Author Topic: Trump celebrates violence against journalist  (Read 746 times)

Trump celebrates violence against journalist
« on: October 19, 2018, 09:37:49 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 2145
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
While the administration frantically searches for a narrative that lets them look past the brutal torture, murder and dismemberment of Jamal Kashoggi, a Saudi dissident journalist who lived in the US, in a Saudi diplomatic facility, the President stood up at yet another campaign rally and praised Republican Representative Greg Gianforte for brutally assaulting a journalist just prior to his election last year.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45913921

Gianforte, who has faced no political consequences, body-slammed and punched a reporter for the Guardian for asking him a health care question, then his campaign repeatedly lied about the attack before admitting to it after winning. He pleaded guilty to misdemeanor assault.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/06/12/532613316/montanas-gianforte-pleads-guilty-wont-serve-jail-time-in-assault-on-journalist

With all the recent talk of incivility and political violence, can Trump supporters credibly claim to actually be opposed to either?

Re: Trump celebrates violence against journalist
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 09:58:12 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 615
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 10:52:30 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 373
Well it's not good, and I'd rather as a Trump supporter not see this.

That being said....

Maybe if the media didn't produce cartoons mocking children praying for their enemies, or calling Kanye West the token negro for republicans, some of us might have sympathy for those who get tossed on their rear at times.

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 11:28:30 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27542
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
Itís stupid, wrong, and unnecessary.

That said... (whatabout) ...

Praising flawed allies is what politicians do. Itís how they build support, as gross as that is.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 11:31:37 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Bill Sharman

Praising flawed allies is what politicians do. Itís how they build support, as gross as that is.

If Obama ever praised Ted Kennedy at length for causing a woman to drown while a crowd of supporters cheered and laughed I'm all ears. That's the parallel here.

Maybe if the media didn't produce cartoons mocking children praying for their enemies, or calling Kanye West the token negro for republicans, some of us might have sympathy for those who get tossed on their rear at times.

Both of those things happened after Gianforte's crime, so that seems highly doubtful. And none of them involved Ben Jacobs who was actually attacked.

There's always going to be a grievance, so arguing there can't be anything you're upset about before you'll be sympathetic to the victim of a violent politician is essentially saying you never will be.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 11:42:55 AM by fairweatherfan »

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 11:31:51 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Bill Sharman
Double post, glitch in the Matrix.

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 11:36:50 AM »

Online nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 5813
I am not surprised by Trump doing this. Trump is the same guy that backed and supported a candidate for Senate that had been accused of sexual misconduct against children and women. The man's moral compass is all out of whack.

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 11:49:40 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
If Obama ever praised Ted Kennedy at length for causing a woman to drown while a crowd of supporters cheered and laughed I'm all ears. That's the parallel here

Thatís fair. Directly reveling in somebodyís misdeeds isnít the same as ignoring those misdeeds and lionizing a person. But, theyíre cut from the same cloth. 

As I said, this is stupid, undignified, and at least in better days, beneath the office of the Presidency. In other words, Trumpian.

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 12:00:54 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2452
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I only came here to see why this isn't something that I'm allowed to be mad about because 'What about this other thing that isn't the same thing as this thing'

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 12:07:54 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I only came here to see why this isn't something that I'm allowed to be mad about because 'What about this other thing that isn't the same thing as this thing'

Be mad about it.

Then ask yourself how much youíd care if one of your favored pols said the same thing. Maxine Waters, Eric Holder, Hillary Clinton. Violence and incivility is being normalized.

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 12:08:18 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 373

If Obama ever praised Ted Kennedy at length for causing a woman to drown while a crowd of supporters cheered and laughed I'm all ears. That's the parallel here.

Both of those things happened after Gianforte's crime, so that seems highly doubtful. And none of them involved Ben Jacobs who was actually attacked.

There's always going to be a grievance, so arguing there can't be anything you're upset about before you'll be sympathetic to the victim of a violent politician is essentially saying you never will be.

I'm not blaming those actions for what happened. I just brought them up because they're recent and illustrate the vile MSM for what it is really about. The media hasn't exactly been kind to conservatives. They've pushed the narrative of the right being nothing more than racists and homophobes who want to push grandma over the cliff. Many Americans see the MSM as nothing more than a PR arm of the democratic party, which I can't really argue that's wrong.

So when you have something like this happen to a member of a group who is openly hostile to them and what they believe, are you surprised they are not punishing Rep for what he did?

I'll reiterate that I don't want to see this type of things happen, I want my side to be above such things. This is not the way to get things done.

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2018, 12:22:23 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 403
"CIA Cover-Up Op Was One of the 33K Deleted ďYogaĒ Emails On Clintonís Private Server!"

Yeah, let us keep our eye's on the joke Trump made about "journalists."   :angel:

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2018, 12:58:21 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 615
So much for this thread actually being about what Trump did or said.   Let's talk instead about former politicians who aren't even in any office anymore and one that is long dead!

The whataboutism forcefield on this blog is immensely powerful.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2018, 01:04:27 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
So much for this thread actually being about what Trump did or said.   Let's talk instead about former politicians who aren't even in any office anymore and one that is long dead!

The whataboutism forcefield on this blog is immensely powerful.

Almost all of the comments have addressed the remarks.  Some of them also acknowledge the context of the world we live in, similar to the famous "all politicians lie" we're seeing argued elsewhere.

What is your post adding to the conversation?

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2018, 01:07:12 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Bill Sharman

I'm not blaming those actions for what happened. I just brought them up because they're recent and illustrate the vile MSM for what it is really about. The media hasn't exactly been kind to conservatives. They've pushed the narrative of the right being nothing more than racists and homophobes who want to push grandma over the cliff. Many Americans see the MSM as nothing more than a PR arm of the democratic party, which I can't really argue that's wrong.

So when you have something like this happen to a member of a group who is openly hostile to them and what they believe, are you surprised they are not punishing Rep for what he did?

I'll reiterate that I don't want to see this type of things happen, I want my side to be above such things. This is not the way to get things done.

You're conflating like a political cartoon, two guys on CNN and an old campaign ad with "the media", which is literally thousands of people, to say it's totally reasonable for an entire political wing to cheer when they're violently attacked. That's victim blaming and making excuses for celebrating their assault.

Just because their competitors are feeding you a constant stream of victimhood and persecution doesn't justify excusing actual victimization and persecution, let alone cheering it.

But flip your own rationalization around - journalists see a President who routinely singles them out for a Two Minutes' Hate from his jeering supporters, lies about them prolifically, refers to them as "the enemy of the people" and celebrates elected officials using violence against them, all while enjoying overwhelming Republican support. Why shouldn't they be biased against people like that? It's not like there isn't a wealth of other odious behaviors and statements alongside it.

Hello! Guest

Welcome to the CelticsStrong Forums.

Community

Signup to win FREE tickets

* indicates required