Author Topic: According to Sporting News, Cs want to move up for Bamba  (Read 15631 times)

Re: According to Sporting News, Cs want to move up for Bamba
« Reply #135 on: May 30, 2018, 06:04:43 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Unless you think Bamba is going to be an Anthony Davis / KAT type big man (i.e. can lots of things on both ends), I don't see how you could ever countenance trading a versatile wing talent like Jaylen Brown for a big man prospect.
Nobody thinks that.  They think he's Rudy Gobert.  Would you trade Brown for Gobert?

Gobert with a functional jump shot.

People also believe Bamba is quicker than gobert and can defend the pick and roll on the perimeter. I haven’t seen him, so I don’t have a personal opinion, but that’s what I read..

« Reply #136 on: May 30, 2018, 06:06:54 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Unless you think Bamba is going to be an Anthony Davis / KAT type big man (i.e. can lots of things on both ends), I don't see how you could ever countenance trading a versatile wing talent like Jaylen Brown for a big man prospect.
Nobody thinks that.  They think he's Rudy Gobert.  Would you trade Brown for Gobert?

Gobert with a functional jump shot.

People also believe Bamba is quicker than gobert and can defend the pick and roll on the perimeter. I haven’t seen him, so I don’t have a personal opinion, but that’s what I read..

Gobert and Bamba are both eerily similar in that when they first came to the NBA, they were both extremely slow footed, and laterally weren't up there. Bamba might be a little quicker, but his instincts are very inconsistent, and his motor is something that I'm worried about.

I would say Bamba has advanced PnR defense for his age and especially his size, and how far ahead he is on the learning curve of the defensive spectrum. But there are certainly times where he seems over matched on stronger bigs, and his shot is merely just a shot. He can certainly improve, but I'm not that high on him doing so anyways.

Gobert when he came to the Jazz, he had to have this special training regiment that specialized on strengthening his lower body core, and constructing more depth on his hips.

Instead, what Lindsey painstakingly detailed was Utah's long-term developmental plan for the player who had already earned the nickname the "Stifle Tower." The short version, according to Lindsey: "Making Rudy safer, stronger and more skilled." But he was deep into the particulars of the plan that had been in place since the Jazz selected Gobert with the 27th overall pick in the 2013 draft.

That meant cracking open a thick binder that contains all of Gobert's diagnostic testing results from P3, the sports science company the Jazz work with extensively, and poring over the data. They discussed in great length the most scientifically sound path for him to prevent injuries and continue to add functional strength.

They explored the additional duties and responsibilities, such as the Jazz's expectation that Gobert would emerge as a team leader. They discussed their hope that Gobert would spend his summers at times in Salt Lake City under the supervision of the Jazz staff. They talked about Gobert's potential for improvement, with Lindsey emphasizing the Jazz were investing in a dominant defensive presence and complementary offensive force, not paying Gobert to grow into a go-to scorer.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #137 on: May 30, 2018, 06:07:53 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3059
  • On To Banner 18!
IMO, Ainge really wants either Jaren Jackson Jr, or Wendell Carter. IF he trades up into the Top-10, it will be in the hopes of acquiring either.

Question is, could Ainge create some sort of package that Memphis, Dallas or Orlando could take (without including Jaylen and Tatum in it)?

Most mocks have JJJ going in the 3-5 range, while Carter may fall to #7 but most assume if he's there, Chicago's taking him (also assuming Porter is picked earlier).

There's also actual rumblings Bagley could be there at #4 and JJJ goes #3. Interesting...
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #138 on: May 30, 2018, 06:11:22 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I do whatever it takes to nag either MPJ or Bagley. Those two have the undeniable skill-set or motor to stand out in the league. Bagley seems like once he fixes the hitch in his shot, improves his ability to defend on the weak side, and any occasional offensive mishaps, he'll be an absolute monster to see on the court. Think of a Chris Bosh that could actually rebound and play on both ends of the floor.

MPJ just seems like everything in his offensive arsenal comes so effortless. He rarely seems to be jilted, and if his medical history and injuries seem in the clear, he's going to be a potent Tobias Harris with a better jumper.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #139 on: May 30, 2018, 06:17:06 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 758
This board would implode if the Celtics traded Brown to move up for Bamba.

Hes my favorite player on the team by a wide margin, so the trade seems inevitable.

You & me think alike tarheels - on many issues it seems.

We worked very hard to put this team together. We have a roster full of proven players, many with additional potential. Why wreck what is working ?

I believe we do need an athletic rebounder/defender inside and a knock-down shooter off the bench - but don't do it by giving away great draft picks like Jaylen Brown. Don't get rid of more guys who love being Celtics. It matters.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #140 on: May 30, 2018, 06:23:56 PM »

Offline CelticsFan166

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 133
Rozier, #27, Kings 2019 to Orlando for #6 if he’s still there. Get it done. I’d be willing to throw in an extra first rounder if need be, but for God’s sake don’t trade Jaylen. Bamba has all the physical tools of Rudy Gobert with a developing jump shot to boot. He’d give us the center of our future and someone to defend the Embiids and the Porzingises of the league.

« Reply #141 on: May 30, 2018, 06:27:21 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
If we are dealing with the Magic then IMO the most lucrative/overpay package w/o Jaylen ( no way we trade him in this draft or any other):
Rozier
MEM pick
SAC pick

That gets it done. But more realistic/conservitive would be Rozier and just 1 of those 2 picks and maybe throw the 27 in there.

« Reply #142 on: May 30, 2018, 06:39:33 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
The part about Jaylen seems to be the speculation of the author. I have never heard about Ainge being willing to trade Brown after the Butler saga, he even publicly stated that he starts to hang up whenever he hears Brown's name in trade proposals. It's likely Rozier+Kings pick+Grizzlies pick for the 4th or 5th pick to select Bamba.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #143 on: May 30, 2018, 06:47:52 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25592
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Question: if Bamba projects to be a better Rudy Gobert, why isn’t he going #1?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #144 on: May 30, 2018, 06:52:13 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
This board would implode if the Celtics traded Brown to move up for Bamba.

Hes my favorite player on the team by a wide margin, so the trade seems inevitable.

Lol, TP ;D.

The thing that worries me a bit is that so far Ainge has been a disaster at drafting big men.
He was obsessed with Robert Swift, passed on DeAndre Jordan, picked Fab Melo, trader up
to get Olynyk while passing on Giannis, missed out on Nurkic and Jokic, drafted Zizic. Can we trust his instincts on banking on a big man prospect?

TP. Ugh.

If we traded Jaylen Brown for anyone not named Karl Anthony-Towns or Anthony Davis, I will burn this place to the ground.

Lol. I'm not even Brown's biggest fan, but even so, the only guy for whom I'd trade him would probably be Dwayne Bacon, so burning this place to the ground might ultimately yield a very tasty outcome, hehe ;D. #CrispyOrCharred

I'm guessing Brown and change probably does it.  I have no idea what Bamba will be in the NBA; none at all. 

Regarding Brown, he still has as many question marks as he does talent. Is he a star? I'd bet not.  Can he play like a star sometimes?  Sure.  The question will be whether he can provide consistent production on a team where he will never be the man, or even second to the man.

And no, I don't think Rozier and the Sac pick is enough.

What’s Brown’s floor? An elite defender who scores 15 ppg?  If the only real questions are if he develops from an above-average starter into a star, I’m happy with what we’ve got.
Brown floor is an inconsistent player that is a star one game and a bum the other.  A rich man's Jeff Green?

LOL this is awful, imo. Can we please stop referring to any/all of our players as "bums"? #YesTheBarReallyIsThatLow

I'm guessing Brown and change probably does it.  I have no idea what Bamba will be in the NBA; none at all. 

Regarding Brown, he still has as many question marks as he does talent. Is he a star? I'd bet not.  Can he play like a star sometimes?  Sure.  The question will be whether he can provide consistent production on a team where he will never be the man, or even second to the man.

And no, I don't think Rozier and the Sac pick is enough.

What’s Brown’s floor? An elite defender who scores 15 ppg?  If the only real questions are if he develops from an above-average starter into a star, I’m happy with what we’ve got.
Brown floor is an inconsistent player that is a star one game and a bum the other.  A rich man's Jeff Green?

Can you guys stop bringing the freaking Jeff aka Uncle Snooze comparison? They honestly play nothing alike.. Green used to always drive right and had no go to moves. Brown exhibits a lot more and he's far the vastly superior defender..

I know, right? That comparison is rather lazy ;)...;D.

I can tell you right now, that a 20 year old Tatum is going to be a very good player. 

See how I did that?  It's frankly relatively easy to guesstimate what a player will be actually. 

As far as Brown, his feel for the game is his biggest issue.  And no, not compared to a star but compared to other 21 year old NBA players.  That is what leads to his shot blocked more than any other player in the NBA (seemingly).  He doesn't know when to attack, then to pass, when to shoot.

But yeah, his physical talent is very very nice.  That gives him a relatively high ceiling.  I just think his floor is lower than most other think.

While I share many of your concerns, none of that equates to Brown being a "bum", imo ::).

No, I wouldn't trade an All-Star caliber wing prospect who can switch and defend 1-4 for a big man like Rudy Gobert.

Rudy is great and all, but as great as he is, he still has issues staying on the floor against the best teams in the league due to his lack of range.

That's the NBA now.  A wing like Brown is worth more than almost any other kind of player apart from the unicorn type bigs / forwards who can do almost everything.

Since when can Brown defend power forwards?

Plus, just because the league might be valuing wing players over big guys at the moment doesn't mean that that trend will continue indefinitely, imo, so while I'm not vouching for Bamba, we do need a center.

« Reply #145 on: May 30, 2018, 07:02:33 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
"Celtics like Bamba"

Ainge messing with anyone who cares to read this stuff. He has the 27th pick and one of the potentially best starting sixes in the league....but, he "likes" Bamba.

I bet he "likes" ice cream too, are they going to change the team's name to the Boston Ice cream cones?
they really should.

I'm all over that. My daughter would totally let me take her to a basketball game if that was their name.

Now

Me: "Hey, Sophie, we're going to a Celtics game!"
Her: "No! I hate the Celtics! I want to get my nails painted and go to Rod Dee!

Then

Me: "Hey, Sophie, we're going to see some ice cream cones and get your face painted at the game!"
Her: "Whoo-hoo, get out the T pass!"

Not to mention all of the marketing opportunities and the unintentional humor of grown men wearing a t-shirt with a couple of scoops of ice cream on it, not to mention the teenagers who will no doubt flip the shirt upside down to turn it into a phallic symbol.

Mike

Lol, posts such as these are as to why you're easily one of my favorite people on this site - TP ;D.

If I've properly gauged the interests of your daughter via these comments, ahahaha ;D, perhaps you should try taking her to a game when the Celtics play against Anthony Davis, Embiid, Towns, or Porzingis because, hey, unicorns ;) ;D. Just make sure that, ultimately, it's her choice...;) ;D #BlackHumor

Honestly, I'd be concerned as to her future education regarding The Holocaust, as that could be quite, umm, uncomfortable, to say the least? Hang in there. Your son isn't named Ryan by any chance, is he? ;) ;D

As for the prospect of renaming the Celtics as the Boston Ice Cream Cones, I'm afraid that Ainge would opt for the Boston Chipotles. I think ;D.

« Reply #146 on: May 30, 2018, 07:03:34 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Because Bamba has the Gobert ceiling, but does have bust potential. Plus, this class at the top is incredibly strong. In other years, Bamba goes #1.

« Reply #147 on: May 30, 2018, 07:17:56 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Cool, let's give them Tatum.

I'd trade him for a bag of doritos. Just the bag, you can keep the doritos.

Not sure if serious.

« Reply #148 on: May 30, 2018, 07:19:32 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Because you've got.a projected modern Patrick Starfish and a guard-wing unicorn euro who has proven to shine at one of the highest levels in Europe. Oh and a big man who's 18 and has put up great numbers in college, as well as a modern big man that everyone loves (ok imo JJJ is overrated bit still).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #149 on: May 30, 2018, 07:23:54 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I believe that Orlando at #6 is the best fit if the main piece is Rozier plus the Kings pick.  Or Rozier plus the Memphis pick and the #27 pick.

Orlando's two PGs Augustin and Mack are nothing special.

We would have to see if Bamba lasted to pick #6 in that case.

It depends on what Memphis and Dallas are demanding but they are kind of set at the PG position.