It is true. Do you think that they were actors? They did not come from Hollywood. These were people, this was an actual -- it happened a few days ago and...

Acosta: They are hundreds of miles away. That is not an invasion.

Trump: Honestly I think that you should let me run the country. You run CNN. And if you did it well, your ratings will be much higher.

Acosta: If I may ask one other question.

Trump: That's enough.

Acosta: The other folks asked, pardon me, ma'am...

An unidentified woman attempted to grab the mic from Acosta.

Acosta: If I can ask on the Russian investigation. Are you concerned that you may have...

Trump: I am not concerned about anything with the Russian investigation because it is a hoax. That is enough, put down the mic mic.

Acosta: Mr. President.

Trump: I tell you what, CNN should be ashamed of themselves having you working for them. You are rude, terrible person. You should not be working for CNN. Go ahead. You are a very rude person, the way that you treat Sarah Huckabee Sanders is horrible. The way that you treat other people is horrible. You should not treat people that way.

Trump then called on another reporter, Peter Alexander

Alexander: In Jim's defense, he is a diligent reporter.

Trump: I'm not a big fan of yours either, to be honest ... You are not the best ... Just sit down, please. When you report fake news no. When you report fake news, which CNN does a lot, you're the enemy other of the people.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/election-day-reaction-2018/h_cd5fd5d50e0918588e1cf9dcfd12e287

This press conference would be really funny if it was a mockumentary of a crazy idea that some reality tv star had won the presidency.  He literally goes off the rails on every answer.  But unfortunately this is real life.  The trump lie-o-meter is going off the charts right now.

No matter what though, Trump's biggest worry is still the Mueller investigation and he knows it. 

« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2018, 04:05:04 PM »

Online mmmmm

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 626

Trump: No, I want them to come into the country. But they have to come in legally. Through a process. I want it to be a process. And I want people to come in. And we need the people. Wait, wait. You know why we need the people? Because we have hundreds of companies move in. We need to people.

Acosta: Your campaign had an ad showing migrants climbing over walls and so on...

Trump: That's true. They were not actors. It is true. Do you think that they were actors? They did not come from Hollywood. These were people, this was an actual -- it happened a few days ago and...

Trump: Honestly I think that you should let me run the country. You run CNN. And if you did it well, your ratings will be much higher.

Acosta: If I can ask on the Russian investigation. Are you concerned that you may have...

Trump: I am not concerned about anything with the Russian investigation because it is a hoax. That is enough, put down the mic mic.

Trump: I tell you what, CNN should be ashamed of themselves having you working for them. You are rude, terrible person. You should not be working for CNN. Go ahead. You are a very rude person, the way that you treat Sarah Huckabee Sanders is horrible. The way that you treat other people is horrible. You should not treat people that way.

Trump: I'm not a big fan of yours either, to be honest ... You are not the best ... Just sit down, please. When you report fake news no. When you report fake news, which CNN does a lot, you're the enemy other of the people.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/election-day-reaction-2018/h_cd5fd5d50e0918588e1cf9dcfd12e287

This press conference would be really funny if it was a mockumentary of a crazy idea that some reality tv star had won the presidency.  He literally goes off the rails on every answer.  But unfortunately this is real life.  The trump lie-o-meter is going off the charts right now.

No matter what though, Trump's biggest worry is still the Mueller investigation and he knows it.

Except ... he just requested and got Jeff Sessions' resignation as Attorney General, which means he'll now have his own, non-recused toady in charge of the investigation.   Even if the latter doesn't directly interfere with Mueller, he can starve his investigations for funds.

'Don't want to have a redundant thread on that though, so follow-up should be here:

https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?topic=98072.0
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2018, 05:04:55 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Kyrie Irving
  • Tommy Points: 271

I stayed up late watching the election coverage last night and the 1st thing I see when I woke up this morning was this exchange between Jackass Acosta and bumbling Trump.  I couldn't change the channel quick enough to get away from that cringe worthy garbage.

« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2018, 12:51:46 PM »

Online fairweatherfan

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 2172
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Hey guys, remember the caravan? Sure is weird how this massive existential threat invasion of our country act of war hair on fire crisis suddenly got dropped the moment an election happened. Just like the Ebola-infected ISIS illegal immigrants of 2014 or the "Ground Zero Mosque" of 2010. Crazy how that keeps happening.

Don't lose the lesson in this; Lucy WILL put the football down again and WILL pull it away in the next election, and the next, and the next, until people wise up to this fearmongering crap.

And remember, whenever you hear someone start babbling about how everyone but Fox is the "propaganda wing of the DNC" or whatever, that they fell for this too. Daily heavy cable news coverage, embedded reporters, front page stories in the Washington Post, on and on that now dies down to a whisper and will soon disappear completely. The DNC would've much preferred they spend that time talking about healthcare and voter suppression than Those Sinister Refugees and What Ought To Be Done With Them.

« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2018, 05:34:59 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1120
Hey guys, remember the caravan? Sure is weird how this massive existential threat invasion of our country act of war hair on fire crisis suddenly got dropped the moment an election happened. Just like the Ebola-infected ISIS illegal immigrants of 2014 or the "Ground Zero Mosque" of 2010. Crazy how that keeps happening.

There are still 3,000 of them moving north out of the original one.  US troops are laying barb wire.

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-troops-on-the-us-mexico-border-pictures-barbed-wire-2018-11

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-troops-seen-setting-up-barbed-wire-near-mexico-border/ar-BBPlBX9

https://nypost.com/2018/11/03/us-troops-lay-down-barbed-wire-along-border-ahead-of-caravan/

So my question is where do you get your news?  Because sending troops to lay barbwire is still indicative that something is being down and if you read the above you will see that about 8,000 troops have been sent there.

The lesson from this is have better news sources.

« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2018, 06:03:43 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2206
now that the troops and something to actually stop them .  Hopefully they will stop and go back to their home. 

Please ..build the wall ASAP

« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2018, 07:22:10 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
Fire some warning shots over the Wall - Times have changed, America cannot take care of the world anymore. We have done it for too long to our detriment. Lots of other countries do much more than we do to protect their culture and stability and don't get called racist for doing it.

Time to pull up the gang plank.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #67 on: November 08, 2018, 08:31:43 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Don't lose the lesson in this; Lucy WILL put the football down again and WILL pull it away in the next election, and the next, and the next, until people wise up to this fearmongering crap.

And remember, whenever you hear someone start babbling about how everyone but Fox is the "propaganda wing of the DNC" or whatever, that they fell for this too. Daily heavy cable news coverage, embedded reporters, front page stories in the Washington Post, on and on that now dies down to a whisper and will soon disappear completely. The DNC would've much preferred they spend that time talking about healthcare and voter suppression than Those Sinister Refugees and What Ought To Be Done With Them.
TP for that.  45's blatantly obvious strategy was to amp up the immigrant fear-mongering in the days leading up to the election.  Guess it helped in border states like Florida and Texas.   :(  Exit polls indicated that immigration was the #1 issue for 31% of voters, second only to health care at 40-something%.  I can't remember such high voter importance for this issue ever, and I'm 60.

The other irony is how he managed to convince his base that a caravan hundreds of miles outside the US border is the real threat during a period of time when Americans are getting shot in bars, synagogues and yoga centers inside US borders.

« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2018, 11:55:19 PM »

Online fairweatherfan

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 2172
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

There are still 3,000 of them moving north out of the original one.  US troops are laying barb wire.

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-troops-on-the-us-mexico-border-pictures-barbed-wire-2018-11

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-troops-seen-setting-up-barbed-wire-near-mexico-border/ar-BBPlBX9

https://nypost.com/2018/11/03/us-troops-lay-down-barbed-wire-along-border-ahead-of-caravan/

So my question is where do you get your news?  Because sending troops to lay barbwire is still indicative that something is being down and if you read the above you will see that about 8,000 troops have been sent there.

The lesson from this is have better news sources.

I'm not talking about continuing to waste military resources - though the day after the election the "mission name" magically disappeared.

I'm talking about the breathless, hysterical, fearmongering wall-to-wall coverage by politicos and journos alike. That was always an election ploy, and an obvious one. Sorry if it slipped by you.

Fire some warning shots over the Wall - Times have changed, America cannot take care of the world anymore. We have done it for too long to our detriment. Lots of other countries do much more than we do to protect their culture and stability and don't get called racist for doing it.

Kudos for not explicitly saying America is a country for and by Western Europeans this time. Another win for political correctness!

« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2018, 06:11:35 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1120
I'm not talking about continuing to waste military resources - though the day after the election the "mission name" magically disappeared.

I'm talking about the breathless, hysterical, fearmongering wall-to-wall coverage by politicos and journos alike. That was always an election ploy, and an obvious one. Sorry if it slipped by you.

When troops are sent somewhere it is a big deal.   I am ex-military and I know what it means to deploy.  I would bet as they get closer and the news will pick this back up.   I heard some things on the radio yesterday as I drove around at work on an ABC affiliated channel.  Right now, we have a shooting that dominates the news cycle and the election.   It is normal for things to drop in and out of the news.

This is from today

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2018/11/09/migrant-caravan-mexico-president-trump-us-southern-border-immigration-asylum-central-americans/1939241002/

Just because the media does not cover something at present does not mean it is still not happening. 

Do you think perhaps that the media was using this to tempt Pres. Trump into saying something or to sway the election.   I could agree with that, fairweatherfan.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 06:33:46 AM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2018, 03:04:52 PM »

Online mmmmm

• Ray Allen

You are advocating firing weapons into another sovereign nation?  Seriously?

Because of a bunch of poor, destitute people who are walking up to the border to ask for asylum?    What, exactly, are you so terrified of that you would do such an insane thing for?
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #71 on: November 09, 2018, 03:08:21 PM »

Online mmmmm

• Ray Allen

When troops are sent somewhere it is a big deal.   I am ex-military and I know what it means to deploy.  I would bet as they get closer and the news will pick this back up.   I heard some things on the radio yesterday as I drove around at work on an ABC affiliated channel.  Right now, we have a shooting that dominates the news cycle and the election.   It is normal for things to drop in and out of the news.

This is from today

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2018/11/09/migrant-caravan-mexico-president-trump-us-southern-border-immigration-asylum-central-americans/1939241002/

Just because the media does not cover something at present does not mean it is still not happening. 

Do you think perhaps that the media was using this to tempt Pres. Trump into saying something or to sway the election.   I could agree with that, fairweatherfan.

He didn't say it (the caravan of migrants) isn't still happening nor that the military isn't still being deployed to confront it.

fairweatherfan's point is that the inflammatory, xenophobic rhetoric that was streaming constantly from the POTUS' megaphone suddenly dropped in volume once the elections happened.

« Reply #72 on: November 09, 2018, 03:10:40 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 1127
  • What a Pub Should Be

You are advocating firing weapons into another sovereign nation?  Seriously?

Because of a bunch of poor, destitute people who are walking up to the border to ask for asylum?    What, exactly, are you so terrified of that you would do such an insane thing for?

Anyone who isn't of white Western European descent.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #73 on: November 11, 2018, 12:09:26 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1805
  • bammokja
now that the troops and something to actually stop them .  Hopefully they will stop and go back to their home. 

the troops are not necessary to stop the migrants. indeed, the troops are forbidden by law from taking any police actions within the US.

so, what are these troops doing?

"This is quite a story. The NYT embeds with the troops getting heat exhaustion, eating MREs and digging trenches to keep water away from their cots as they do nothing useful awaiting the caravan"

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/10/us/deployed-inside-the-united-states-the-military-waits-for-the-migrant-caravan.html

and please keep in mind that the migrants are expected to arrive at the border near Tijuana, which is roughly 1,500 miles from McAllen tx, which is where the troops are stationed. plus, the migrants are not expected to arrive at the border for another month.

final point, any sort of wall the US spends billions and billions of tax dollars on will not stop drug flow or migrant crossings. that is fantasy. most of the drugs enter from the ocean, air, legal crossing checkpoints, or tunnels.

on the drug flow, if people in the US stop buying the drugs, the drug trade would dry up immediately.

on the migrant flow, people as a species are mobile and move from areas of danger and scarcity to areas of safety and abundance. no wall will stop people from moving from such areas to other areas.

we would be better off to ask why there is such compelling danger and scarcity in central america. the answer will be complex, but it will most certainly involve the US government, military, the drug trade, and people's drug habits.

Since I live near McAllen, tx right now, so I know this sort of stuff.  ;D

I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2018, 06:50:15 PM »

Offline matteo

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 105

the troops are not necessary to stop the migrants. indeed, the troops are forbidden by law from taking any police actions within the US.

so, what are these troops doing?

"This is quite a story. The NYT embeds with the troops getting heat exhaustion, eating MREs and digging trenches to keep water away from their cots as they do nothing useful awaiting the caravan"

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/10/us/deployed-inside-the-united-states-the-military-waits-for-the-migrant-caravan.html

and please keep in mind that the migrants are expected to arrive at the border near Tijuana, which is roughly 1,500 miles from McAllen tx, which is where the troops are stationed. plus, the migrants are not expected to arrive at the border for another month.

final point, any sort of wall the US spends billions and billions of tax dollars on will not stop drug flow or migrant crossings. that is fantasy. most of the drugs enter from the ocean, air, legal crossing checkpoints, or tunnels.

on the drug flow, if people in the US stop buying the drugs, the drug trade would dry up immediately.

on the migrant flow, people as a species are mobile and move from areas of danger and scarcity to areas of safety and abundance. no wall will stop people from moving from such areas to other areas.

we would be better off to ask why there is such compelling danger and scarcity in central america. the answer will be complex, but it will most certainly involve the US government, military, the drug trade, and people's drug habits.

Since I live near McAllen, tx right now, so I know this sort of stuff.  ;D

timing a bit off, fast walkers

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/19/669193788/shouting-mexico-first-hundreds-in-tijuana-march-against-migrant-caravan

Tijuana is a place that welcomes anyone, but you must have papers, you must identify yourself," demonstrator Magdalena Baltazar said on Sunday, as she waved a Mexican flag and marched through the city. "We work hard here. We don't get handouts. The government shouldn't be giving things to migrants when plenty of Mexicans are in a difficult position."

Most of the protesters said the migrants should be detained and deported.

The marchers had intended to head to the mayor's office to demand action but, as police cars raced ahead to block intersections, many protesters veered off, heading toward a shelter where more than 2,500 migrants are staying, according to Tijuana city officials.

Hello! Guest

Welcome to the CelticsStrong Forums.

Community

Signup to win FREE tickets

* indicates required