Despite their record, I really donít think they are the best team in the AL.
How would you define best team?
They've got the best record in MLB by 8 games over the second best team, the most runs scored in the majors, and the second fewest runs allowed. Their run differential is +69 on the Yankees.
I think they're unquestionably the best team in baseball. The best team doesn't always win, but the Sox are a great team.
agreed. for the bulk of the season so far, the red sox are clearly the best team in baseball. i do remind myself that seattle won 116 games not too long ago, and were bumped out of the playoffs without winning the world series. it's good to keep that in mind.
but clearly by any reasonable measurement, especially w/l, no other teams come very close to the sox in terms of success. here is part of a well researched post in SoSH where they discussed this very point. The evidence is really compelling:
...the on-field performance by the players...
Hitting (MLB rank):
- 1st in runs scored (600; next best is NYY and Hou at 564)
- 1st in average (.269; next best is ChC at .267)
- 3rd in on-base (.336; 1st is ChC at .345)
- 1st in slugging (.457; next best is NYY at .454)
- 1st in OPS (.794; next best is NYY at .784)
- 1st in total bases (1802; next best is NYY at 1705)
- 5th in HR (151; 1st is NYY at 175)
- 2nd in OPS+ (110; 1st is Hou at 113)
Baserunning (MLB rank):
- 2nd in stolen bases (87; 1st is Mil at 88)
- t1st in SB% (82.86%; tied with LAA)
- 6th in bases taken (126; 1st is LAD at 140)
Fielding (MLB rank):
- 9th in defensive efficiency (.699; 1st is Oak at .710)
- 5th in fielding % (.987; 1st is Ari at .990)
- 3rd in total runs above average (+42; 1st is ChC at +49)
Pitching (MLB rank):
- 2nd in runs allowed per game (3.62; 1st is Hou at 3.23)
- 2nd in ERA (3.43; 1st is Hou at 3.03)
- 2nd in FIP (3.57; 1st is Hou at 3.16)
- t1st in ERA+ (129; tied with Hou)
- 3rd in WHIP (1.198; 1st is Hou at 1.071)
- 3rd in k/9 (9.6; 1st is Hou at 10.6)
- 4th in starters ERA (3.49; 1st is Hou at 3.02)
- 4th in starters WHIP (1.18; 1st is Hou at 1.09)
- 2nd in starters k/9 (9.59; 1st is Hou at 10.46)
- 5th in relievers ERA (3.33; 1st is Hou at 3.07)
- 5th in relievers WHIP (1.24; 1st is Hou at 1.04)
- 6th in relievers k/9 (9.60; 1st is NYY at 11.54)
- 4th in save % (76.60%; 1st is Oak at 78.57%)
So what we have here is:
- The very best offense in all of baseball, in almost every way imaginable.
- A top-level base running team.
- Excellent defensive team (not elite, but excellent).
- And elite overall pitching staff, balanced between top 5 starting staff and top 5 bullpen.http://sonsofsamhorn.net/index.php?threads/this-is-the-best-red-sox-team-ever.24451/page-3