Author Topic: Is Elizabeth Warren an American Indian?  (Read 5809 times)

Re: Is Elizabeth Warren an American Indian?
« Reply #105 on: October 18, 2018, 09:58:33 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27442
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
I think some folks really have an exaggerated notion about the benefits of labeling oneself a 'minority'.

You haven't looked into affirmative action at universities, then.   Labeling oneself as a certain ethnicity is the equivalent of adding 100+ points onto an SAT score in ultra-competitive admissions processes.

Also, from my own personal experience, I was involved in the process for hiring law clerks in the New Jersey judiciary.  Judges were pushed to hire minority candidates.  Every year, a blue paperback book was distributed with the names of candidates who had either self-identified as being in a minority, or who appeared to be a minority based upon certain very unscientific factors (such as name...  thus, how the judiciary ended up with white law clerks named Cimmerian and Winifred...  somebody thought those names sounded ethnic.)

Affirmative action is such a messed up situation.  It literally only looks skin deep, when not all minorities are similarly situated.  Rich black kids who go to elite prep schools will be given preference over a dirt poor white kid with better test scores.  That's bad enough.  To play off those stereotypes by claiming minority status when you're an upper class white woman is beyond the pale, though.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #106 on: October 18, 2018, 10:08:45 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1334
The problem isn't with how Warren "self-identifies", the problem is that she knowingly, and wrongly claimed minority status on a job application (twice) when she had no basis to do so.  I'm sorry but someone who is at best 1/64 minority, has never spent a day in her life living in said minority's culture, nor dealing with their struggles, has zero business claiming minority status on a job application (twice), and allowing both employers to tout/promote her minority status.

« Reply #107 on: October 18, 2018, 10:11:09 PM »

Offline Erik

• Kyrie Irving
  • Tommy Points: 167
  • The voice of reason
Yep, affirmative action is huge problem in a supposed mertiocracy. You can either have equal outcomes or equal opportunity. Pick.

« Reply #108 on: October 18, 2018, 10:51:54 PM »

Online nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 5939
Hey, my kids are as white as you get but are 50% Puertorican. They identify as both Italian-American and Puertorican. You can be sure I told them to register on the SAT as Hispanic. They got letters from minority clubs on their campuses to join. They did and said a large amount of people were white but had some part of them that was minority. And the clubs didn't care because they knew, your skin color does not define your ethnicity.

Warren was told since a child she was part Native American. She is about my age and back then they did ask your ethnicity. If she identified as part NA, it was her option to do so. It benefited her. It benefits my son's to identify themselves as minority when applying to college and jobs. Don't see anything wrong with what she did.

It wasn't until recently that she was actually called into question regarding her ethnicity. And you can rest assure that where she worked loved having a white skinned person who could be called a minority and took advantage of that. Harvard definitely did.

« Reply #109 on: October 18, 2018, 10:55:31 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Hey, my kids are as white as you get but are 50% Puertorican. They identify as both Italian-American and Puertorican. You can be sure I told them to register on the SAT as Hispanic. They got letters from minority clubs on their campuses to join. They did and said a large amount of people were white but had some part of them that was minority. And the clubs didn't care because they knew, your skin color does not define your ethnicity.

Warren was told since a child she was part Native American. She is about my age and back then they did ask your ethnicity. If she identified as part NA, it was her option to do so. It benefited her. It benefits my son's to identify themselves as minority when applying to college and jobs. Don't see anything wrong with what she did.

It wasn't until recently that she was actually called into question regarding her ethnicity. And you can rest assure that where she worked loved having a white skinned person who could be called a minority and took advantage of that. Harvard definitely did.

I just see a huge difference between 50% and 1/64th to 1,024th.

Who "identifies" as a minority if they don't have a single living relative who is a member of that minority? 

« Reply #110 on: October 18, 2018, 10:58:56 PM »

Online nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith

The percentage really doesn't matter to colleges and jobs. As I said, if a college or job can list you as a minority even though you are white, they aren't going to have any problem with that.

« Reply #111 on: October 18, 2018, 11:02:48 PM »

Offline footey

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1115
I have current events checked off in my profile and this crap still shows up in my forum topics. Can one of the mods fix this? Thank you.

« Reply #112 on: October 18, 2018, 11:04:39 PM »

Online nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
I have current events checked off in my profile and this crap still shows up in my forum topics. Can one of the mods fix this? Thank you.
Send Roy a PM. He is the designated mod for that

« Reply #113 on: October 18, 2018, 11:09:37 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

The percentage really doesn't matter to colleges and jobs. As I said, if a college or job can list you as a minority even though you are white, they aren't going to have any problem with that.

I'm not sure I agree.  If I run a DNA test and it shows I'm 1/1000th African, I think a college might have some concerns if I listed myself as African-American. 

And if they don't, doesn't that make "race" and "diversity" meaningless? 

« Reply #114 on: October 18, 2018, 11:12:09 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1334

You make a great argument for why such questions should not be allowed to be asked in the first place.

« Reply #115 on: October 18, 2018, 11:13:58 PM »

Online nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith

You make a great argument for why such questions should not be allowed to be asked in the first place.
Don't disagree.

« Reply #116 on: October 18, 2018, 11:19:28 PM »

Online nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith

I'm not sure I agree.  If I run a DNA test and it shows I'm 1/1000th African, I think a college might have some concerns if I listed myself as African-American. 

But Roy, she only just found out what percentage of NA she is and even there, it's not a certainty what percentage it is. She was told as a child she was part Native American on her mother's side(?). What was she supposed to do as an 18 year old in the 80's, ask for a DNA test that didn't exist back then to try to prove her parents and grandparents liars? And if it benefited her to identify as minority because she was told she was part minority, was she not supposed to take advantage of that? Harvard took advantage of it.

« Reply #117 on: October 18, 2018, 11:27:32 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

But Roy, she only just found out what percentage of NA she is and even there, it's not a certainty what percentage it is. She was told as a child she was part Native American on her mother's side(?). What was she supposed to do as an 18 year old in the 80's, ask for a DNA test that didn't exist back then to try to prove her parents and grandparents liars? And if it benefited her to identify as minority because she was told she was part minority, was she not supposed to take advantage of that? Harvard took advantage of it.

She should listen to Ronald Reagan.  Trust, but verify. 

The last thing we should want in a politician is "This might not be true, but it's in my own personal interests, so I'm just going to run with it."

« Reply #118 on: October 19, 2018, 12:12:51 AM »

Online nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith

The last thing we should want in a politician is "This might not be true, but it's in my own personal interests, so I'm just going to run with it."
Yeah, so in the 80's she should have questioned her parents telling her she was Native American and take a test THAT DIDN'T EXIST AT THE TIME, in an attempt to prove her parents were lying to her.

Come on! That's ridiculous.

Do you know how many kids who are adopted are never told they were adopted? It's a lot. So is every kid supposed to not believe their parents that they are truly their parents and take a DNA test to prove what their parents told them?

Ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous.

« Reply #119 on: October 19, 2018, 12:19:43 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Yeah, so in the 80's she should have questioned her parents telling her she was Native American and take a test THAT DIDN'T EXIST AT THE TIME, in an attempt to prove her parents were lying to her.

Come on! That's ridiculous.

Do you know how many kids who are adopted are never told they were adopted? It's a lot. So is every kid supposed to not believe their parents that they are truly their parents and take a DNA test to prove what their parents told them?

Ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous.

Mid-to-late 90s.

My middle class family has traced our genealogy.

Lieawatha Warren — a rich and powerful woman of privilege — couldn’t trace hers? I mean, public researchers know about her Cherokee-displacing Tennessee militia relative. She can’t verify the heritage she’s appropriating?

Hello! Guest

Welcome to the CelticsStrong Forums.

Community

Signup to win FREE tickets

* indicates required