Author Topic: Caravan Of Immigrants Heading Toward the Border  (Read 4637 times)

Re: Caravan Of Immigrants Heading Toward the Border
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2018, 05:29:58 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1120
This is my issue with the republicans.  They are not offering any policy to address the problem, rather just trying to scare people into thinking democrats want open boarders.  Trump said on many occasions during the campaign that if Hillary was elected, she wanted to let in 200 Million immigrants.

The dems had complete control for a while under Pres. Obama, and did nothing yet continue to play up to this base.  The got Obamacare done, and little else during this period.  Were you angry with them?   I doubt it.

But your comment is not fully true either.

Jeff Flake announced this S. 2464: Three-Year Border and DACA Extension Act https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/115/s2464

You can see more here:   https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/subjects/immigration/6206

Was it comprehensive no, but Flake is a Republican from Arizona.  It is lost in House, though so partly true.

Democrats don’t help themselves with sanctuary cities, “Abolish ICE” , etc.

Agree and there are candidates who have said to abolish ICE:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2018/06/27/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-abolish-ice-newsroom-sot-vpx.cnn

Then there was this bill

http://fortune.com/2018/07/12/democrats-abolish-ice-bill/

The fact that they have promised much and did nothing is also starting to hurt the Dems on this issue

Many Democrats are lying awake at night fretting over the possibility of losing critical midterm races due to depressed Latino turnout. Interchangeable headlines declaring “Democrats have a Latino problem” recently appeared in outlets including New York Magazine, CNN and The Washington Post.

The Latino problem worrying Democrats this election cycle is a recurring theme that has scared many political insiders in recent memory. And though I’m not eligible to vote myself, it’s something that keeps me up at night, too: With Republicans so quick to display how much they hate Latinos and immigrants, why hasn’t the Democratic Party cracked the code on how to properly court us as voters and supporters?

As it stands, Democrats have done a good job distancing themselves from much of the racist and xenophobic rhetoric that Donald Trump has been using ever since he launched his presidential campaign in 2015. There are tweets condemning Trump’s cruel family separation policy, videos of visits to immigration detention centers, and pledges to defend core values that are important to Latino families residing in the United States.

But as Democrats continue to define what they are for and against in the Trump era, they fail to adequately address the issues that really matter to us.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/opinion-democrats-latino-problem_us_5bca12d7e4b0d38b5877d0d5

With the hard-fought midterm elections less than three weeks away, Democratic Party strategists hope Latino voters who are angered by the Trump administration’s policies and divisive language will help deliver resounding victories in many of the races that will decide political control in Washington. If ever there were a time to cast protest ballots, they reason, it would be with President Trump in the White House.

But interviews with dozens of Hispanic voters in Nevada and California, two key battleground states, showed a more complicated picture that is deeply alarming to Democratic Party officials. Away from campaign rallies and candidates, many voters said they felt disempowered rather than emboldened; they expressed feelings of cynicism, apathy and fear fueled by the highly fraught political moment. Others said that messaging about immigration policy alone is not enough to motivate them.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/21/us/trump-latinos-democrats-midterms.html

If I have confidence on one thing involving politics is the following.  That a lot of American people will always vote against their interests.

In places with large populations of Hispanic voters, such as Texas, Republican candidates seem to be faring well. A recent Quinnipiac University poll in the Senate race there showed incumbent Ted Cruz with 45 percent of Hispanic support -- falling short of Democratic challenger Beto O’Rourke’s 54 percent, but still strong. Gov. Greg Abbott led his Democratic opponent, former Dallas County Sheriff Lupe Valdez, among Latinos in the state by a margin of 49 percent to 45 percent. The RealClearPolitics average in the Senate race shows Cruz up by seven percentage points while Abbott is up by 19 in the average for that race.

In Florida, several polls taken earlier this year showed Gov. Rick Scott, who is running for the U.S. Senate, either leading or in a dead heat with incumbent Democrat Bill Nelson. Both the Cuban immigrant population, known for being more conservative, and the Puerto Rican population show high favorable numbers for Scott. One poll from Florida International University in June showed the two-term governor leading among voters of Puerto Rican heritage by a 21-point margin in the net favorable ratings – this despite 57 percent of them identifying as Democrats. RCP has the race as a tie in the average of the latest overall polls.

Both sides agree that Latino support is still up for grabs to Democrats or Republicans willing to reach out and make their case to this group, which many say has still not happened in the waning days of this cycle.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2018/10/22/latino_voters_still_up_for_grabs_in_midterms_138415.html
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 05:37:05 PM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2018, 09:59:09 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1805
  • bammokja
sometimes having other views and a bit of historical context is helpful to a conversation.

https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/inconvenient-truth-bound-migrant-caravan-181027071034920.html
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2018, 09:17:18 AM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 215
OMG the brown people are coming!!!!! (sarcasm)

Enforce the laws, stop the race-baiting fearmongering.

Not complicated.

It is complicated, though.  Once those asylum seekers reach US soil, we get to either 1. Let them in, or 2. see stories about kids in cages.

Looks like we went with door number 3, which is send the ****ing military to defend the border before Election Day with the migrants still 1,000 miles away.

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2018, 09:31:01 AM »

Offline gift

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 165
Am I the only one who thinks of the movie Snatch when hearing the word 'caravan'?

« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2018, 12:30:49 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2466
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Donald Trump has used intentional language to dehumanize immigrants, particularly those from Central and South America. Using language, imagery, etc to dehumanize a group of people is a pretty cliche card to play, and has been the precursor to horrific acts of abuse and outright genocide throughout history.

Here's Trump's most recent ad: https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1057728445386539008

Don't be surprised when more hate crime against minorities occur. Don't be surprised when someone decides to take removing these 'animals' from our country into their own hands. And if you're not voicing an opposition to Trump doing stuff like this now, please don't tell everyone how disgusted by the violence you are later.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2018, 12:45:06 PM »

Online nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 5898
10,000 to 15,000 troops headed to the border costing somewhere between $60-110 million. If 15,000 troops that would equal the amount of troops currently deployed in Afghanistan. 15,000 military personnel put on another country's border. I wonder how Trump would react if Mexico or Canada did the same or if China brought several naval vessels within 20 miles of Hawaii. This is a dangerous move.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/ahead-of-midterm-elections-trump-says-he-may-send-15000-troops-to-us-mexico-border/2018/10/31/9e7740ec-dd4a-11e8-aa33-53bad9a881e8_story.html

And for what? To rile up his base for mid term election success. Kinda disgusting.

« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2018, 01:09:13 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 280
This is the desperate act of a man that has no solutions to offer to the real problems our country has. He is now out with this nonsense ad.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1057728445386539008

Maybe you don't think the Democrats' solutions to America's problems are the best. But at least they are trying - there are serious people actually trying to solve problems. Democrats' closing ads focus overwhelmingly on healthcare, and on actual laws and policies that affect people's lives. Not this dreck.

« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2018, 02:14:13 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1322
Donald Trump has used intentional language to dehumanize immigrants, particularly those from Central and South America. Using language, imagery, etc to dehumanize a group of people is a pretty cliche card to play, and has been the precursor to horrific acts of abuse and outright genocide throughout history.

Here's Trump's most recent ad: https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1057728445386539008

Don't be surprised when more hate crime against minorities occur. Don't be surprised when someone decides to take removing these 'animals' from our country into their own hands. And if you're not voicing an opposition to Trump doing stuff like this now, please don't tell everyone how disgusted by the violence you are later.

Yeah, I'm tired of Trump's rhetoric. It's disgusting.

And sadly, while nowhere near the magnitude of problematic, this type of rhetoric distracts from the real issues at the heart of why a lot of people want to see a substantial decrease in immigration.

« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2018, 05:33:04 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 2172
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
This is the desperate act of a man that has no solutions to offer to the real problems our country has. He is now out with this nonsense ad.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1057728445386539008

I hope everybody's excited for at least another 2 years straight of this.

« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2018, 06:06:03 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 2206
I cut off ALL trade with Mexico if they allow this ...Maybe we should let Canada or Japan send 15 thousand people into their cou try when ever......i warn the El Presidente .  You turn em back or Mexico City gets the wrath of our Navy . 

Leting an i vading force though your country is an act of war .   It would have been at least though Kennedy to Nixons admin.  I doubt even the liberal Bushes or Clinton would have toterated an invading force. on home soil.

I just can t help but think the libs are behind this some how ....somebodies sponsored it.

« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2018, 06:39:46 PM »

Online nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 5898
Saw this on ABC News:

Trump: I promise not to lie.

Reporter: Have you kept that promise? Have you lied?

Trump: Well, I try not to.

Awesome, Mr. President. Thanks for the laugh.

« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2018, 07:09:37 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 373
I cut off ALL trade with Mexico if they allow this ...Maybe we should let Canada or Japan send 15 thousand people into their cou try when ever......i warn the El Presidente .  You turn em back or Mexico City gets the wrath of our Navy . 

Leting an i vading force though your country is an act of war .   It would have been at least though Kennedy to Nixons admin.  I doubt even the liberal Bushes or Clinton would have toterated an invading force. on home soil.

I just can t help but think the libs are behind this some how ....somebodies sponsored it.

The utter fabrications (15 thousand people?), ignorance of history ( migrants have been making this journey for as long as we’ve been growing fruit in California), and allusion to conspiracy (“the libs are behind this”) make this post a perfect example of what’s going on in our country.
I fear we are doomed.

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2018, 07:10:24 PM »

Offline gouki88

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 309
Saw this on ABC News:

Trump: I promise not to lie.

Reporter: Have you kept that promise? Have you lied?

Trump: Well, I try not to.

Awesome, Mr. President. Thanks for the laugh.
Unreal. Honestly sounds like a skit

« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2018, 08:43:05 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2466
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
https://twitter.com/mitchellreports/status/1058106652182765568

More context: @realDonaldTrump said that he has told the military to respond to any rock throwing by members of the migrant caravan as if it was an armed attack. "They want to throw rocks at our military, our military fightsback. I told them to consider it a rifle."

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2018, 09:12:37 PM »

Offline liam

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1031
https://twitter.com/mitchellreports/status/1058106652182765568

More context: @realDonaldTrump said that he has told the military to respond to any rock throwing by members of the migrant caravan as if it was an armed attack. "They want to throw rocks at our military, our military fightsback. I told them to consider it a rifle."

..and Trump keeps inciting violence. American soldiers already know how to defend themselves they don't need POTUS bone spurs to tell them anything. The "Caravan" has been totally peaceful, just walking.

Hello! Guest

Welcome to the CelticsStrong Forums.

Community

Signup to win FREE tickets

* indicates required