Author Topic: Celtics Rankings in ESPN & SI’s ‘Top 100’ revealed  (Read 2208 times)

Re: Celtics Rankings in ESPN & SI’s ‘Top 100’ revealed
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2018, 08:58:32 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
CBS also did one, for what it's worth (not much):

84. Terry Rozier
73. Marcus Smart
42. Jaylen Brown
33. Jayson Tatum
24. Gordon Hayward
21. Al Horford
12. Kyrie Irving
33 for JT seems a bit high. I’m not sure that you can say 2017-2018 JT is better than Brown, based on anything besides efficiency.

Kyrie at 12 seems a little high. I’d probably have him at 15 or so

This is a ranking for next season, though. They must be expecting Tatum to improve more than Jaylen (which isn't too ridiculous)

We as Celtics fans know that Brown is better than most people think and that Tatum, while really good, is probably a little over-hyped.  It is not surprising that the national impression is that Tatum is better than Brown (or will be better next season).  I think they both are going to be really good.

If you told me that one of them will be an all star next season, and I had to guess which one, I honestly don't know who I would pick. I'm really, really happy to have both!

I think Tatum will continue to get more of the mainstream hype (such as all star votes) as he will probably score more points and make more 3's but Jaylen has a little Marcus Smart in him.  He is stronger now than Tatum may ever be and will do more of the non-stat sheet things like Smart.  Both of these players are so young that everything is a projection.  It is impossible to know which of these will continue to progress the most.  The floors that they have each established for themselves is pretty high already though.

Re: Celtics Rankings in ESPN & SI’s ‘Top 100’ revealed
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2018, 10:27:02 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Billy Jackson's rankings revealed:

11 - Kyrie
18 - Al Horford
22 - Gordon Hayward
41 - Jayson Tatum
56 - Jaylen Brown
61 - Marcus Smart
80 - Terry Rozier

Other former celtic notables:
48 - IT (there is nobody else below him who could ever do what he's proven capable of doing in the right setting)
54 - Avery Bradley (maybe I overrate him, but I love what he does and think he's underrated)
Close but missed the cut - Rondo, Olynyk, Crowder
Amazed at IT's ranking. What he showed in '17-'18 was definitely not top 50 material, especially when compared to the likes of TRoz and Rondo, who he was considerably inferior to.

If he can return to form, sure, but I am very dubious about that. Especially on a guard-stacked Nuggets roster

I think 48 reflects him not returning to form.  He would have been top 25 twelve months ago.  I don't think he's completely dropped off and what we saw last year was more situations than ability.  Also, I don't think he will resurge to MVP consideration in Denver, but that again is situation rather than ability.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur