Author Topic: Trade back from first round  (Read 1775 times)

Trade back from first round
« on: May 17, 2018, 11:21:08 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
There have been a lot of "What does Rozier + our draft pick get us" threads. I'm thinking that we should go the other way and trade back (I think somebody in one of those threads mentioned this as an idea.).

Our chances of getting a star at #27 are low. We don't need more young players or guaranteed contracts.

So why not punt this year and pick up a couple of seconds. If we want them this year, we can trade for 35 & 41 from Orlando, or 40 & 45 from Brooklyn. Or one this year and one next. Or, well, just about anything else. We'll get two longshots instead of one but, more importantly, there's no guaranteed money.

Mike

Re: Trade back from first round
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 11:27:18 AM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
I like it because of several reasons:

1. They have picked well in the second round recently, Ojeleye being a recent example.

2. You dont have guarenteed money in a first round contract.

3. You can draft two guys and put them in the 2-way contracts just like Bird and Allen did this year.

4. I really want them to take a flyer on Rawle Alkins with one of the picks. He could be another guard in the mold of AB or Smart.

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 11:30:00 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
There have been a lot of "What does Rozier + our draft pick get us" threads. I'm thinking that we should go the other way and trade back (I think somebody in one of those threads mentioned this as an idea.).

Our chances of getting a star at #27 are low. We don't need more young players or guaranteed contracts.

So why not punt this year and pick up a couple of seconds. If we want them this year, we can trade for 35 & 41 from Orlando, or 40 & 45 from Brooklyn. Or one this year and one next. Or, well, just about anything else. We'll get two longshots instead of one but, more importantly, there's no guaranteed money.

Mike

I think he would more likely take a stash at 27 for no hit to the cap and see if it hits in a couple years.

That’s the model that made the Spurs contenders for 15 years.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 11:46:23 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
IMO, it depends on whether Jontay Porter is available at #27 - he's raw but I think that he can develop into a good backup PF/C (and he shoots the 3 ball at a decent rate!). If not, I like your idea of trading into the second round (Mortiz Wagner from Michigan is a player I've been keeping my eyes on). Personally, I would do a combination of an early second round pick this year + a pick in the draft next year to avoid roster spot issues.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 12:18:24 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
I like the idea. 35 + 41 sounds good!

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 12:26:11 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I hate the idea, though the intentions are good.  Why?  Because 2nd rounder rarely pan out.  (Yes, I know there are exceptions.)

Why not draft a Euro and stash him, like they did with Yabusele?

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 12:29:41 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
prefer to keep the pick to either replace Nader or use the draft-and-stash to bring in a euro in a couple of years after they develop a bit overseas for free.

C's will likely only have 2 roster spots open up over the summer --> Nader (can't see them keeping him at this point) and one of Baynes/Monroe.  C's won't be able to resign both and is there really a need to?

why fill the roster with 2 more second rounders?  if Bird and/or Allen need another year in G-league, that forces the new picks to either join the main roster or be cut loose which is a waste of the picks.  If those picks join the roster, there's no flexibility to add another player after the waiver deadline next season (if needed for the postseason drive --> like Monroe this year).

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 12:53:19 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
The Spurs used to use this strategy a lot about 10 or so years ago.  Makes a lot of sense.

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 02:06:11 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I would want to avoid giving a guaranteed contract to a late 1st round pick.  2 2nds is not a bad return.  But I'd rather trade for a future 1st, whether it's in 2019 or 2020.

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 02:37:51 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I like it because of several reasons:

1. They have picked well in the second round recently, Ojeleye being a recent example.

2. You dont have guarenteed money in a first round contract.

3. You can draft two guys and put them in the 2-way contracts just like Bird and Allen did this year.

4. I really want them to take a flyer on Rawle Alkins with one of the picks. He could be another guard in the mold of AB or Smart.

Same here, although I'm not sure about the comparisons to Bradley and Smart.

Still, and while I love the idea of potentially trading back, I think that it's best to wait until after the deadline for early eligibility passes, because, and while I honestly believe this to be extremely unlikely, should Charles Matthews of Michigan opt to stay in the draft and Ainge is sure that he can get Alkins at 35 and Matthews at 41, for example, I say make the deal, but should the latter opt to return to school, I'd rather just keep the 27th pick and take Alkins, anyway, so we'll see as to what happens in the coming weeks.

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2018, 03:07:34 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I'd prefer we keep it, boot Nader, and probably keep Larkin if possible. Doubt we find a 4th string PG of his quality in the 2nd round
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2018, 01:10:09 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
With the depth in the end of 1st and early 2nd I wouldn’t mind the Cs moving back for an early and mid 2.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2018, 01:40:51 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Could just buy a second rounder like they did with Bill Walker (2008 #47).  :)

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2018, 01:46:00 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Why not draft a Euro and stash him, like they did with Yabusele?

How can you say that this worked out well for us, given Yabusele's play and development which has been nil?

I think we cut Nader either way, he does not play D and we don't need guys like that.