Author Topic: Is Elizabeth Warren an American Indian?  (Read 5416 times)

Re: Is Elizabeth Warren an American Indian?
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2018, 03:48:27 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 624
Why do people care about this?

I think it's a way for opponents to hammer Warren as disingenuous, which they think invalidates her and her stated agenda, which presents as somewhat altruistic. It's used by people who don't agree with her ideas to dismiss her as a phony.

I think it's very similar to false claims about Obama's childhood or the birther movement in terms of motivation by those who put stock in it.

This^
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2018, 03:49:24 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 5891
Warren was told by relatives that somewhere in her ancestral past she had Native American blood, what was she supposed to do at 18-25 years old? Question the past her relatives told her about? Before taking a DNA test, all Warren could do was believe what she was told

If you were told by relatives that your great, great, great grandfather was the only Italian in your family, would you identify yourself professionally as Italian?
All I am saying is that when she was younger that's all she knew. Also, most college minority organizations could care less how much of you is a minority, just so long as you have some.

My kids are half Italian half Puertorican, but white as white can be. But they were contacted by minority groups in their colleges because they listed both ancestries. My guess is somewhere on my ex-wife's side of things her ancestors were from Spain. If my kids want to identify themselves as part Spanish, I could care less.   

And I couldn't care less what Warren identified herself as. Like I said, I judge her on her politics and the work she has done as a representative of Massachusetts.

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2018, 04:03:36 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27460
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
And I couldn't care less what Warren identified herself as. Like I said, I judge her on her politics and the work she has done as a representative of Massachusetts.

Should all politicians be held to that standard? “I don’t care what lies they’ve told, I’m just judging them on their policies and results”?

Because if so, Trump looks a lot more palatable.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2018, 04:12:29 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 624

Should all politicians be held to that standard? “I don’t care what lies they’ve told, I’m just judging them on their policies and results”?

Could you please cite the very specific lie(s) you are referring to from Warren?  Please provide references.

Here are a portion of Trump's many lies:

https://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/

(That link goes to 11 pages of results.)

Just to be fair:  Here is what they had for Warren:

https://www.politifact.com/personalities/elizabeth-warren/statements/byruling/false/

(That link returns an empty page.)

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2018, 04:13:34 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 102

Hahaha
That was an unusually poor misdirect by you. Your “quotes” don’t represent at all what the poster stated.

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2018, 04:17:28 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith

Doesn't Trump get a free pass from Republicans even though he has been divorced several times, has more than 10 women claiming sexual assault against him and went into bankruptcy like 6 times? The man claims to be the best business man ever who only started with a small loan from his dad(not true). And he claims to love the Bible and gets Communion as often as possible. But conservative Republicans and Evangelical Christian Republicans just don't care about those things.

Politicians lie. It's what they do. Warren was told she was part Native American by her family and for many years identified with that ancestry. If that's a lie, so be it. A ton of politicians get free rides for lies a lot more serious than that.

« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2018, 04:18:48 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Hahaha
That was an unusually poor misdirect by you. Your “quotes” don’t represent at all what the poster stated.

Call it pre-election behavior, then.

Warren lied, plagiarized, and has been hypocritical about about capitalism. How much of that is fair game for criticism?

« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2018, 04:25:32 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Doesn't Trump get a free pass from Republicans even though he has been divorced several times, has more than 10 women claiming sexual assault against him and went into bankruptcy like 6 times? The man claims to be the best business man ever who only started with a small loan from his dad(not true). And he claims to love the Bible and gets Communion as often as possible. But conservative Republicans and Evangelical Christian Republicans just don't care about those things.

Politicians lie. It's what they do. Warren was told she was part Native American by her family and for many years identified with that ancestry. If that's a lie, so be it. A ton of politicians get free rides for lies a lot more serious than that.

Yes, many Republican voters are huge hypocrites, as are Democrat voters.

But, we’re not talking about our fellow partisans. It’s about our own standards. So, I’m adking what your general standards are regarding politicians lying, plagiarizing and being hypocritical. Does that stuff matter? Does it only matter when the other side does it?

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2018, 04:28:12 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 2171
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

He also falsely claimed to be Swedish instead of German for years (scroll to "Hiding from History"), he and his dad thought it made it easier to sell to Jewish tenants.

It's genuinely difficult to find an issue, valid or not, that any politician has that Trump does not also have to some degree or another. Perversely the sheer quantity of them sort of leads to them canceling themselves out in the public eye.

« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2018, 04:29:32 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Yes to all of that about Trump.  I am dismayed that being hypocritical has become normalized in American politics.  Some folks will counter that with the "but what about (xx democrat)..." and never address the original question.  Very disappointing.

Regarding Warren's "lie", it wasn't.  As you said, this is what she was told.  Now she's proven it's true.  Should be end of story.

« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2018, 04:37:04 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Brad Stevens

Hahaha

Call it pre-election behavior, then.

Warren lied, plagiarized, and has been hypocritical about about capitalism. How much of that is fair game for criticism?

Agreed. But let’s call it pre-election shaming then. It’s all he said/she said in an effort  to make the other person look bad. And, in the grand scheme of things, mostly inconsequential to a candidates actual view points and policies.

Hard to find a politician that doesn’t lie and isn’t disingenuous. It’s all about how much you can tolerate or are willing to accept. Warren using her little bit of Native American heritage to her benefit.... I’d say pretty minor and not of great benefit either.

« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2018, 04:55:52 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Brad Stevens
In a way I miss 2009.

Not the economic collapse, but what political debates were about. Should the country provide healthcare to all Americans and if so how - with what costs and tradeoffs. How could we prevent another financial crisis and pull the country out of the one we were in. These things mattered.

This stuff? it matters only to partisans and politicians who want to distract us.

TP to you sir!
You are completely right. I know almost nothing about Warren other than she is a Democrat and has this whole Native American thing going on....and yet I can’t look away....sad.
And some poster above wants to know more pros and cons about her but wasn’t answered. I’m gonna Give him a TP too.
And TPs to whomever answers his question!

Edit: It’s slamtheking. First page

« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2018, 05:00:58 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith

But, we’re not talking about our fellow partisans. It’s about our own standards. So, I’m adking what your general standards are regarding politicians lying, plagiarizing and being hypocritical. Does that stuff matter? Does it only matter when the other side does it?
Of course it matters to me but when I know all politicians lie, I have to weigh that against the severity of the lie. This lie, to me, is no big deal because Warren was raised to believe she was Native American. 

And just so everyone knows, I didn't vote for Warren. I didn't vote against her but didn't vote for her either. And won't vote for her this election. I do really like Ed Markey though and will vote for him.

« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2018, 05:06:34 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Hard to find a politician that doesn’t lie and isn’t disingenuous

While true, I think we’d all be better if we called people of both parties on this crap. Instead, we tend to explain things away when it’s in our own party’s favor, and condemn it when the other “side” does it.

Not so long ago, being of poor moral character seemed to be an impediment to the Presidency. Bill Clinton “didn’t inhale”. Gary Hart’s career was over because he had an affair. Granted, morality was always pretty selective (Ted Kennedy), but it existed.

Now it’s just “they all lie, they all cheat, so I don’t care”. That just leads us further down our descent as a society.  Nobody cares about values, and we’re willing to accept blatant hypocrisy so long as somebody is on our side of the aisle  (https://www.aol.com/article/news/2018/10/15/major-womens-groups-silent-on-hillary-clintons-abuse-of-power-comments/23561908/).  Maybe it’s time to remember that politicians work for us.

« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2018, 05:06:34 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Brad Stevens

You should answer your own questions. You voted for Trump, correct?

Hello! Guest

Welcome to the CelticsStrong Forums.

Community

Signup to win FREE tickets

* indicates required