Author Topic: Kanye West and the vile art of shouting down opponents  (Read 5107 times)

Re: Kanye West and the vile art of shouting down opponents
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2018, 09:38:23 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27482
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
Funny though that the people who tell LeBron to shut up and dribble, complain about Hollywood stars making political comments and call Kaepernick just a dumb jock have a different opinion about Kanye West.  For the record, the left and right are both hypocrites with stuff like this.

Overall, yes.  Both sides trot out celebrities, who have no greater insight (and often times, less so) than the average person.  Sadly, it just usually shows us that those we look up to — even those who are often thoughtful and genuine — are just as prone to being childish babies as the rest of us. (Here’s looking at you, Stephen King. Great person, very intelligent and nuanced... but when he talks politics, he acts like he’s possessed by hatred.)

But...  It sickens me that attacking people for their race is again becoming an acceptable part of our discourse.  In less than one week, we’ve seen Kanye attacked for his race and for being a sell out (as if all blacks can be reduced to one viewpoint), Susan Collins attacked for her race and for being a sell out (as if all women can be reduced to one viewpoint), and Linsey Graham attacked for allegedly being gay (because gay-shaming is still a thing apparently).

This is unacceptable, in any context.  Unfortunately, it’s largely ignored because leftists are “tolerant”.

And yes, far-right morons use racist language too. The difference is that they’re usually confined to the fringes, whereas CNN, Chelsey Handler, Bill Maher, etc., are mainstream and generally accepted in polite society.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 09:44:08 AM by Roy H. »

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2018, 10:20:13 AM »

Offline Silas

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 14
And yes, far-right morons use racist language too. The difference is that they’re usually confined to the fringes, whereas CNN, Chelsey Handler, Bill Maher, etc., are mainstream and generally accepted in polite society.

Oh yea.  Rush Limbaugh is on the fringe.  A few quotes from Rush a while back...

1. “I mean, let’s face it, we didn’t have slavery in this country for over 100 years because it was a bad thing. Quite the opposite: slavery built the South. I’m not saying we should bring it back; I’m just saying it had its merits. For one thing, the streets were safer after dark.”

2. “You know who deserves a posthumous Medal of Honor? James Earl Ray [the confessed assassin of Martin Luther King]. We miss you, James. Godspeed.”

3. “Have you ever noticed how all composite pictures of wanted criminals resemble Jesse Jackson?”

And by the way Roy, please stop the subtle jab at democrats by referring to them as the Democrat Party...you know that it is the Democratic party.
Never miss the luxury of an unexpressed thought...

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2018, 10:58:30 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 359
I did not listen to the entire discussions but have heard plenty of sounds bites to get the idea.  What was spoken was utter nonsense.  And the criticism is that the reaction to it has not taken it seriously enough?  Or that we need to have a serious political discussion about it?  And that because no one is taking it seriously is a sign of some sort of racial bias?  Wow.

Even on the scale of celebrity political drivel, this was off the charts.  Very few celebrities see their positions taken seriously.  These celebrities have their right to hold and express whatever views they want.  But they have no right to be taken seriously by everyone else.

This was a political stunt by Trump.  It was never intended to be taken seriously.  Anyone has the right to discuss or analyze West's theories in any serious way they want but to me, that is sillier than the extremely silly original theories.

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2018, 11:22:04 AM »

Offline Pucaccia

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 64
Kanye West is obviously a divisive figure.  He's probably not the first guy I'd turn to for political opinions, but neither is Robert DeNiro or Taylor Swift or Jane Fonda.  To be charitable, the celebrities who speak loudest about political issues aren't always the best advocates for the positions they're advancing.

What I don't like is that nobody wants to debate Kanye on ideas, or even address the ideas that Kanye is espousing.  I mean, does he have a point about violence in Chicago?  Does he have a point about how things haven't gotten much better for the poorest of black Americans over the last several decades?  Has the near-total allegiance to the Democrat Party been helpful to African-Americans, or are they instead just used as a voting block?  Do identity politics spring from a genuine desire to help people in certain constituencies, or just to pay lip service to them in order to get elected?

There's lots to be debated there.  Instead, this is what we get from the media:

Quote from: Don Lemon
What I saw was a minstrel show today—him in front of all these white people, mostly white people embarrassing himself and embarrassing Americans but mostly African Americans

Quote from: CNN commentator Bakari Sellers
“Kanye West is what happens when Neg***s don’t read.”

Quote from: CNN commentator Tara Setmayer
"Black folks are about to trade Kanye West in the racial draft, OK .... He’s the token neg** of the Trump administration.”

Is this where we are in 2018?  The thing you attack about Kanye West is...  his race? 

Call the guy incoherent, call him misinformed.  Those may be legitimate points.  Debate him on the merits.  But come on, don't go for racial cheap shots.

For years, the left has been using the term "racist" as a sword against legitimate criticism.  Scarily, that seems to be morphing into an even more radicalized agenda, where one's race is used against him or her as an attack.  In Kanye's case, he's attacked because he's black (except using uglier language).  In Susan Collins' case, prominent leftists attacked her for being a "white woman".  (And let's not even get into all the leftist attacks on Lindsey Graham for allegedly being a closeted homosexual.)

The trend recently has been to "shout down" opposing speech, rather than addressing it thoughtfully.  By bringing race into it, that ramps that up even further.  How the hell is this okay?

Thank you for posting this.  It's not OK.  When someone is losing the debate, they use slander as a tool.  The playbook is predictable:, how dare you use facts you must be a racist or your part of the "Alt right outlets".  The liberal left seems terrified that a black man would go against the monopoly that the democrats think they have on African Americans.  How dare a black man speak his mind.  When Kanye West said "George Bush doesn't care about black people" he was held in such high esteem by the dems and the media.  Now he is a "Minstrel Show".
I was appalled at CNN talking about him as being a "negro that doesn't read" and  "token negro" can you imagine what would happen if any conservative  said that?
How dare a black person take a different approach and talk about "not being a victim". 
If Democrats lose some of the black vote, they know they are screwed.

It really is an attempt at political slavery.

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2018, 11:28:30 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 116
Funny though that the people who tell LeBron to shut up and dribble, complain about Hollywood stars making political comments and call Kaepernick just a dumb jock have a different opinion about Kanye West.  For the record, the left and right are both hypocrites with stuff like this.

Overall, yes.  Both sides trot out celebrities, who have no greater insight (and often times, less so) than the average person.  Sadly, it just usually shows us that those we look up to — even those who are often thoughtful and genuine — are just as prone to being childish babies as the rest of us. (Here’s looking at you, Stephen King. Great person, very intelligent and nuanced... but when he talks politics, he acts like he’s possessed by hatred.)

But...  It sickens me that attacking people for their race is again becoming an acceptable part of our discourse.  In less than one week, we’ve seen Kanye attacked for his race and for being a sell out (as if all blacks can be reduced to one viewpoint), Susan Collins attacked for her race and for being a sell out (as if all women can be reduced to one viewpoint), and Linsey Graham attacked for allegedly being gay (because gay-shaming is still a thing apparently).

This is unacceptable, in any context.  Unfortunately, it’s largely ignored because leftists are “tolerant”.

Well except for the one that got elected president. But otherwise yes there is "violence on both sides" for lack of a better phrase.

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2018, 11:41:51 AM »

Offline td450

• Kyrie Irving
  • Tommy Points: 93

There are several 24/7 cable news channels and hundreds of other media outlets commenting all day. I think you need to turn down your sensitivity knob a few clicks. In the current environment, every possible take is expressed. Every conceivable sensibility, no matter which one you have, is insulted multiple times by someone with a national profile, every day, all day.

It is unhealthy to throw it all together into a single pot and declare it all very unfair. Its like saying its always happy hour somewhere. Just stop drinking.

We live in a different world. It lets us discuss basketball with thousands of strangers any time we want, and it also means we hear 365 degrees of Kanye or Trump or Taylor Swift every day too. We need to deal with it.

I do think its cool to discuss any of the issues of the day we want to. But we do need to check the outrage at the door and just talk.

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2018, 11:53:12 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1192
So Don Lemon is laughing at Kanye for being "A negro that doesn't read"......

Is this the same Don Lemon that thought the missing airplane flight 370 flew into a black hole?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpVd7k1Uw6A

This guy is clearly a genius🤣

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2018, 11:55:42 AM »

Online heyvik

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
Kanye West is obviously a divisive figure.  He's probably not the first guy I'd turn to for political opinions, but neither is Robert DeNiro or Taylor Swift or Jane Fonda.  To be charitable, the celebrities who speak loudest about political issues aren't always the best advocates for the positions they're advancing.

What I don't like is that nobody wants to debate Kanye on ideas, or even address the ideas that Kanye is espousing.  I mean, does he have a point about violence in Chicago?  Does he have a point about how things haven't gotten much better for the poorest of black Americans over the last several decades?  Has the near-total allegiance to the Democrat Party been helpful to African-Americans, or are they instead just used as a voting block?  Do identity politics spring from a genuine desire to help people in certain constituencies, or just to pay lip service to them in order to get elected?

What I saw was a minstrel show today—him in front of all these white people, mostly white people embarrassing himself and embarrassing Americans but mostly African Americans

"Black folks are about to trade Kanye West in the racial draft, OK .... He’s the token neg** of the Trump administration.”

Is this where we are in 2018?  The thing you attack about Kanye West is...  his race? 

Call the guy incoherent, call him misinformed.  Those may be legitimate points.  Debate him on the merits.  But come on, don't go for racial cheap shots.

For years, the left has been using the term "racist" as a sword against legitimate criticism.  Scarily, that seems to be morphing into an even more radicalized agenda, where one's race is used against him or her as an attack.  In Kanye's case, he's attacked because he's black (except using uglier language).  In Susan Collins' case, prominent leftists attacked her for being a "white woman".  (And let's not even get into all the leftist attacks on Lindsey Graham for allegedly being a closeted homosexual.)

The trend recently has been to "shout down" opposing speech, rather than addressing it thoughtfully.  By bringing race into it, that ramps that up even further.  How the hell is this okay?

Thank you for posting this.  It's not OK.  When someone is losing the debate, they use slander as a tool.  The playbook is predictable:, how dare you use facts you must be a racist or your part of the "Alt right outlets".  The liberal left seems terrified that a black man would go against the monopoly that the democrats think they have on African Americans.  How dare a black man speak his mind.  When Kanye West said "George Bush doesn't care about black people" he was held in such high esteem by the dems and the media.  Now he is a "Minstrel Show".
I was appalled at CNN talking about him as being a "negro that doesn't read" and  "token negro" can you imagine what would happen if any conservative  said that?
How dare a black person take a different approach and talk about "not being a victim". 

Per Kanye West -
Kanye West actually say:
“Sometimes people write novels and they just be so wordy and so
self-absorbed. I am not a fan of books. I would never want a book’s
autograph. I am a proud non-reader of books.”

as an AA, I have voted Republican in a number of elections. I am no longer Republican. I am a democrat who is socially conservative. There are EGREGIOUS things that the Republican party has done that has completely turned me off. I can get over words and statements, but there are things - gerrymandering, suppressing voters in N. Dakota, Georgia and Alabama, among other things that have turned me off.
Now onto Kanye, IMO, what he did yesterday was a joke. The only thing that he talked about was working on crime in Chicago (he is against stop and frisk). All the other jibberish was about him as an investor, him and bi-polarism, him and his Kardashian family..

What AA's are really saying to Kanye is You had a platform to speak about REAL things and YOU DIDN'T DO IT! - you made it all about you.

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2018, 11:58:26 AM »

Online heyvik

• Bill Walton

Is this the same Don Lemon that thought the missing airplane flight 370 flew into a black hole?

Kanye West 2/13/15 -
Kanye West actually say:
ANYONE who doesn't read books is someone who doesn't want to learn. That person is relying on their own knowledge and past experiences to guide them, which is VERY dangerous.

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2018, 12:02:32 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1192

Kanye West 2/13/15 -
Kanye West actually say:
ANYONE who doesn't read books is someone who doesn't want to learn. That person is relying on their own knowledge and past experiences to guide them, which is VERY dangerous.

Audio books, Documentaries, podcast, conversations, etc.....

So are dyslexic and blind people automatically dumb?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 01:10:07 PM by rondohondo »

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2018, 12:05:05 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

There are several 24/7 cable news channels and hundreds of other media outlets commenting all day. I think you need to turn down your sensitivity knob a few clicks. In the current environment, every possible take is expressed. Every conceivable sensibility, no matter which one you have, is insulted multiple times by someone with a national profile, every day, all day.

It is unhealthy to throw it all together into a single pot and declare it all very unfair. Its like saying its always happy hour somewhere. Just stop drinking.

We live in a different world. It lets us discuss basketball with thousands of strangers any time we want, and it also means we hear 365 degrees of Kanye or Trump or Taylor Swift every day too. We need to deal with it.

I do think its cool to discuss any of the issues of the day we want to. But we do need to check the outrage at the door and just talk.

To be clear, we’re not talking about some random thing said on some random cable channel. Rather, we’re discussing racial slurs on CNN. If our sensitivity monitors find that acceptable, I think that means we’ve turned our monitors off completely.

Or, maybe I give CNN too much credit. They did reach out to Ray Jay for opinion, which seems totally appropriate and newsworthy.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 12:16:38 PM by Roy H. »

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2018, 12:11:57 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Per Kanye West -
Kanye West actually say:

as an AA, I have voted Republican in a number of elections. I am no longer Republican. I am a democrat who is socially conservative. There are EGREGIOUS things that the Republican party has done that has completely turned me off. I can get over words and statements, but there are things - gerrymandering, suppressing voters in N. Dakota, Georgia and Alabama, among other things that have turned me off.
Now onto Kanye, IMO, what he did yesterday was a joke. The only thing that he talked about was working on crime in Chicago (he is against stop and frisk). All the other jibberish was about him as an investor, him and bi-polarism, him and his Kardashian family..

What AA's are really saying to Kanye is You had a platform to speak about REAL things and YOU DIDN'T DO IT! - you made it all about you.

And, those are all fair things to be critical of.

But, is it cool to call him a version of the N-word and say he’s in a minstrel show?  Especially when it is not a conversation between a few people who know each other, but rather a criticism being podcast to a majority white audience?

You obviously have a different perspective on this, as I come to it as a white conservative. From the outside, though, the use of racial slurs seems to make it denigrating and dehumanizing  to me.

As an aside, I totally understand why you feel abandoned by Republicans. Do you feel there’s a place for you with the Democrats as a social conservative?  I’ve mentioned before, but one of the reasons I rarely cross the aisle is because most Democrat politicians don’t share some of my values. I look at the DNC and their policies become more and more akin to litmus tests. Have you been able to find candidates who appeal to you both as social conservatives, but who also embrace your more traditional Democrat values?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 12:24:48 PM by Roy H. »

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2018, 12:31:15 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Oh yea.  Rush Limbaugh is on the fringe.  A few quotes from Rush a while back...

1. “I mean, let’s face it, we didn’t have slavery in this country for over 100 years because it was a bad thing. Quite the opposite: slavery built the South. I’m not saying we should bring it back; I’m just saying it had its merits. For one thing, the streets were safer after dark.”

2. “You know who deserves a posthumous Medal of Honor? James Earl Ray [the confessed assassin of Martin Luther King]. We miss you, James. Godspeed.”

3. “Have you ever noticed how all composite pictures of wanted criminals resemble Jesse Jackson?”

And by the way Roy, please stop the subtle jab at democrats by referring to them as the Democrat Party...you know that it is the Democratic party.

I don’t listen to Rush very much at all, but:

1. He’s certainly not accepted by the “mainstream” at this point; and

2. At least some of the quotes you’re claiming are pure fiction. Like, as fictional as a Julie Swetnick smear.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fivethirtyeight.com/features/in-defense-of-rush-limbaugh/amp/

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2018, 01:45:12 PM »

Online heyvik

• Bill Walton

Per Kanye West -
Kanye West actually say:

And, those are all fair things to be critical of.

But, is it cool to call him a version of the N-word and say he’s in a minstrel show?  Especially when it is not a conversation between a few people who know each other, but rather a criticism being podcast to a majority white audience?

You obviously have a different perspective on this, as I come to it as a white conservative. From the outside, though, the use of racial slurs seems to make it denigrating and dehumanizing  to me.

As an aside, I totally understand why you feel abandoned by Republicans. Do you feel there’s a place for you with the Democrats as a social conservative?  I’ve mentioned before, but one of the reasons I rarely cross the aisle is because most Democrat politicians don’t share some of my values. I look at the DNC and their policies become more and more akin to litmus tests. Have you been able to find candidates who appeal to you both as social conservatives, but who also embrace your more traditional Democrat values?
@Roy - It is not correct. it just should not have been used  and I didn't watch the segment but there is a HUGE difference between the use of the word Negr* and N****.

There ISN'T a place for me as a social conservative and there isn't a candidate that appeals to me in this way. I will vote that way though in my local and state elections.
What most Republican don't really understand is that MOST AA's are socially conservatives. AAs who attend church regularly are this way inherently from an influence of past generations.
To get the AA vote, Republicans can start with opening up AND listening to discussions institutional racism, prison reform and viable healthcare options. All of which would be a great start.

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2018, 02:05:43 PM »

Online nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 5862
Horrid remarks by CNN and clearly race baiting. I don't care what Kanye said, describing him the way CNN did is disgusting.

Everyone should decry the words used by Lemon and CNN in describing Kanye. Ending racism isn't a white or black thing, a left or right thing, it's an American thing and we should all condemn racism when it rears it's ugly head.

And the whataboutism doesn't help. I see a lot of liberals telling conservatives on this site to not use whataboutism when defending Trump. Well, liberals shouldn't do the same thing to defend the words spoken about Kanye.

Personally, I find Kanye to be an idiot. The 2009 VMAs, marrying into that ridiculous immoral, egotistical, narcissitic, fame seeking family, claiming racism is dead but using the "n" word extensively in his work but saying white people shouldn't use the "n" word and his many incoherent public ramblings are just a few samples of why I think the guy a moron.

Hello! Guest

Welcome to the CelticsStrong Forums.

Community

Signup to win FREE tickets

* indicates required