Author Topic: Nikki Haley resigns  (Read 3559 times)

Re: Nikki Haley resigns
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2018, 11:35:54 PM »

Offline blink

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 535
Anyway, on the original topic, there's speculation Haley is resigning to take over Lindsey Graham's Senate seat should he get that Attorney General job he seems to have been gunning for. Would probably happen shortly after the midterms. In any event she's almost certainly got her next step planned here.
I hadn't considered this but it did appear that Graham was gunning for cabinet position -- likely Sessions replacement after the mid-terms.  Haley taking Graham's spot in the Senate seems very plausible.

It's plausible, but I don't quite get it for Graham.  Realistically, he probably has a lifetime position as Senator.  Why throw that away for possibly a two year gig in the Cabinet?  What's the endgame?
Yeah, I don't get it either but he did go way out of his way to support Trump and Kavanaugh even though he has been one of the more critical Senators of Trump over the last year and a half. Maybe his endgame is to be Trump's running partner in 2020 as Trump jettisons Pence, maybe because Trump thinks Pence wrote the NYT op-ed. Just speculation but, it makes a little sense.

I don't know, either way Graham is risking a lot.  He probably gets re elected to the senate over and over again.  Why would anyone want in as the AG after Trump fires Sessions?  With Mueller breathing down the administration's neck (and rightly so) whomever is in that AG position is going to wish they hadn't after they take the job.  Lobbying to be the next VP candidate with Trump in 2020 is just as silly.  At this point it would take literally the worst candidate to get beat by Trump.  Trumps approval numbers are in the toilet and have been literally his whole term. 

I would think maintaining your career as a Senator from SC is way better than those two risky options.  Why anyone wants to work with Trump I don't know.  Literallly his whole cabinet has been fired or quit within less than 2 years.

Lets really hope Nikki Haley decides to go against the grain and run against Trump. 
who knows what's running through Graham's mind?  I would think that IF Graham is indeed auditioning for a cabinet position (if not AG) it's with an eye to succeed Trump as the next Republican candidate for POTUS.  he hasn't gotten the traction for the nomination as just a senator so far.

As a moderate Dem, Graham's flip flopping on Trump and especially the about firing of Sessions kind of turns my stomach.  Graham had seemed like a responsible check on Trump's stupidity and Graham at one point was a moderate bridge builder-gang of 8 type, but in the last few months he somehow morphed into some kind of extreme right wing ballyhoo. 

I would rather see Haley or Kasich versus some yet to be determined more moderate democrat in 2020.  Hopefully both parties can resist the pull to the fringes and we can have more reasonable and dare I say competent representation in the 2020 white house campaign.  (oh who am I kidding that will never happen..lol)

« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2018, 11:56:33 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 449
I just got blind texted at 10pm MST by someone in my county to vote for a Democrat in next election..that is crazy and guarantees I vote the other person..gonna let social have fun with this invasion of my privacy..so unreal

« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2018, 01:16:14 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 644
Lol.

Press: "Nikki, you've been working under this Turdburger for 2 years. He's constantly undermining you and making you walk back statements because he directly contradicts things you say sometimes literally hours after you say it. Can you give us some kind of idea why you're leaving now?"

NH: "It was this story about curtains from the New York Times. It was just too much to bear. The story about curtains is the reason I am no longer the UN Ambassador."

Working for Trump no doubt sucks.  But, getting smeared in the press and every liberal blog -- based on fake news -- sucks too.

Good Lord. If she can't handle that she needs to get out of the game. We had to endure years of Benghazi! and Birtherism under Obama. If some nonsense about curtains got her feeling blue she's in the wrong business. Maybe she's too soft?

« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2018, 02:40:22 AM »

Offline blink

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 535
Lol.

Press: "Nikki, you've been working under this Turdburger for 2 years. He's constantly undermining you and making you walk back statements because he directly contradicts things you say sometimes literally hours after you say it. Can you give us some kind of idea why you're leaving now?"

NH: "It was this story about curtains from the New York Times. It was just too much to bear. The story about curtains is the reason I am no longer the UN Ambassador."

Working for Trump no doubt sucks.  But, getting smeared in the press and every liberal blog -- based on fake news -- sucks too.

Good Lord. If she can't handle that she needs to get out of the game. We had to endure years of Benghazi! and Birtherism under Obama. If some nonsense about curtains got her feeling blue she's in the wrong business. Maybe she's too soft?

I agree with you, if that is the reason you are getting out, then find another career.  But I personally don't think she is soft, and I don't think that had anything to do with the resignation.  There are likely a lot of other things at play.

Lord help us if Trump nominates Ivanka or Jared....

« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2018, 06:13:47 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27480
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
Lol.

That’s such a sad perspective. When the press makes an unfair attack, blame the victim.   But, I guess I’m not surprised that you buy into it, since at least one party has acknowledged the “tactic”:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gv0anqwjFk4

If somebody wanted to get away from that atmosphere, they’re not “soft”. Rather, they’re sane.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2018, 08:02:44 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1117
I saw an interview that she feels she needs to stepdown because she has been in government for eight years, and was initially passionate and they need to get someone who has that passion again.   So sounds like burn out to me.

« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2018, 09:44:27 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27480
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
I saw an interview that she feels she needs to stepdown because she has been in government for eight years, and was initially passionate and they need to get someone who has that passion again.   So sounds like burn out to me.

Odd. I would have framed it different, just because “I’ve lost my passion” doesn’t play well in future elections.

Were those her words or somebody else’s?

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2018, 12:40:22 PM »

Offline FatKidsDad

• Gordon Hayward
  • Tommy Points: 111

Odd. I would have framed it different, just because “I’ve lost my passion” doesn’t play well in future elections.

Were those her words or somebody else’s?
I saw the same interview and I got a different impression from it.

She did indeed talk about having spent 8 years in public service and the need to bring passion to the table, but it didn't seem like she was implying she no longer had the passion.

She also talked about her long-held belief in term limits and the benefit to government of bringing in fresh viewpoints of other passionate people. More like self-imposed term limits and a let-the-other-kids-have-turn vibe.

As plausible and acceptable an expalination that is, I have to wonder whether it was simply a matter of bailing before the poop hits the air circulator.
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton

"Live so that when your children think of fairness and integrity,they think of you." -   H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2018, 12:49:25 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 644
Lol.

I agree with you, if that is the reason you are getting out, then find another career.  But I personally don't think she is soft, and I don't think that had anything to do with the resignation.  There are likely a lot of other things at play.

Lord help us if Trump nominates Ivanka or Jared....

Of course it's not why she's getting out, I was just having a chuckle that this nonsense about curtains somehow spooked poor Nikki into taking her ball and going home. That's just crocodile tears from the Right, trying to pass the buck instead of taking responsibility for the lunatic they elected to the most powerful office in the world.

Haley is getting out to preserve her political ambitions and to get away from Trump. IMO it's a wise decision for her career, not so good for the country, as she is arguably one of the few somewhat sane individuals in the administration.

« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2018, 02:23:37 PM »

Offline Moranis

• Global Moderator
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 985
If the long held rumors about Graham are true, there is no way the Republicans would put him up as a VP or Pres. candidate.  None at all.  He won't sell to the base and if true, they would absolutely come out in a national election (pun intended). 

« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2018, 03:28:55 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 1107
  • What a Pub Should Be
If the long held rumors about Graham are true, there is no way the Republicans would put him up as a VP or Pres. candidate.  None at all.  He won't sell to the base and if true, they would absolutely come out in a national election (pun intended).

I can't imagine there is much, if any, national appeal to Lindsay Graham.  I also can't imagine his grandstanding during the Kavanaugh hearings would play well to a good segment of women voters, either.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2018, 08:08:58 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• JoJo White
As a moderate Dem, Graham's flip flopping on Trump and especially the about firing of Sessions kind of turns my stomach.  Graham had seemed like a responsible check on Trump's stupidity and Graham at one point was a moderate bridge builder-gang of 8 type, but in the last few months he somehow morphed into some kind of extreme right wing ballyhoo. 

I wonder how you feel about Eric Holder's comments this week?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2018/10/10/eric-holder-says-michelle-obama-wrong-when-they-go-low-we-kick-them/1593189002/

Between this and Hillary's comments about

https://www.weeklystandard.com/the-editors/hillary-clinton-attacks-republicans-defends-incivility

This is the kind of stuff, that makes this independent's stomach turn.   Flip Flopping shows lack of integrity but inciting civil violence is much more worse.  I did not care for it, when Trump did it during the election either.

I can't imagine there is much, if any, national appeal to Lindsay Graham.  I also can't imagine his grandstanding during the Kavanaugh hearings would play well to a good segment of women voters, either.

Interesting poll numbers
Kavanaugh’s net support drops 18 points among Republican women, with 49% thinking he should be confirmed and 15% in opposition.

When it comes to Trump, net support among the same group fell 19 points, with 68% approving and 26% disapproving.

https://morningconsult.com/2018/09/26/republican-women-lose-faith-kavanaugh-trump-after-week-accusations/

It definitely hurts the GOP to some degree.

Graham has never been a popular senator.

https://www.thestate.com/news/politics-government/politics-columns-blogs/the-buzz/article143901324.html

Those who viewed his as check on Trump, who not vote for him.  And those who support President Trump, thought he was attacking their man.

She did indeed talk about having spent 8 years in public service and the need to bring passion to the table, but it didn't seem like she was implying she no longer had the passion.

She also talked about her long-held belief in term limits and the benefit to government of bringing in fresh viewpoints of other passionate people. More like self-imposed term limits and a let-the-other-kids-have-turn vibe.

As plausible and acceptable an expalination that is, I have to wonder whether it was simply a matter of bailing before the poop hits the air circulator.

I disagree, of course because of this reason, she said that they need a person in that position with energy.   This implies that she was getting burned out.

As for the Crap hitting the fan, this just shows your bias, and folks have been hoping that it will from day one of the Pres. Trump presidency.    I am an independent and I have voted for both parties over the years, I vote for who is best.   But I never hope for the president to fail, because they are the executive of America.   I was in the service and served under Bush Sr. and Bill Clinton, those of us in the service serve both commanders in chief and have to put partisanship aside.

I think Political Parties, yes, both of them will kill America as we know it.  George Washington warned of this years ago and he was spot on.

"However [political parties] may now and then answer popular ends, they are likely in the course of time and things, to become potent engines, by which cunning, ambitious, and unprincipled men will be enabled to subvert the power of the people and to usurp for themselves the reins of government, destroying afterwards the very engines which have lifted them to unjust dominion."

GEORGE WASHINGTON FAREWELL ADDRESS   | SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 17, 1796

https://www.mountvernon.org/library/digitalhistory/quotes/article/however-political-parties-may-now-and-then-answer-popular-ends-they-are-likely-in-the-course-of-time-and-things-to-become-potent-engines-by-which-cunning-ambitious-and-unprincipled-men-will-be-enabled-to-subvert-the-power-of-the-people-and-to-usurp-for-th/

Now some will dismiss him because he was a man of his time and owned slaves but these words have never rang truer.

« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2018, 12:17:31 PM »

Offline FatKidsDad

• Gordon Hayward
  • Tommy Points: 111

I disagree, of course because of this reason, she said that they need a person in that position with energy.   This implies that she was getting burned out.

As for the Crap hitting the fan, this just shows your bias, and folks have been hoping that it will from day one of the Pres. Trump presidency.    I am an independent and I have voted for both parties over the years, I vote for who is best.   But I never hope for the president to fail, because they are the executive of America.   I was in the service and served under Bush Sr. and Bill Clinton, those of us in the service serve both commanders in chief and have to put partisanship aside.
As I said, I got an impression from the interview. You got a different impression, which is fine.

As for my so-called bias, I am not advocating or hoping for a crap/fan moment. I am simply observing that based on the Mueller investigation, the possibility that a Dem congress will gain power and other events and trends, it looks likely to me that things will be getting rougher for this administration.

I, like you, am an independent who has voted for both parties. I, like you, want our president to succeed. I also served under two presidents (Carter and Reagan). I could not put partisanship aside in serving my Commander in Chief, because I was not and am not partisan.

Please be careful in slinging labels like "bias" and "partisanship" lest you expose your own.
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton

"Live so that when your children think of fairness and integrity,they think of you." -   H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2018, 06:08:09 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• JoJo White
As for my so-called bias, I am not advocating or hoping for a crap/fan moment. I am simply observing that based on the Mueller investigation, the possibility that a Dem congress will gain power and other events and trends, it looks likely to me that things will be getting rougher for this administration.

Congress control is a big if.   I like the Dems chances in house, but I predict they lose Senate Seats.

Hello! Guest

Welcome to the CelticsStrong Forums.

Community

Signup to win FREE tickets

* indicates required