Author Topic: Paul Manafort bank and tax fraud trial  (Read 11081 times)

Paul Manafort bank and tax fraud trial
« on: August 02, 2018, 01:42:32 PM »

Offline Cman

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 88
CNN has a feed on the Manafort trial that gets updated pretty regularly.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/manafort-trial/index.html

The prosecution has brought in a number of witnesses describing the various ways that Manafort wired money (typically from Cyprus) to pay for a number of personal expenses. His bookkeeper/ tax preparer has also testified that she never knew about the offshore accounts (ie, whatever was in there was not "counted" when paying taxes).

It certainly seems like Manafort used offshore accounts to avoid paying taxes. Of course, whether he is found guilty or not still depends on his defense.

Celtics fan for life.

Re: Paul Manafort bank and tax fraud trial
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 02:04:25 PM »

Offline blink

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 572
CNN has a feed on the Manafort trial that gets updated pretty regularly.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/manafort-trial/index.html

The prosecution has brought in a number of witnesses describing the various ways that Manafort wired money (typically from Cyprus) to pay for a number of personal expenses. His bookkeeper/ tax preparer has also testified that she never knew about the offshore accounts (ie, whatever was in there was not "counted" when paying taxes).

It certainly seems like Manafort used offshore accounts to avoid paying taxes. Of course, whether he is found guilty or not still depends on his defense.

From everything that I have read, it seems like the feds have an extremely strong case against Manafort.  With Gates supplying further evidence I just don't see how he is not convicted.

The accountant that testified is probably Cindy Laporta Accountant at KWC, which prepared
Manafortís tax returns.  She is one of the 5 that was given immunity to testify.

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 02:17:42 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 9117
Personally, I think the outcome of Manafort's trial will have a big impact on Mueller's investigation.  The assumption is that this is the current highest-profile person in the indictments and prosecutors would/should have a slamdunk case with a preponderance of evidence.

- If he's found not guilty (without rampant suspicion/accusation someone rigged it), I suspect Mueller will take a lot of heat for not producing more with his investigation.
- if found guilty, I suspect Trump will come at Mueller hard and directly to cut off the investigation to stop any more progress that could lead to Trump himself or those close to him being indicted.

even if convicted, I suspect Manafort is not going to flip on Trump.  Probably the one person they won't get to flip.

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 02:48:43 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 2190
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Manafort was notoriously dirty long before Trump's campaign. One of the "Torture Lobby" in the 80s. And it looks like they've got him dead to rights outside of the President of the United States openly trying to taint the jury. He should never get out of prison again.

I don't really have much to offer beyond that so here's a picture of a sweet ostrich skin jacket - just $15,000, and eventually your freedom:

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 02:49:45 PM »

Offline Cman

• Frank Ramsey
Personally, I think the outcome of Manafort's trial will have a big impact on Mueller's investigation.  The assumption is that this is the current highest-profile person in the indictments and prosecutors would/should have a slamdunk case with a preponderance of evidence.

- If he's found not guilty (without rampant suspicion/accusation someone rigged it), I suspect Mueller will take a lot of heat for not producing more with his investigation.
- if found guilty, I suspect Trump will come at Mueller hard and directly to cut off the investigation to stop any more progress that could lead to Trump himself or those close to him being indicted.

even if convicted, I suspect Manafort is not going to flip on Trump.  Probably the one person they won't get to flip.

Agreed.
But I'm not sure Mueller's goal is Trump. I think he's going where the evidence takes him. And it might stop after Manafort, or possibly another lower hanging fruit or two. Point is, I don't think that Manafort guilty is bad news for Trump. Trump just needs to get out of his own way so he doesn't keep seeming so guilty....
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 02:57:07 PM »

Offline liam

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1102
Manafort was notoriously dirty long before Trump's campaign. One of the "Torture Lobby" in the 80s. And it looks like they've got him dead to rights outside of the President of the United States openly trying to taint the jury. He should never get out of prison again.

I don't really have much to offer beyond that so here's a picture of a sweet ostrich skin jacket - just $15,000, and eventually your freedom:

Do they make that in orange?

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 03:11:29 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 9117

Agreed.
But I'm not sure Mueller's goal is Trump. I think he's going where the evidence takes him. And it might stop after Manafort, or possibly another lower hanging fruit or two. Point is, I don't think that Manafort guilty is bad news for Trump. Trump just needs to get out of his own way so he doesn't keep seeming so guilty....
I agree that Mueller isn't determined to get Trump, just get whoever's committed a crime.  Until the latest tidbit from Cohen about Trump knowing about the meeting, I would have sworn Trump's circle would have kept him insulated from something that questionable to make sure he couldn't be touched but perhaps I gave his circle too much credit.  We shall see.

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 03:46:48 PM »

Offline Cman

• Frank Ramsey
Latest from the trial:

Manafort was broke by January 2016.
His consulting firm was losing money, he used up lines of credit at banks, etc.
Then he offered to run Donald Trump's campaign for free.

Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 03:47:48 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 2428
Latest from the trial:

The bolded is where the bodies are buried.

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2018, 03:50:20 PM »

Offline blackbird

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64

The conviction rate in federal courts is 93% (as of 2012). Not looking good for Manafort there, but I bet Trump pardons him.

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2018, 03:58:12 PM »

Offline blink

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 572
Latest from the trial:

Exactly.  The reason Manafort agreed to work for free for Trump when he was reportedly broke seems extremely important.

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2018, 04:12:32 PM »

Offline Cman

• Frank Ramsey
Latest from the trial:

Exactly.  The reason Manafort agreed to work for free for Trump when he was reportedly broke seems extremely important.

Maybe because you can't put a price on patriotism?
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2018, 04:18:55 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2485
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Latest from the trial:

Maybe because you can't put a price on patriotism?

Tommy Point for the (intended) irony.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2018, 04:26:34 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27402
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .

The conviction rate in federal courts is 93% (as of 2012). Not looking good for Manafort there, but I bet Trump pardons him.

Yeah, the Feds generally donít take cases to trial unless they think they have overwhelming evidence. All a defendant can generally hope for is a sympathetic jury. That excludes the few cases that never should have been brought, such as the Clemens perjury trial.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2018, 04:56:06 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 292

Yeah, the Feds generally don’t take cases to trial unless they think they have overwhelming evidence. All a defendant can generally hope for is a sympathetic jury. That excludes the few cases that never should have been brought, such as the Clemens perjury trial.

I guess I start to wonder if there's a juror who is one of the Trump dead-enders. The president keeps tweeting that this whole thing is a hoax and rigged. Can he reach one of the jurors and get a hung jury to prevent a conviction?  None of us has ever seen something like this before, where the president has a direct line to everybody with an internet connection, including the jurors, and is making flat statements that the prosecution's case is a witch hunt and a fraud.

Hello! Guest

Welcome to the CelticsStrong Forums.

Community

Signup to win FREE tickets

* indicates required