Author Topic: John Wall wants changes in Washington  (Read 5626 times)

Re: John Wall wants changes in Washington
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2018, 05:16:04 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
John wants changes in less then a year after signing mega extension. Right on time.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 05:25:05 PM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2018, 05:30:39 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 895
  • GOT IT!!!
Wizards have until the deadline to move Wall before that huge extension kicks in. I think they should definitely do it. The chemistry on that team is horrible.

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2018, 05:59:24 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Does this mean they bring back JaVale McGee?  ;D

In all seriousness, who's available, as far as an athletic big? And could they afford him?

As others have already mentioned, those contracts for Mahinmi and Porter are/were atrocious.

That said, and to your point about acquiring an athletic big guy, maybe the Wizards should look into dealing for Whiteside lma0 ;D.

If they're going to opt for a full-on rebuild, though, why not trade Wall and Porter for Teague and Wiggins? Sure Porter and Wiggins have no fire, like at all, lol, but Washington gets another young, no-defense, option to put next to Beal, while under Thibs, Wall and Butler should start falling apart at any time, now, ahahaha #TheBestOfBothWorlds ;D.

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2018, 06:21:25 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
That Porter contract is brutal. I can't believe they gave him that. Nice player but not for that money.

That was an RFA tender match right?

Yea that contract is going to haunt them! They should have never matched that Porter isn't worth half that.

« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2018, 07:48:16 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I'm not convinced that Brooks is a good coach. He couldn't really put together a cogent team in OKC, and hasn't done much in Washington either. I wouldn't put him in "coaches I would immediately fire" camp (Joe Prunty), but I wouldn't put him in the top half of the coaches in the league either. A small part of me thinks he ended up in Washington to lure Durant.

He definitely isn't the right coach for the hilarious egos in Washington. I love the way John Wall plays, but I'm honestly convinced that the locker room they have is at least partly on his shoulders. He is a prickly dude, and doesn't come off to me like a guy who would foster a good locker room. Maybe I just have him and Cousins linked in my brain from their Kentucky days, but both of them seem to have a heavy amount of sour to their demeanor. It feels like Washington just has too many of those guys. I don't think I've ever seen any of them having fun while playing, even when they're winning.

Beal is a good player, and seems like a nice guy but he has to be your 3rd best guy. I also think the return on Beal wouldn't be quote as good. He's 3 years younger than Wall and is way easier to fit in team building, so I'd probably try to build around him, Oubre and Porter.

If it were me, I'd move Wall. I think they can get a good return on an allstar PG signed for a bunch of years in the prime of his career. Probably 1 lightly protected first rounders and at least 1 young prospect. Something like Lonzo + a top-3 protected pick next year. That is the kind of return they should expect.

A Leonard/Wall trade would be interesting and WAS would have to throw in Oubre, but I'm not sure I'd do that if I were the Spurs. I think you have to rebuild if you trade Kawhi, and I don't think John Wall is the guy you rebuild around.

« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2018, 08:02:20 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3061
  • On To Banner 18!
I too want changes in Washington.

.... OH WAIT is this not a political statement?

:P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2018, 08:28:13 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 979
Send Wall a big mirror- they never lie

« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2018, 09:03:07 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Send Wall a big mirror- they never lie

TP

A ball for a wall also....ball don’t lie, either.

« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2018, 09:21:57 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I think Wall is what needs to be changed.

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2018, 06:56:24 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Some of these stars crack me up, they also want this or that instead of taking their game to the next level and never take any share of the blame for a team's woes.

« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2018, 09:12:25 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562
That Porter contract is brutal. I can't believe they gave him that. Nice player but not for that money.

That was an RFA tender match right?

Yea that contract is going to haunt them! They should have never matched that Porter isn't worth half that.
I honestly don't think it is that bad.  He is 24 and as a 3rd option averaged nearly 15 a game on 44.1% from 3, 53.7% from 2, and 82.8% from the line in under 32 mpg.  He plays well above average defense.  He generates a lot of steals, rebounds ok, doesn't turn the ball over, doesn't commit fouls, and is an ok passer.  He has gotten better every single one of his 5 years in the league. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2018, 09:26:17 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2983
I think Wall is what needs to be changed.

like Westbrook , not sure how much he makes everybody else better.

Wall does NOTHING that makes Smart so loved in Boston.   

« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2018, 09:29:56 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Yeah I don't get the Porter contract hate. He was clearly hurt in the playoffs and just couldn't give them much unfortunately to the point where he was eventually out for game 6.

The style that Wall/Beal play isn't conducive to a third option getting much. Especially when they're only getting 11 shots a game. Porter needs to be given more opportunity, and have more demanded from him.

Meanwhile Wall is whining about how his team mates do not properly understand the roles:
Our problem at a lot times is guys don’t understand their role and respect their role.
So I don't think Porter is going to get the chance to grow next to someone like that. Porter is so [dang] efficient he needs to get more touches if the Wizards want to become a contender, Wall has no intention of ceding his touches....
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 09:38:12 AM by Fafnir »

« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2018, 01:14:20 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2434
Wall's lack of improvement over the last few years has been very disappointing.

Even regressed when it comes to his defense. He played great D a few years ago back when they had Nene and Gortat starting together. 

I agree. Washington should look to trade Wall. That would be a good starting point for rebuilding that team. Wall hasn't put the work in to improve and he has a bad attitude for a team leader.

« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2018, 01:41:15 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 422
That team played better without Wall. Needs to look in the mirror.

They did well for a while but then fell apart without him towards the end.  The Wizards were 5-12 in their last 17 games without Wall.  They lost 7 of the last 8.  In principal you are right though. 

Their commitment to sharing the ball significantly increased without Wall.  I really like Bradley Beal's overall offensive game.  At only 24 years old he would be the ideal player for Washington to keep through a rebuild.  Unfortunately for them he is also the only player that could get them significant value in the trade market.  Not sure how they could move Wall's supermax deal.

I would definitely look to move Wall this offseason.  There should be a desperate GM that would be enticed by the Wall star power.  When his supermax money begins in 2019, he really won't be tradable.  Maybe to Suns for picks or Charlotte for Kemba.

To charlotter for a package built around Kemba makes some sense but Hornets would likely want to include a bad contract in the deal.

The Suns seems like a disaster that would only serve to stunt the development of Booker.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet