Author Topic: Justice Kennedy retiring-Kavanaugh procedings-Congrats Justice Kavanaugh  (Read 48975 times)

Re: Justice Kennedy retiring-Kavanaugh procedings
« Reply #600 on: September 21, 2018, 07:58:07 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Kyrie Irving
  • Tommy Points: 271
If the 2 sides eventually do come to an agreement...  What are the chances that Ford and her attorneys show up and grandstand for their opening statements and then walk out?  What can the senate do to ensure that something like that doesn't happen?  I just can't imagine, under any circumstance, that Ford nor her attorneys would allow her to testify and get picked apart under scrutiny.

« Reply #601 on: September 21, 2018, 08:24:31 PM »

Online nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 5872
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1043126336473055235

I have no doubt that, if the attack on Dr. Ford was as bad as she says, charges would have been immediately filed with local Law Enforcement Authorities by either her or her loving parents. I ask that she bring those filings forward so that we can learn  date, time, and place!

Donald Trump is just such a scumbag.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/09/21/politics/susan-collins-kavanaugh-accuser-trump/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

Sen. Susan Collins on this tweet:
"We know that allegations of sexual assault -- I'm not saying that's what happened in this case -- but we know that allegations of sexual assault are one of the most unreported crimes that exist, so I thought that the President's tweet was completely inappropriate and wrong," Collins said. 

Also, Senate Republicans set a deadline of 10:00PM tonight for Ford to say if she will show up Wednesday when Ford said she would testify Thursday. Senate Democrats have asked to delay until Thursday. The Republicans, to this point, have not responded to the request. I mean it's one day. They should absolutely delay it the one day.

They’ve already delayed it several times. At some point a deadline is a deadline.

And yes, Trump remains a pompous ass.
If Ford had stuff already scheduled for Monday -Wednesday, stuff she had to get done and has stated she will be there Thursday, what is the big deal of one day. It's ridiculous to not grant the delay for one day.

Oral arguments for the next Supreme Court term begins October 1. The Judiciary Committee still needs to vote, followed by the full Senate. If the Democrats would waive further debate in the full Senate to move to an immediate vote, I’m sure the Republicans would give her until Thursday.
We had 8 Justices for most of Obama's last year and most of Trump's tenure. If Kavanaugh isn't voted on until after the October 1 start of the SC, it really is no big deal. Republicans haven't seen to have had a problem with there only being 8 Justices for a very long time.

While a fair point, the majority sets the agenda, and they’ve prioritized a full SC. And like I said, if the Dems want to waive debate - or just one day of it - I’m sure we could do this Thursday. It’s all a game.

And, what is it that Ford has to do that’s more important? So far, it’s only been reported that she doesn’t want to feel “rushed”. “Rushed” on a 36 year old accusation; rushed on something she’s been speaking to her attorneys, the Washington Post, and Democrat members of Congress about for several months.
I don't know Ford's schedule and really, it doesn't make a difference. She said she would testify on Thursday on the week that Republicans originally scheduled time for her to testify on Monday. Something as important as her testimony shouldn't be rushed because of a delay of just 1-3 days. Even Trump has been quoted either earlier this week or last week that patience was needed and it wasn't a big deal if there was a delay.

« Reply #602 on: September 21, 2018, 08:33:30 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Kyrie Irving

I have no doubt that, if the attack on Dr. Ford was as bad as she says, charges would have been immediately filed with local Law Enforcement Authorities by either her or her loving parents. I ask that she bring those filings forward so that we can learn  date, time, and place!

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/09/21/politics/susan-collins-kavanaugh-accuser-trump/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

"We know that allegations of sexual assault -- I'm not saying that's what happened in this case -- but we know that allegations of sexual assault are one of the most unreported crimes that exist, so I thought that the President's tweet was completely inappropriate and wrong," Collins said. 

Also, Senate Republicans set a deadline of 10:00PM tonight for Ford to say if she will show up Wednesday when Ford said she would testify Thursday. Senate Democrats have asked to delay until Thursday. The Republicans, to this point, have not responded to the request. I mean it's one day. They should absolutely delay it the one day.

They’ve already delayed it several times. At some point a deadline is a deadline.

If Ford had stuff already scheduled for Monday -Wednesday, stuff she had to get done and has stated she will be there Thursday, what is the big deal of one day. It's ridiculous to not grant the delay for one day.

Oral arguments for the next Supreme Court term begins October 1. The Judiciary Committee still needs to vote, followed by the full Senate. If the Democrats would waive further debate in the full Senate to move to an immediate vote, I’m sure the Republicans would give her until Thursday.
We had 8 Justices for most of Obama's last year and most of Trump's tenure. If Kavanaugh isn't voted on until after the October 1 start of the SC, it really is no big deal. Republicans haven't seen to have had a problem with there only being 8 Justices for a very long time.

While a fair point, the majority sets the agenda, and they’ve prioritized a full SC. And like I said, if the Dems want to waive debate - or just one day of it - I’m sure we could do this Thursday. It’s all a game.

And, what is it that Ford has to do that’s more important? So far, it’s only been reported that she doesn’t want to feel “rushed”. “Rushed” on a 36 year old accusation; rushed on something she’s been speaking to her attorneys, the Washington Post, and Democrat members of Congress about for several months.
I don't know Ford's schedule and really, it doesn't make a difference. She said she would testify on Thursday on the week that Republicans originally scheduled time for her to testify on Monday. Something as important as her testimony shouldn't be rushed because of a delay of just 1-3 days. Even Trump has been quoted either earlier this week or last week that patience was needed and it wasn't a big deal if there was a delay.
Tucker Carlson just stated that there is great significance to the Democrats wanting to delay the hearings until Thursday.  Didn't catch the whole thing but something about senate rules then forcing the delay of a vote another week.  Big difference between Wednesday and Thursday and it is obvious the Dems are controlling this and not an agenda of Ford.

« Reply #603 on: September 21, 2018, 08:37:40 PM »

Online nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 5872

Tucker Carlson just stated that there is great significance to the Democrats wanting to delay the hearings until Thursday.  Didn't catch the whole thing but something about senate rules then forcing the delay of a vote another week.  Big difference between Wednesday and Thursday and it is obvious the Dems are controlling this and not an agenda of Ford.
I think Tucker Carlson is making a big deal out of nothing. As I said before, the Republicans didn't have a problem with there being only 8 Justices for the better part of 2 years. A week delay is nothing.

« Reply #604 on: September 21, 2018, 08:44:02 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Kyrie Irving

I think Tucker Carlson is making a big deal out of nothing. As I said before, the Republicans didn't have a problem with there being only 8 Justices for the better part of 2 years. A week delay is nothing.
In this political environment a week might as well be a year.  It is simply being driven by politics and not due to a modicum of fairness to Ford and her attorneys.

« Reply #605 on: September 21, 2018, 08:46:54 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27475
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .

In this political environment a week might as well be a year.  It is simply being driven by politics ...

Yes, exactly.  Ford is -- once again -- acting more like a Democrat operative than an actual victim.  Their agenda is driving her, when it should be the opposite.  I'm not sure if that's the fault of Ford or her attorneys; it's not a coincidence that she just hired Joe Biden's former communications director (another long-term Democrat operative to add to the other long-term Democrat operatives on her staff).  It's clear it's all about politics.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 08:54:32 PM by Roy H. »

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #606 on: September 21, 2018, 10:07:28 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 449
I for one am not saying if it was true or not but feel that if someone makes a false accusation and it is proven to be false, they should suffer the same sentence for what they were accusing someone of falsely doing. I am no longer able to even disceminate between fact or fiction in our media today. This reaks of politics but truly, we never truly know. Sad state of affairs the morality of humanity is evolving into one where lies and truth are blending into one blurry mess.

« Reply #607 on: September 21, 2018, 10:31:18 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Ford has asked for another day to make her decision.

Ridiculous.  Grassley should have subpoenaed her.

« Reply #608 on: September 21, 2018, 10:50:45 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

When the world didn't react like a witch hunt to your 35 year old unsubstantiated allegations you need the extra day to get your story straight

« Reply #609 on: September 22, 2018, 12:15:57 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1552

When the world didn't react like a witch hunt to your 35 year old unsubstantiated allegations you need the extra day to get your story straight

Cynnical take. Possibly wrong.

« Reply #610 on: September 22, 2018, 12:25:37 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 116

Cynnical take. Possibly wrong.

I honestly don't understand the hostility, or the problem with her getting another day. I mean as much as her life has probably been effected by coming forward it would get that much more extreme after testifying, and that alone is something you have to grapple with when making this decision. Its not as if theres some huge victory to be gained by pushing the confirmation a few days or even a week. As far as I can tell the votes will still be there to confirm whether he testifies tomorrow, or next week.

« Reply #611 on: September 22, 2018, 03:24:10 AM »

Offline Cman

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 88

Republicans are the ones being ridiculous here. She asked for Thursday (for some specific reasons) and they said no, Wednesday.

When you are making a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court you don’t need to worry about 24 hours. Unless you are more interested in playing politics (and the Rs clearly are at this point).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #612 on: September 22, 2018, 07:20:19 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Republicans are the ones being ridiculous here. She asked for Thursday (for some specific reasons) and they said no, Wednesday.

When you are making a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court you don’t need to worry about 24 hours. Unless you are more interested in playing politics (and the Rs clearly are at this point).

What were the specific reasons?

In the real world, people adjust their schedule for court; court doesn’t adjust its schedule for you. While this isn’t court, I’m sure the same rule applies for the U.S. Senate.

« Reply #613 on: September 22, 2018, 09:48:56 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 644

Of course this is political. Doesn't mean this woman is lying though.

The Republicans should just give her the extra day and get on with it. They already trampled over the Constitution once when they denied Garland a hearing. Now they don't want to listen to potentially critical evidence about their own guy and just want to rubber-stamp him in?

That is truly the height of hypocrisy.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 10:04:56 AM by kraidstar »

« Reply #614 on: September 22, 2018, 10:45:57 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 394

Of course this is political. Doesn't mean this woman is lying though.

The Republicans should just give her the extra day and get on with it. They already trampled over the Constitution once when they denied Garland a hearing. Now they don't want to listen to potentially critical evidence about their own guy and just want to rubber-stamp him in?

That is truly the height of hypocrisy.

They should at least try to pretend this time like they give a #### about the country.
From what I've read, she says he was drunk, tried to get her clothes off and then she got away. It apparently was a single incident at a high school party.  Apparently no other women have come forward to make allegations against him.  Even if everything she's says is true, what would it be critical evidence of? 

The Dems are driven by politics too.  So far, I don't see where this is anywhere close to the level that the Anita Hill allegations were.  They want to drag this out as long as they can even if they can't stop it. 

Hello! Guest

Welcome to the CelticsStrong Forums.

Community

Signup to win FREE tickets

* indicates required