Author Topic: Is Elizabeth Warren an American Indian?  (Read 5235 times)

Re: Is Elizabeth Warren an American Indian?
« Reply #120 on: October 19, 2018, 12:30:50 AM »

Online nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 5813
Hey, my kids are as white as you get but are 50% Puertorican. They identify as both Italian-American and Puertorican. You can be sure I told them to register on the SAT as Hispanic. They got letters from minority clubs on their campuses to join. They did and said a large amount of people were white but had some part of them that was minority. And the clubs didn't care because they knew, your skin color does not define your ethnicity.

Warren was told since a child she was part Native American. She is about my age and back then they did ask your ethnicity. If she identified as part NA, it was her option to do so. It benefited her. It benefits my son's to identify themselves as minority when applying to college and jobs. Don't see anything wrong with what she did.

It wasn't until recently that she was actually called into question regarding her ethnicity. And you can rest assure that where she worked loved having a white skinned person who could be called a minority and took advantage of that. Harvard definitely did.

I just see a huge difference between 50% and 1/64th to 1,024th.
The percentage really doesn't matter to colleges and jobs. As I said, if a college or job can list you as a minority even though you are white, they aren't going to have any problem with that.

I'm not sure I agree.  If I run a DNA test and it shows I'm 1/1000th African, I think a college might have some concerns if I listed myself as African-American. 

And if they don't, doesn't that make "race" and "diversity" meaningless?
But Roy, she only just found out what percentage of NA she is and even there, it's not a certainty what percentage it is. She was told as a child she was part Native American on her mother's side(?). What was she supposed to do as an 18 year old in the 80's, ask for a DNA test that didn't exist back then to try to prove her parents and grandparents liars? And if it benefited her to identify as minority because she was told she was part minority, was she not supposed to take advantage of that? Harvard took advantage of it.

She should listen to Ronald Reagan.  Trust, but verify. 

The last thing we should want in a politician is "This might not be true, but it's in my own personal interests, so I'm just going to run with it."
Yeah, so in the 80's she should have questioned her parents telling her she was Native American and take a test THAT DIDN'T EXIST AT THE TIME, in an attempt to prove her parents were lying to her.

Come on! That's ridiculous.

Do you know how many kids who are adopted are never told they were adopted? It's a lot. So is every kid supposed to not believe their parents that they are truly their parents and take a DNA test to prove what their parents told them?

Ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous.

Mid-to-late 90s.

My middle class family has traced our genealogy.

Lieawatha Warren — a rich and powerful woman of privilege — couldn’t trace hers? I mean, public researchers know about her Cherokee-displacing Tennessee militia relative. She can’t verify the heritage she’s appropriating?
Roy, she was in college in the late 70's. Her career began in the early to mid 80's. DNA testing didn't even make a difference in court cases until 1986. She couldn't even probably get a test for geneology purposes until the mid to late 90's.

Everything had already happened by then. The idea she should have assumed her parents lied to her and then taken a test for geneology purposes as soon as was possible to the public which wasn't until she was already in her mid 40's is patently ridiculous.

It makes absolutely zero logical sense if you look at the timeline of things. No logical sense whatsoever.

« Reply #121 on: October 19, 2018, 12:35:17 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27542
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
Hey, my kids are as white as you get but are 50% Puertorican. They identify as both Italian-American and Puertorican. You can be sure I told them to register on the SAT as Hispanic. They got letters from minority clubs on their campuses to join. They did and said a large amount of people were white but had some part of them that was minority. And the clubs didn't care because they knew, your skin color does not define your ethnicity.

Warren was told since a child she was part Native American. She is about my age and back then they did ask your ethnicity. If she identified as part NA, it was her option to do so. It benefited her. It benefits my son's to identify themselves as minority when applying to college and jobs. Don't see anything wrong with what she did.

It wasn't until recently that she was actually called into question regarding her ethnicity. And you can rest assure that where she worked loved having a white skinned person who could be called a minority and took advantage of that. Harvard definitely did.

The percentage really doesn't matter to colleges and jobs. As I said, if a college or job can list you as a minority even though you are white, they aren't going to have any problem with that.

I'm not sure I agree.  If I run a DNA test and it shows I'm 1/1000th African, I think a college might have some concerns if I listed myself as African-American. 

But Roy, she only just found out what percentage of NA she is and even there, it's not a certainty what percentage it is. She was told as a child she was part Native American on her mother's side(?). What was she supposed to do as an 18 year old in the 80's, ask for a DNA test that didn't exist back then to try to prove her parents and grandparents liars? And if it benefited her to identify as minority because she was told she was part minority, was she not supposed to take advantage of that? Harvard took advantage of it.

The last thing we should want in a politician is "This might not be true, but it's in my own personal interests, so I'm just going to run with it."
Yeah, so in the 80's she should have questioned her parents telling her she was Native American and take a test THAT DIDN'T EXIST AT THE TIME, in an attempt to prove her parents were lying to her.

Do you know how many kids who are adopted are never told they were adopted? It's a lot. So is every kid supposed to not believe their parents that they are truly their parents and take a DNA test to prove what their parents told them?

Mid-to-late 90s.

Lieawatha Warren — a rich and powerful woman of privilege — couldn’t trace hers? I mean, public researchers know about her Cherokee-displacing Tennessee militia relative. She can’t verify the heritage she’s appropriating?
Roy, she was in college in the late 70's. Her career began in the early to mid 80's. DNA testing didn't even make a difference in court cases until 1986. She couldn't even probably get a test for geneology purposes until the mid to late 90's.

Everything had already happened by then. The idea she should have assumed her parents lied to her and then taken a test for geneology purposes as soon as was possible to the public which wasn't until she was already in her mid 40's is patently ridiculous.

It makes absolutely zero logical sense if you look at the timeline of things. No logical sense whatsoever.

Again, before I started defining myself as an Indian despite my cadaver-white skin, I’d take a look at my family tree.  She’s not some naive bumpkin, she’s a law professor by trade.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #122 on: October 19, 2018, 12:51:01 AM »

Online nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 5813

Mid-to-late 90s.

Again, before I started defining myself as an Indian despite my cadaver-white skin, I’d take a look at my family tree.  She’s not some naive bumpkin, she’s a law professor by trade.
So for you it comes down to skin color even though skin color has nothing to do with ethnicity. Take a trip to Argentina and she all the blonde haired and blue eyed people there. Go to Puerto Rico and see all the white people there. Go to Turkey and see all the white, Muslim, middle easterners there. Stay in America and see all the white Native Americans here.

« Reply #123 on: October 19, 2018, 01:21:42 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1621
She's a fraud. Not sure why there's been a nine page discussion on this. =)

« Reply #124 on: October 19, 2018, 03:37:00 AM »

Offline gouki88

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 228
She's a fraud. Not sure why there's been a nine page discussion on this. =)
We're only 1 game into the season is why ;)

We need more basketball!!
C: Gasol, McGee, Zubac, Chandler, Wagner
F: LeBron, Kuzma, Brooks, Stephenson, Mykhailiuk
G: Rondo, Ingram, Hart, Mack, Bonga
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/team
C: Gobert, Udoh
F: Ingles, Favors, Crowder, O'Neale, Sefolosha, Niang
G: Mitchell, Rubio, Exum, Korver, Allen, Neto

« Reply #125 on: October 19, 2018, 06:14:05 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1108

Hidden in this thread is an article where some of her family members deny this was ever part of the "family history".  I looked it up and here is an article

Warren’s extended family has mixed opinions on the Native American question. The stories shared by Mapes, as well as Warren’s brothers and a number of her cousins, echo Warren’s assertion. But other cousins, some of whom also do not know Warren, say they know nothing of Native American blood in the family. According to one family biography, on file at the California State University at Fullerton, one of Warren’s relatives once shot at an Indian.

Months after the political flare-up, Warren and some of her family members remain unwilling to provide details on the subject. In a lengthy interview, Warren referred to stories about her roots that she says were frequently told at family gatherings in her native Oklahoma, but declined to share virtually any of them. “I knew it was part of our family,’’ Warren said. “It was part of what we talked about. . . . It was just part of who we were.’’

Warren’s family, including cousin Mapes, have no documentation of Native American affiliation, nor is there evidence that they are listed on any official tribal roll. While Senator Scott Brown, Warren’s opponent, has used this to question her truthfulness, many who assert such heritage are unable to document it, according to several scholars. During the late 1800s and early 1900s, many Native Americans did not join tribal rolls for a host of complex reasons, including residency requirements, fear of discrimination, and opposition to land allotment policies.

In the absence of documentation, the family’s link to any Native American tribe is a matter of narrative inheritance or folklore, as Warren puts it. Even if Warren has some degree of Native American blood, it is unclear if it would meet conventional standards of what constitutes a minority.

https://www.boston.com/news/politics/2012/09/15/elizabeth-warren-family-native-american-heritage

So some family members, agree with it and some do not.   Some feel ashamed of it, and would never admit it if they did.   If you read the article you will see some are adamant and some think it is nonsense.  Family folklore can be wrong, too.  This seems further back than the family stories indicate.

But one should not check the box  on an application based on family folklore.

So for you it comes down to skin color even though skin color has nothing to do with ethnicity. Take a trip to Argentina and she all the blonde haired and blue eyed people there. Go to Puerto Rico and see all the white people there. Go to Turkey and see all the white, Muslim, middle easterners there. Stay in America and see all the white Native Americans here.

Wonder if they have more than 1.8% DNA?   

One thing this tribalism has done is that people are willing to defend the ridiculous.  They almost feel they have to, defend their tribe even in the face of clear evidence.

« Reply #126 on: October 19, 2018, 06:16:47 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Mid-to-late 90s.

It comes down to the family tree.

As mentioned above, most of us don’t self-identify — or more importantly, externally-identify — based upon folklore.

It’s the purest form of cultural appropriation. She wore her heritage like a costume, using it to benefit herself professionally, but taking it off in all other contexts.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 06:26:28 AM by Roy H. »

« Reply #127 on: October 19, 2018, 06:20:42 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1108
This has hurt her, and she tried but its hard to out Trump, Trump

Bakari Sellers, a CNN analyst and former Democratic legislator from the early-primary state of South Carolina, was even more blunt. “Not only is it an abuse of affirmative action, it’s ignorant of how race is dealt with or how race is defined,” said Sellers, who remains involved in his state’s political scene. “She is not Native American. She’s not a leader on issues relating to indigenous people. It’s ignorant of their culture. It’s selfish. It’s all about her and Donald Trump. And having two white people argue about who is indigenous is Peak 2018.”

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/10/elizabeth-warren-shows-democrats-how-to-lose-in-2020

I don't think she energized the GOP base as much as say a Pelosi but this will keep their energy up until the mid terms which is bad.   In the end, this was a big distraction that hurts the opportunity to draw differences between the two parties.

« Reply #128 on: October 19, 2018, 06:53:41 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 648
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Yeah 9 pages is enough.  Can we just strip this down?  It's simple: Some people hate Elizabeth Warren.  They look at this one issue (which she didn't handle well, not even sure it's a lie) and jump on while giving a pass to the current resident of the White House, even though he lies every single day and dozens of things.

« Reply #129 on: October 19, 2018, 07:14:59 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Yeah 9 pages is enough.  Can we just strip this down?  It's simple: Some people hate Elizabeth Warren.  They look at this one issue (which she didn't handle well, not even sure it's a lie) and jump on while giving a pass to the current resident of the White House, even though he lies every single day and dozens of things.

I think that a lot of us don’t appreciate the lies from either of them. 

« Reply #130 on: October 19, 2018, 08:42:12 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 648
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I think that a lot of us don’t appreciate the lies from either of them.
Somebody earlier said all politicians lie.  I won't argue with that.  It's the sheer number of lies that matters.  That said, I'm not sure EW is lying about this one thing.  At least she went ahead and collected a FACT in her favor.

« Reply #131 on: October 19, 2018, 09:25:11 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 615

Is this really what you believe in?   Who did you vote for in the last Presidential election, again?

Or is THIS (Warren's ethnicity on forms filled out when she was young) somehow the "Big Lie" that pushes you over the edge to demand 100% purity of truth from your elected officials?

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #132 on: October 19, 2018, 10:30:46 AM »

Offline Moranis

• Global Moderator
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 977

Mid-to-late 90s.

It comes down to the family tree.

As mentioned above, most of us don’t self-identify — or more importantly, externally-identify — based upon folklore.

It’s the purest form of cultural appropriation. She wore her heritage like a costume, using it to benefit herself professionally, but taking it off in all other contexts.
Come on now, she was told her great great grandmother was Native American.  She has only ever claimed to have been part Native American.  The DNA test certainly supports what she had always been told. 

Now she probably shouldn't have been claiming minority status given a great great grandmother is fairly removed, but if she only ever said her great great grandmother was Native American and Harvard made a bigger deal about it then they should have, that is also different.

« Reply #133 on: October 19, 2018, 12:21:46 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Is this really what you believe in?   Who did you vote for in the last Presidential election, again?

Or is THIS (Warren's ethnicity on forms filled out when she was young) somehow the "Big Lie" that pushes you over the edge to demand 100% purity of truth from your elected officials?

It’s always the ideal.  I mean, who did you vote for again?  Are you proud of that vote, or would you have preferred better choices?

« Reply #134 on: October 19, 2018, 12:26:15 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Now she probably shouldn't have been claiming minority status given a great great grandmother is fairly removed, but if she only ever said her great great grandmother was Native American and Harvard made a bigger deal about it then they should have, that is also different.

I agree. If the situation was that Warren was shooting the breeze with administrators and her heritage had come up in passing, and Harvard had said “That’s really interesting. Do you mind if we publicize this?”, it would be a non-issue to me.

But, that’s not what happened.

Hello! Guest

Welcome to the CelticsStrong Forums.

Community

Signup to win FREE tickets

* indicates required