Author Topic: Justice Kennedy retiring-Kavanaugh procedings-Congrats Justice Kavanaugh  (Read 48942 times)

Re: Justice Kennedy retiring-Kavanaugh procedings
« Reply #840 on: September 25, 2018, 07:07:39 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Kyrie Irving
  • Tommy Points: 271
Sounds like the 2nd woman will not testify and Feinstein is saying she doesn't know if Ford will show for the hearing or not.

« Reply #841 on: September 25, 2018, 08:37:42 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
The issue with Kavanaugh isn’t so much whether he did these things these women are alleging—though there is certainly a very good case to be made that allegations like these disqualify a Supreme Court Justice in a way they would not disqualify a less prestigious position—but it’s Kavanaugh’s repeated lies about not being much of a drinker, not being at certain parties where people remember him being and the like that truly disqualify him.

I think if he just came out a couple weeks ago and said something to the effect of the fact that he had a major drinking problem in high school, he likely did some inappropriate things in a blackout stage, and he’s sorry for doing anything inappropriate, then he could potentially get the seat. I do think that he could make the argument that he was only 17 and that while he did bad things, he didn’t actually rape these women.

But he didn’t. He lied. He’s continued to lie to try to cover these things up. And while there may be an argument to be had about 17 years old boys being able to reform themselves, it is completely disqualifying for Kavanaugh to be lying now.

PS And for anyone who is going to make some argument that he “had to lie” because of how viciously the Dems are going after him.

1) It is never appropriate for someone of his position to lie.

2) That’s the price you pay when you’re the nominee of a President who is widely known to have committed dozens of acts of sexual assault.

« Reply #842 on: September 25, 2018, 08:50:07 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27476
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
The issue with Kavanaugh isn’t so much whether he did these things these women are alleging—though there is certainly a very good case to be made that allegations like these disqualify a Supreme Court Justice in a way they would not disqualify a less prestigious position—but it’s Kavanaugh’s repeated lies about not being much of a drinker, not being at certain parties where people remember him being and the like that truly disqualify him.

I think if he just came out a couple weeks ago and said something to the effect of the fact that he had a major drinking problem in high school, he likely did some inappropriate things in a blackout stage, and he’s sorry for doing anything inappropriate, then he could potentially get the seat. I do think that he could make the argument that he was only 17 and that while he did bad things, he didn’t actually rape these women.

But he didn’t. He lied. He’s continued to lie to try to cover these things up. And while there may be an argument to be had about 17 years old boys being able to reform themselves, it is completely disqualifying for Kavanaugh to be lying now.

PS And for anyone who is going to make some argument that he “had to lie” because of how viciously the Dems are going after him.

1) It is never appropriate for someone of his position to lie.

2) That’s the price you pay when you’re the nominee of a President who is widely known to have committed dozens of acts of sexual assault.

What parties has he denied attending that eyewitnesses (other than the accusers) have placed him at?

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #843 on: September 25, 2018, 09:06:02 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
If I'm Trump and Kavanaugh is voted down I am nominating Amy Coney Barrett that same afternoon, and then Dems can explain to their voters why they won't give her a hearing or what about her is objectionable or who this mother of seven (two of which are adopted from Haiti, and one of which is special needs) abused in her youth.

I would be very interested to see the railroad job they would do on her.

« Reply #844 on: September 25, 2018, 09:15:58 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
If I'm Trump and Kavanaugh is voted down I am nominating Amy Coney Barrett that same afternoon, and then Dems can explain to their voters why they won't give her a hearing or what about her is objectionable or who this mother of seven (two of which are adopted from Haiti, and one of which is special needs) abused in her youth.

Devout Christian = cult follower

« Reply #845 on: September 25, 2018, 09:22:31 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1312

Personally, on their individual judicial merits, I would have preferred Barrett in the first place.

« Reply #846 on: September 25, 2018, 10:06:36 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1552

Blah to both of you.  While it is an embarrassment to the country that Gorsuch was confirmed on only a 54-45 vote (should have been unanimous), it is even more embarrassing that hearings weren't even considered for 10 months while Merrick Garland sat and waited.  I vote frequently (about 90%) for dems, and want the dems to obliterate the repubs in November (sending a resounding anti-Trump message), but you can view all of my Kavanaugh posts prior to the accusations --  they were in favor of confirmation.   Trump as POTUS has a right to nominate his guy/gal and the senate (IMO) is OBLIGATED to confirm unless there are significant moral factors, or holds views that are demonstrably extremist and a danger to our country.   I saw no such factors for Kavanaugh and I believe he would have been confirmed with about a half-dozen democrats supporting.   

IF Kavanaugh hadn't been accused of misconduct, I would have supported his nomination and would have hoped that ALL dems voted yes (though I know they would not have). So... while I keep an open mind that she (they) MAY be telling the truth; and keep an open mind that he MAY be telling the truth, I await what I hope to be a diligent and respectful gathering of information that will help elucidate who is more credible.   You guys, of course, already know the answer.  I, despite at least average intelligence, do not.

Your cynicism is justifiable, I suppose, but also hypocritical if you don't carry the same cynicism for your "side".   I prefer to be less cynical and believe that there are some decent, honorable people on both sides of the aisle.   I know the Devout Christian = Cult Follower is sarcasm, but do we really have to go there?   I am the furthest thing from a devout Christian, but I do have respect for Christians nonetheless and suspect that most dems feel the same. 

I would be open to whoever Trump nominates because he is POTUS, but for crying out loud -- 3 women are bringing forth stories that, if true, would lay some doubt to the nominee's morality -- they deserve to be heard and all senators on both sides should be thoroughly open and listening TO BOTH SIDES.  The fact that some are immediately believing or immediately disbelieving is equally wrong in my opinion.

« Reply #847 on: September 25, 2018, 10:10:12 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Personally, on their individual judicial merits, I would have preferred Barrett in the first place.
Me too

« Reply #848 on: September 25, 2018, 10:12:20 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Yup. She's Catholic so they'll have to get their Spartacus moments

« Reply #849 on: September 25, 2018, 10:20:30 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I prefer to be less cynical and believe that there are some decent, honorable people on both sides of the aisle.   I know the Devout Christian = Cult Follower is sarcasm, but do we really have to go there?   

I wasn't being all that sarcastic, and I'm not the one who brought it "there".  Dianne Feinstein, among others, has already imposed her version of a religious test on Barrett.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/inside-amy-coney-barretts-cult-1530833211

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/dianne-feinstein-amy-coney-barrett-senate-judiciary-hearing-religious-litmus-tests-catholic-faith/

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/judge-amy-barrett-criticized-for-charismatic-affiliation--who-are-the-people-of-praise-17632

https://slate.com/human-interest/2018/07/amy-coney-barretts-alleged-religious-group-people-of-praise-what-is-it.html
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 10:27:15 PM by Roy H. »

« Reply #850 on: September 25, 2018, 10:20:56 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Amy Barret would get railroaded somehow. Dems can't have a Pro Life mother of 7 on the Supreme Court. That would be the biggest threat to them since the last conservative nominee.

I mean if they think Kavanaugh is a threat to RvWade.......Amy Barret would be like the Cuba Missle Crisis times ten.

They'll have to accuse her of selling heroin to Russian operatives to fund a child trafficking ring to help her make money to give to Centers for Medical Progress, to funnel to Trump's campaign in order to build a wall, which is actually just a distraction away from letting the robots plug us into the Matrix

« Reply #851 on: September 25, 2018, 10:24:47 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Me too

Hopefully the GOP picks up a seat or two, and another Justice leaves the bench while Trump (or Pence, haha) is in office. 

« Reply #852 on: September 25, 2018, 11:05:37 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Me too

Hopefully the GOP picks up a seat or two, and another Justice leaves the bench while Trump (or Pence, haha) is in office.
I'm annoyed Alito is already 68, but I suppose Sotomayor is already 64. 

RBG and Breyer are 85 and 80 and I would be very curious what the average is for a retirement when you have two 80 year olds on the bench. Scalia was 80. I suppose one of them could always wake up with a  pillow on their head. I'm in total shock there was no autopsy. No autopsy? Really?

I could go for 7 conservative justices

« Reply #853 on: September 25, 2018, 11:08:53 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
This is a tad interesting. Average age of retirement going back 11 justices is 80.

https://www.businessinsider.com/supreme-court-when-ginsberg-other-justices-could-quit-based-on-age-tenure-2018-6

« Reply #854 on: September 25, 2018, 11:56:59 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
m not sure being a hardcore feminist is necessary to receive that impression.

Hardcore feminists and their virtue-signaling allies.  Men and women routinely got wasted in our college.  Why do some believe that only one gender has to maintain personal responsibility?  There's a difference between a drunken hookup culture  -- which women actively participate in -- and a drunken rape culture, in which almost nobody does.

To the other overwhelming majority of the world, we were college kids that studied hard and partied hard, while maintaining appropriate lines. 

Getting drunk and hooking up are not inherently wrong behaviors.  Openly bragging about someone you've hooked up with or degrading those you've hooked up with is.  Did you have permission to tell the world you scored with someone?  Would you appreciate it if someone went around portraying you as some drunken floozy?  Maybe you'd be okay with someone portraying you like that, and telling the world about your private business.  Others may not be.
Wait. Kavanaugh shouldn't be on the Court because he bragged?

Hello! Guest

Welcome to the CelticsStrong Forums.

Community

Signup to win FREE tickets

* indicates required