Author Topic: Paul Manafort bank and tax fraud trial  (Read 8927 times)

Re: Paul Manafort bank and tax fraud trial
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2018, 07:08:27 PM »

Offline Greenback

• NCE
  • Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 57
  • Take away love and the earth is a tomb. ~ Browning
Maybe convicting Manafort is not a slam dunk after all.  Judge Ellis is schooling Mueller's all stars.

https://steadfastandloyal.com/unreal/did-muellers-star-witness-commit-perjury-on-the-stand/
Everyone wants truth on his side, not everyone wants to be on the side of truth.

« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2018, 07:49:15 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 5804
Maybe convicting Manafort is not a slam dunk after all.  Judge Ellis is schooling Mueller's all stars.

https://steadfastandloyal.com/unreal/did-muellers-star-witness-commit-perjury-on-the-stand/
So let's get this straight. You're cheering on and hoping a man who committed tax fraud, basicly stealing money from Americans, because of partisan politics?

This trial is about tax fraud and should have nothing to do with politics.

Politics have gotten crazy in this country

« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2018, 08:53:30 PM »

Offline Greenback

• NCE
  • Al Horford
Nick, Manafort is innocent until proven guilty, I think that's how it is supposed to work.

I agree with you that politics should have nothing to do with it.  That should apply to Mueller's team, especially.

Everyone wants truth on his side, not everyone wants to be on the side of truth.

« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2018, 09:00:15 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
Nick, Manafort is innocent until proven guilty, I think that's how it is supposed to work.

I agree with you that politics should have nothing to do with it.  That should apply to Mueller's team, especially.
Why should it apply to Mueller's team especially? What in this trial have they brought forward that suggests Mueller's team is playing politics? They have brought forward evidence, hard evidence against Manafort. Review that evidence. He committed tax fraud.

« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2018, 09:06:02 PM »

Offline Greenback

• NCE
  • Al Horford

Why should it apply to Mueller's team especially? What in this trial have they brought forward that suggests Mueller's team is playing politics? They have brought forward evidence, hard evidence against Manafort. Review that evidence. He committed tax fraud.
It really doesn't matter what I think.  Its up to the Jury.  From the bits and pieces I have digested, the judge, jury and defense counsel are not really impressed with the evidence presented, so far.  We will see what happens.

There is plenty of evidence that the Mueller team has a very serious political bias.

« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2018, 09:08:30 PM »

Offline blink

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 520

well that is true, except at this point based on the evidence presented in the trial manafort looks guilty.  the amount of evidence presented against manafort is huge.  The evidence includes a massive paper trail, and multiple corroborating witnesses.  As far as I can tell from the released info, Manafort's only defense has been, look at Gates he is a bad man.   We yeah he is a bad man and so are you Manafort.

unless the defense can pull something out of thin air, Manafort will most likely be convicted.  Then he goes to his 2nd trial.

« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2018, 09:12:26 PM »

Offline blink

• Tiny Archibald

It really doesn't matter what I think.  Its up to the Jury.  From the bits and pieces I have digested, the judge, jury and defense counsel are not really impressed with the evidence presented, so far.  We will see what happens.

There is plenty of evidence that the Mueller team has a very serious political bias.

Can you give me a link to any story saying that the jury wasn't impressed with the evidence?  Because I don't think that exists and I don't think they are allowed to say anything about the trial until it is complete...

Plus the judge admits that he was wrong in some of his comments about the prosecution
https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/09/politics/paul-manafort-trial-day-eight/index.html

I don't see how anyone can follow this trial closely and say that Manafort is not-guilty.  That just isn't supported by the evidence.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 09:26:12 PM by blink »

« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2018, 09:18:21 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

Is this the twilight zone?

You’re aware that Mueller is a life long Republican, right?

And you’re also aware that Donald Trump is a man born to a millionaire father who has gotten everything in his life handed to him, yet has somehow managed to persuade his supporters (who you appear to be one of) that he’s been nothing but a victim his whole life? 

I mean Bernie Sanders, you can hate his politics, but he’s actually a guy who has spent his whole life talking the talk and walking the walk. You could actually say the same about Trump too. All he’s ever cared about his helping himself and his rich friends and he’s said as much. I don’t understand how he’s duped so many people into thinking he cares about the average American. This is a guy who literally sits on a golden toilet and thinks you get IDed at the grocery story because he literally has never had to buy groceries.

« Reply #68 on: August 09, 2018, 09:27:41 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
I actually think Judge Ellis is making this trial into a spectacle. I have only been in court once so I don't know for sure if judges act like he has, but I think some of the stuff he has said seems pretty unprofessional. But apparently from comments from some prosecutors that practice in Ellis' district, this is what Ellis does, especially to prosecutors.

« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2018, 09:31:41 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 371

Can you give me a link to any story saying that the jury wasn't impressed with the evidence?  Because I don't think that exists and I don't think they are allowed to say anything about the trial until it is complete...

Plus the judge admits that he was wrong in some of his comments about the prosecution
https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/09/politics/paul-manafort-trial-day-eight/index.html

I don't see how anyone can follow this trial closely and say that Manafort is not-guilty.  That just isn't supported by the evidence.
Manaforts guilt implies trumps guilt. Got to protect the head cheese.

« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2018, 09:50:25 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith

I don't agree with that. Manafort was doing this stuff before his association with Trump. All Manaforts guilt has to do with Trump is it shows Trump is a poor judge of character.

Or you were telling a joke and I didn't get it.😁

« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2018, 10:07:39 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Doesn't matter, dude, which reminds me, I saw this on Twitter the other day and, well, here -

Please tell me that these shirts are made in China...Please tell me that these shirts are made in China...Please tell me that these shirts are made in China :o ::) ;D. *facepalm*

And you’re also aware that Donald Trump is a man born to a millionaire father who has gotten everything in his life handed to him, yet has somehow managed to persuade his supporters (who you appear to be one of) that he’s been nothing but a victim his whole life? 

I mean Bernie Sanders, you can hate his politics, but he’s actually a guy who has spent his whole life talking the talk and walking the walk. You could actually say the same about Trump too. All he’s ever cared about his helping himself and his rich friends and he’s said as much. I don’t understand how he’s duped so many people into thinking he cares about the average American. This is a guy who literally sits on a golden toilet and thinks you get IDed at the grocery story because he literally has never had to buy groceries.

Didn't W and/or Daddio make some ridiculous remark about grocery stores after having never done so in his/their life/lives? Can't exactly remember anything else other than the fact that it was absurdly hilarious.

« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2018, 10:19:25 PM »

Offline blink

• Tiny Archibald
I don't think that Manafort's guilt in this trial means that Trump is guilty of anything other than what we already knew.  He claimed he would drain the swamp, but he brought in more swampy associates that we have ever seen before.

Even though Manafort's guilt in this trial doesn't make Trump guilty of anything, it is true that Trump has a long history with Manafort.  Even though Trump tries to somehow minimize his role in the campaign, Trump has known Manafort since the 80's.  Manafort and Roger Stone have a long history as well.  Trump is lying when he implies that he doesn't have a long connection to Manafort.

All of the most interesting questions about Manafort aren't addressed in this trial.  1.  Why did Manafort work for free for Trump?  2.  Why did Manafort lie about Trump Campaign contacts with Russia?   3.  What role did Manafort play in the change in the republican platform at the 2016 RNC?  4.  How do Manafort's Russia connections intertwine with Russia interference in the 2016 election? 

Even though he is going to be in jail for the rest of his life (barring a presidential pardon), the bigger questions remain about his involvement in the Russia scandal.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 10:43:15 PM by blink »

« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2018, 10:50:08 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 2144
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Fun fact - Nixon's special prosecutor was a Dem and Clinton's independent counsel a Republican. The logic was that being investigated by a member of the opposite party would ensure the investigation was thorough and, if they were cleared, the decision wouldn't be considered driven by partisan corruption.

Trump gets investigated by a member of his own party at a time of greater partisan polarization, and the shrieking about "bias" is far louder anyway. As if there was any scenario where it wouldn't be.

Didn't W and/or Daddio make some ridiculous remark about grocery stores after having never done so in his/their life/lives? Can't exactly remember anything else other than the fact that it was absurdly hilarious.

When running for re-election in 92 there was a mini-"scandal" about Bush supposedly being amazed by supermarket scanners, which had been in heavy use for quite a while at that point. It was represented as Bush being out of touch and not familiar with stuff that was routine for everyday Americans. But both the story and its impact were probably exaggerated.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/bush-scanner-demonstration/

« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2018, 10:59:37 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 371

I don't agree with that. Manafort was doing this stuff before his association with Trump. All Manaforts guilt has to do with Trump is it shows Trump is a poor judge of character.

Or you were telling a joke and I didn't get it.😁
Sarcasm font fail.
The subtext being that trumps supporters will defend Paul ostrich coat Manafort to the death because a failure to convict would prove this is all a “partisan witch hunt “.

Hello! Guest

Welcome to the CelticsStrong Forums.

Community

Signup to win FREE tickets

* indicates required