Author Topic: Celtics Memories of games attended in Person  (Read 13808 times)

Re: Celtics Memories of games attended in Person
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2018, 12:20:53 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
1974 Finals game 6 vs Bucks...Jabbar skyhook double OT
1976 Triple OT Finals vs Phoenix
1984 Game 7 Finals vs Lakers
1962? Finals vs Lakers....Baylor scores 62 or 63....Celtics win

Pack it up we've got a winner.  (don't pack it up)

Big TP, what a set of experiences.  Any non "big" games that were especially memorable

Can we get a thread where we can ask this guy anything? A Reddit style AMA?

Oh god I miss "Ask Edgar"
Single greatest thread in Celticblog history

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2018, 01:58:37 AM »

Offline Billz401

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 101
  • B's Up
Celtics win in OT vs clippers 2 years ago when IT went off.
Game 2 against bucks this past playoffs. It was absolutely bananas in there
everyone got so sensitive after 9-11... thanks alot bin laden

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2018, 03:10:08 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
My only Celtic game in person ever was Feb 26, 2011 versus Clippers at Staples Center in LA

C's won the game, but it was kind of a downer because Perk had just been traded a couple days before.  I didn't know much about Jeff Green and even less about Nenad Krstic who started.

Pretty good seats, and there were quite a few other Celtic fans there.  Hopefully someday I can get to see a game in Boston.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfIfX-UH2iM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkcsZ4yQcGI

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2019, 01:19:06 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
Living here in Knoxville - my best place to see the Celts has always been Atlanta. I went there twice in the 70's, one game I went courtside afterwards and met Johnny Most. My BEST Celtic memory. Also went several times in the 80's.

My one game in Boston was the old Garden, Easter Sunday 1985 vs Knicks. Ernie Grunfeld (former Vol) got me tickets.
What an experience. It was beautiful - All about the basketball back then - no screaming PA, no loud music, no dance team.
And the Celtics run out for layup lines with the simple intro, "Ladies & Gentleman, Your World Champion Boston Celtics".
Gave me chills.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2019, 01:21:22 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
1974 Finals game 6 vs Bucks...Jabbar skyhook double OT
1976 Triple OT Finals vs Phoenix
1984 Game 7 Finals vs Lakers
1962? Finals vs Lakers....Baylor scores 62 or 63....Celtics win

Who are you, Red Auerbach or Johnny Most ?
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2019, 10:11:52 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Forgot to mention Bird's steal and pass to DJ to neat Detroit in the east dinals

Non big game memory....birth of my son Redz

Who was home watching on TV  :o

(The games, not the birth -  I had a good view of that one)
Never realized your father was on Celticsblog as well! This is so cool lol, not to mention that he's a real hardcore Celtics fan!
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2019, 10:28:52 AM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
My first game I remember was against the Grizzlies in 2011, I was sitting in the Halo seats as part of a college alumni event. Been to a lot of games since. Top ones are:

KG's last night in the Garden. He didn't play but he danced to Gino time.

Smart's coming out game as a rookie against the Wizards. Somehow got free court side seats from someone my sister worked for. Pierce was on the Wizards that year and Rondo D'd him up right in front of me for the steal and come back win.

Pierce's last night in the Garden. Watching him drill that 3 to end the game. May have shed a tear...

Getting wrecked by the Cavs but it not really mattering because we were raising #34 to the rafters.

Last year's Golden State game and watching Brown go off. 

This year's Christmas game. It's always been on the bucket list to see the C's play on Christmas and to see them get an OT win over Philly was unreal.

« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2019, 10:45:16 AM »

Offline daddytxus

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 3
My first time at the Garden was in April 2016. I live in SD so I went to Boston to run the Boston marathon but I took a whole week prior to the race to know the city and, of course, go to a Celtics game. I have been a Celtics fan since the 80s (back then I lived in Spain) so for me going to the Garden was as big of a moment as the Boston Marathon. I remember that we were playing for play off seeding and playing the Miami Heat, also in the play off race with us. We were down 26 points at the Half. It was the night we were honoring the Champion Teams from the 60s, 70s and 86... Bill Russel, Bill Walton, Kevin McHale  and many other Boston legends were there in the building...You could feel that something special was coming...The garden was rocking in the second half and we came back and won the game. I was an incredible experience!! IT4 was the king of the 4th, we were a bunch of underdogs but a fun team to root for!

« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2019, 07:45:31 PM »

Offline zeitgeist49

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 19
I wlll always remember seeing Havlicek score 54 on the Hawks on April 1,1973 in the old Garden. Hondo was especially clutch in the playoffs.

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2019, 11:42:33 PM »

Offline PistolPete

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 7
I went to 9 or 10 Celtics games in Atlanta during the 80’s. The most memorable one was round 2 of the 1986 playoffs. Bird had 28 and missed a triple double by one rebound. Dominique had 38. I also went to a playoff game at the Omni in 83 that Atlanta won by 2 to tie the series(3 game series).
I saw the 2008 team play in Charlotte. Down 2 with 4.7 seconds left, Charlotte was inbounding the ball, Eddie House poked it to Pierce, who threw it to Ray Allen. Allen hit a three to end the game, and Big Baby carried him off the court.
One of these days I’m going to make it to Boston for a game.

« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2019, 11:50:19 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
Oh man, I’ve been fortunate to go to some great games. Other than my first game (a game 82 loss to Milwaukee), every one I’ve been to had something historic happen. I’ve seen Porzingis’s TD Garden debut during the preseason (I made a post about how tall and good he was), the Jordan Crawford triple-double (which also featured Brandon Bass’s either first or second career three), IT’s 53 point masterpiece against the Wizards, the 2018 game 1 against Philly (when Terry and I believe Tatum went off), and Hayward’s 30-something point game versus the Timberwolves. My mom and brother also got to go to their first game to see Trae Young’s first game at TD. So many great memories, and most of them were thanks to CB members selling tickets for affordable prices!

« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2019, 12:14:40 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Three top memories:
#1 - Game 6 of the '08 finals.  KG put back (throw in) and1 was electric.  I can't believe I didn't go tumbling down all the rows of the balcony I was jumping so much that game.
#2 - Game 7 of Cavs series in '08.  Never that postseason was there ever such a possibility we could lose a series.  You just had no clue how the game would turn out.  The Pierce jump ball was an unforgettable moment.
#3 - Game 1 of the '08 finals.  When Pierce went down, my stomach just sank.  I thought the run was over.  Then when the random cheering happened, you just knew to look to the tunnel and there he was.  Tingles were shot through my whole body.

I have one random poor memory that will never go away -- December 19, 2007 -- Celtics v. Pistons.
Celtics had started out the 07-08 campaign undefeated at home, something like 12-0 or 13-0 so far.  We were losing, but fought back to tie the game and Detroit called timeout about to inbound with under 2 sec in regulation.  I said to myself, "No way they score in this final 1 second and I've gotta pee.  I'm gonna beat the crowd before the OT break."  I'm walking through the concourse and I hear the sighs of disgust from the crowd.  I look up at the TV in the concourse and I see Tony Allen bite a stupid jumpshot upfake and foul Chauncey Billups with 0.1 seconds left sending him to the free throw line to end the game.  I hated Tony after that play, but eventually came around to love him.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2019, 12:42:50 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
As teenagers we drove down to New York and the old MSG in 1967 for game 4 of a best 3 of 5 between the Celtics and Knicks. The legendary Celtics guard Sam Jones was unconscious that night and scored 51 points as the Celtics won the series 3-1. Unfortunately, they lost in the next round to a great Sixers team. The Sixers were so loaded that year with Wilt, Hal Greer, Chet Walker, Billy Cunningham, and Luke Jackson. They went 68-13 that regular season and won the title easily. The Celtics did get revenge the next year and came back from a 3-1 deficit to beat Philly 4-3 and eventually win the title.

Box score: https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/196703280NYK.html

« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2019, 12:56:09 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
I attended my first Celtics game in the 1969-70 season vs the Chicago Bulls.  I was 6 years old.  I've been to lots over the years and still go.  Here's one of the most memorable - 1995, vs the Timberwolves.

Todd Day, in my opinion was one of the worst Celtics ever - I could not STAND his game, much the way Rozier ticked so many of us off last season.  The guy would clank shot after shot - and never pass.  Think a lousy version of Marcus Morris....

That particular edition of the Celtics stunk.  But Day came off the bench and scored a career high 41 points - which may be the most shocking Celtics performance I've ever seen - in person or otherwise.  My buddy and I were stunned and we kept saying - Todd F---g Day going off - who'da thunk...lol

What I also remember about that game, was a skinny, 18 year old Kevin Garnett getting a few minutes off the bench for Minnesota, and looking pretty good.  That was his rookie season.  I remember thinking at the time that this guy was supposedly going to be a stud, but was just getting his feet wet in the league and was just a beanpole.  It was pretty cool to see him get in for a few minutes.  I looked up the box score from that one and he ended up scoring 17 that night, which was a lot more than I thought.

For some reason, that game sticks out.

« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2019, 09:00:42 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
I attended my first Celtics game in the 1969-70 season vs the Chicago Bulls.  I was 6 years old.  I've been to lots over the years and still go.  Here's one of the most memorable - 1995, vs the Timberwolves.

Todd Day, in my opinion was one of the worst Celtics ever - I could not STAND his game, much the way Rozier ticked so many of us off last season.  The guy would clank shot after shot - and never pass.  Think a lousy version of Marcus Morris....

That particular edition of the Celtics stunk.  But Day came off the bench and scored a career high 41 points - which may be the most shocking Celtics performance I've ever seen - in person or otherwise.  My buddy and I were stunned and we kept saying - Todd F---g Day going off - who'da thunk...lol

What I also remember about that game, was a skinny, 18 year old Kevin Garnett getting a few minutes off the bench for Minnesota, and looking pretty good.  That was his rookie season.  I remember thinking at the time that this guy was supposedly going to be a stud, but was just getting his feet wet in the league and was just a beanpole.  It was pretty cool to see him get in for a few minutes.  I looked up the box score from that one and he ended up scoring 17 that night, which was a lot more than I thought.

For some reason, that game sticks out.

TP, I remember watching that Todd Day game on TV and being just as stunned.  it was a fun highlight in an otherwise awful season.