Author Topic: Marcus Smart  (Read 918 times)

Marcus Smart
« on: April 24, 2018, 10:40:28 AM »

Offline mysteryMrE

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 14
If I would have told you 6 months ago that the majority of Celtic nation would be freaking out about a Marcus Smart return in game 5 of the first round, what would you have said?

In all seriousness, though, I can't wait to see him back in uniform. He is just what the Celtics need to get back on track in this series.

Re: Marcus Smart
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 10:40:43 AM »

Offline mysteryMrE

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 14
Ignore (Double Post)

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 10:43:25 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
If you knew 6 months ago that Marcus would be hurt and would return for a game 5 then I would certainly be asking you for the powerball numbers. Can you give me the powerball numbers?

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 11:08:07 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
We have high hopes for his return for several reasons:

1. (most important IMO) His last return a couple of months ago triggered a sudden turnaround in the team's play, that many attributed to him returning, me included. His added value to the team was palpable.
2. We are very thin, due to injuries, in the back court, relying too heavily on Larkin for back up PG minutes.  Smart is our best remaining play maker and back court defender.
3. We need his toughness/edge.  You see a lot of physicality in the playoffs of late, and the refs for the most part are letting it go. 

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 11:22:34 AM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
I would say, "Of course."

Smart is a huge part of our team and his absence has only emphasized his value. Marcus Smart + Terry Rozier as a backcourt is loads better than Terry Rozier + Shane Larkin.

Don't get me wrong, Terry has never been an amazing facilitator--he's more of a go get your own kinda guy. He's really good at getting his own, but he's not gonna make other guys' lives easier. Smart, for all his shooting woes, knows where everyone should be on every possession and has the skills to distribute the ball. There's a reason we've had pick and roll synergy with Smart + Zeller, Smart + Sully, Smart + Baynes, Smart + Horford, and Smart + Theis.

So excited to have a smooth operator in the pick and roll this game. How many turnovers have we had when Terry/Larkin > Monroe PnR's are broken up?

Terry gets buckets.
Smart runs the offense. The offense (all 5 guys) gets buckets. 
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 11:30:18 AM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Smart is a floor leader, achieved not by words or by being appointed by management, but, through his play. Any player would want Smart on HIS team.

Of course, his addition is huge as the bench vs bench dynamic will change on the court.

The one thing that may be overlooked and it might be too "out there" to measure....Smart's effect on the Bucks.

Smart is the proverbial wild card. An opposing coach can't plan for him and what he brings, no one can.

"I'm just glad he plays for our team."

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 11:42:11 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
If I would have told you 6 months ago that the majority of Celtic nation would be freaking out about a Marcus Smart return in game 5 of the first round, what would you have said?

In all seriousness, though, I can't wait to see him back in uniform. He is just what the Celtics need to get back on track in this series.

Agreed.  Anytime he has been out the C's defensive rating has plummeted.  I hope his return sparks some energy and he can help on Middleton and Brogdon.