Author Topic: Michael Cohen pleads guilty. Implicates a "candidate" for federal office(Trump)  (Read 13997 times)

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 5898
Lanny Davis, Cohen's attorney was just asked if Cohen has information that Trump knew beforehand about the Trump Jr. meeting with Russians. Davis answered that due to attorney client privilege he couldn't answer that question. But he did say Cohen has information that would assist the special counsel's investigation. He then said he wouldn't call the information a smoking gun, that he would let others decide that when the info comes out.

Cohen definitely knows if collusion occurred, whether he has proof is another story.

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Just watched an hour of Fox News tonight. The mental gymnastics they are going through to downplay this Cohen plea deal and deflect blame from the president is Herculean. Also, they seem to think the Molly Tibbetts murder is a bigger political deal right now than the president being implicated in a felony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZlCYsFPyLY

;D
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 12:34:00 AM by Beat LA »

Offline Surferdad

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Just watched an hour of Fox News tonight. The mental gymnastics they are going through to downplay this Cohen plea deal and deflect blame from the president is Herculean. Also, they seem to think the Molly Tibbetts murder is a bigger political deal right now than the president being implicated in a felony.
TP for putting yourself through that, and also for reporting back on what those jokers said.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27456
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/08/22/attorney-cohen-has-incriminating-information-about-trump-791277
I saw that Lanny Davis interview live and reported on it above. Davis hinted that what Cohen has could be a smoking gun. He also said, the Attorney's Office of Southern NY have a paper trail of the money going from a Trump organization to the account used to give Stormy Daniel's her money to repay Cohen.

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 1123
  • What a Pub Should Be
Laughed at a tweet I saw yesterday that said "Bad day for witches".

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline mmmmm

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 626
Also of course I’d be very surprised if mueller would indict a sitting president. I’m almost certain any consequences for this are strictly political.

Political and perfectly timed for the mid-term elections to shift the balance of power and allow for impeachment. Republicans running this fall have to make a very tough choice. Continue to support a president who is looking more and more guilty as elections are set to take place, or come to their senses, be honest themselves, and hope for the best.

I would love to see the level headed Republicans stand up, take back their own party from the extremists, maintain their majority, impeach Trump themselves and run with Pence, a respectable President. Otherwise, the damage may be very long term for them

I concur with much of your sentiments expressed here, except I don't really see much to indicate Pence would be a respectable President.  He's very different from Trump, but in some ways just as bad.   Some of the ideology that he has expressed and uses as the basis for policy is nuts.   Which is worse to have as president?  A con-man or a fanatic?

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

Offline mmmmm

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 626
I do not care for Trump as a human. I will take a wait and see approach to his tenure as prez to see if he changes the way our gov does business for the better. The bar has been set really low.

Eisenhower told us to beware of the Military Industrial Complex (tool of the Deep State) in the 50’s. This is not a Trump made topic or concept by any stretch.

Is there any decent percentage of our elected officials that are not criminals of the highest order?

I am fascinated by the pass being given to the work done by our government over the last 100 years. Too many people are acting like they have been doing a great job compared to our current leadership. News flash its been a joke for 100 years. Murderers, theives and treasonous despicable behavior is all we have from our past presidents and elected officials.

Where was all the complaining and finger pointing for the last several decades?

Just to get a feel for some of this check out “Confessions of an economic hitman” by John Perkins. It will open your eyes if you are interested in truth and facts about our governments participation in crazy criminal activity. Its a good place to start but there is no shortage of info on this subject.
So, forget about Trump for a second...are you saying we should all let it go, and never implicate our elected officials in any crime?  That's the definition of 'above the law'.

By the way, I see it was your first post:  Welcome to CB forums where politics is the sport of the off-season.

Hey thanks for the warm welcome! Posted here way way back in the early days but before one of the purges. So I guess its a welcome back.

Definately not suggesting we let it all go and appreciate that you said “forget about Trump for a second” because that is an important exercise. Im confident(and saddened) that with enough effort we could find dispicable behavior and criminal activity behind anyone powerful enough to get to the White House.

What I dont want is a return to regular business if/when Trump is removed. IMO our governments idea of regular business has been and is a complete failure. Its so bad that I have found myself rooting in a sense for Trump despite how I feel about him as a person. Hoping against hope that he could effect some change in the nature of our governments behaviors being that he wasnt politically indoctrinated to “the process”

I cant understand why we havent been this upset about our leadership all along. All of a sudden we are concerned that our president is likely a criminal?

Im glad everyone is finally ticked off. Ive been mad for 30 plus years about it. I just hope we place the same level of scrutiny and rightousness on all of our elected officials and begin to demand that our leadership gets their collective you know what together.

Despite all the noise it still feels like dumping Trump would lead right back to the belly of the beast for us regular folk and our country. Hoping against hope again that I am wrong.

Cant wait for what I hope will be a glorious Celtic’s season to start for a much needed distraction.

Much of this seems like falling into the trap of false equivalency.   The blanket assumption that all political leaders must be bad.   That they are not different from each other.  One is no better or worse than the other.

That impression is the result of years and years of negative politics.   But it isn't necessarily true and it is important that we do not let political fatigue lead to resignation and acceptance of a false equivalency.  Because that road leads to injustice.   

Each case must be evaluated for what it is based on the facts.   Each policy should be evaluated based on it's merits, independent of the personalities that are for or against it.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

Offline fairweatherfan

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 2172
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/08/22/attorney-cohen-has-incriminating-information-about-trump-791277
I saw that Lanny Davis interview live and reported on it above. Davis hinted that what Cohen has could be a smoking gun. He also said, the Attorney's Office of Southern NY have a paper trail of the money going from a Trump organization to the account used to give Stormy Daniel's her money to repay Cohen.

I have to believe Mueller would be reaching out to Cohen already if he thought he had useful evidence. He doesn't need to watch TV to make that decision. So this seems like a PR thing more than anything. Cohen may have seen a lot of things but if he doesn't have solid proof the eyewitness testimony of an admitted felon trying to get a reduced sentence isn't going to go far. We'll see, I suppose.

So Trump is online today claiming that the campaign finance felonies Cohen pled guilty to aren't actually crimes (yeah we're in the "crimes aren't crimes" stage), and praising Manafort for refusing to turn evidence.  There are posters on this site who are still upset about Carmelo Anthony briefly appearing in a "Stop Snitching" video 15 years ago. Odds that any of them care much about the President of the United States expressing the same attitude toward "snitching" that could personally implicate him?

Offline fairweatherfan

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 2172
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I do not care for Trump as a human. I will take a wait and see approach to his tenure as prez to see if he changes the way our gov does business for the better. The bar has been set really low.

Eisenhower told us to beware of the Military Industrial Complex (tool of the Deep State) in the 50’s. This is not a Trump made topic or concept by any stretch.

Is there any decent percentage of our elected officials that are not criminals of the highest order?

I am fascinated by the pass being given to the work done by our government over the last 100 years. Too many people are acting like they have been doing a great job compared to our current leadership. News flash its been a joke for 100 years. Murderers, theives and treasonous despicable behavior is all we have from our past presidents and elected officials.

Just to get a feel for some of this check out “Confessions of an economic hitman” by John Perkins. It will open your eyes if you are interested in truth and facts about our governments participation in crazy criminal activity. Its a good place to start but there is no shortage of info on this subject.
So, forget about Trump for a second...are you saying we should all let it go, and never implicate our elected officials in any crime?  That's the definition of 'above the law'.

By the way, I see it was your first post:  Welcome to CB forums where politics is the sport of the off-season.

Hey thanks for the warm welcome! Posted here way way back in the early days but before one of the purges. So I guess its a welcome back.

Definately not suggesting we let it all go and appreciate that you said “forget about Trump for a second” because that is an important exercise. Im confident(and saddened) that with enough effort we could find dispicable behavior and criminal activity behind anyone powerful enough to get to the White House.

What I dont want is a return to regular business if/when Trump is removed. IMO our governments idea of regular business has been and is a complete failure. Its so bad that I have found myself rooting in a sense for Trump despite how I feel about him as a person. Hoping against hope that he could effect some change in the nature of our governments behaviors being that he wasnt politically indoctrinated to “the process”

I cant understand why we havent been this upset about our leadership all along. All of a sudden we are concerned that our president is likely a criminal?

Im glad everyone is finally ticked off. Ive been mad for 30 plus years about it. I just hope we place the same level of scrutiny and rightousness on all of our elected officials and begin to demand that our leadership gets their collective you know what together.

Despite all the noise it still feels like dumping Trump would lead right back to the belly of the beast for us regular folk and our country. Hoping against hope again that I am wrong.

Cant wait for what I hope will be a glorious Celtic’s season to start for a much needed distraction.

Much of this seems like falling into the trap of false equivalency.   The blanket assumption that all political leaders must be bad.   That they are not different from each other.  One is no better or worse than the other.

That impression is the result of years and years of negative politics.   But it isn't necessarily true and it is important that we do not let political fatigue lead to resignation and acceptance of a false equivalency.  Because that road leads to injustice.   

Each case must be evaluated for what it is based on the facts.   Each policy should be evaluated based on it's merits, independent of the personalities that are for or against it.

If there's one non-partisan conclusion from the last several months, it's that we need to give far more attention to investigating white-collar crimes by well-connected people.  Cohen & Manafort had been doing this stuff for years, and probably never would've gotten caught if they didn't have the bad luck of the guy they worked for becoming President. Maybe not even if Trump hadn't been dumb enough to fire Comey and announce it was because of Russia.

Perversely, by embodying corruption and cronyism, the Trump admin might lead to a lot of swamp draining in the end. But we need to push for leaders who propose real, tangible action that could reduce corruption and suss out more of these crimes.

Offline Cman

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 88

If there's one non-partisan conclusion from the last several months, it's that we need to give far more attention to investigating white-collar crimes by well-connected people.  Cohen & Manafort had been doing this stuff for years, and probably never would've gotten caught if they didn't have the bad luck of the guy they worked for becoming President. Maybe not even if Trump hadn't been dumb enough to fire Comey and announce it was because of Russia.

Perversely, by embodying corruption and cronyism, the Trump admin might lead to a lot of swamp draining in the end. But we need to push for leaders who propose real, tangible action that could reduce corruption and suss out more of these crimes.

TP. Great points.
Celtics fan for life.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27456
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
So Trump is online today claiming that the campaign finance felonies Cohen pled guilty to aren't actually crimes (yeah we're in the "crimes aren't crimes" stage),

I mean, it’s possible. One plausible possibility: prosecutors have Cohen dead to rights on financial crimes. The campaign finance issues are weaker. The prosecution offers two options: plea to just the financial crimes and receive a 6 year recommendation, or plead to both the financial crimes and the Trump charge, and get a 5 year recommendation. (Sentences are purely hypothetical).

Stuff like that sounds counter-intuitive, but it happens frequently.  In such scenarios, you have Defendants who may plea on charges that they didn’t do / can’t be convicted on simply because it’s in their best interests to do so.

So, Cohen pleading guilty doesn’t necessarily even mean that a crime was in fact committed.

But, that defense isn’t likely to play well in the world of public opinion.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

Offline hpantazo

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 636

That type of leader sounds like Elizabeth Warren. Unfortunately I don’t think she has a realistic chance at winning a general election

Offline slamtheking

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 9079

That type of leader sounds like Elizabeth Warren. Unfortunately I don’t think she has a realistic chance at winning a general election
I agree.  she's well-known on her stance and actions about financial hustlers out to play fast and loose with other people's money.  I still don't get the dislike for her.  I know it's been mentioned here by several people they don't like her but the only reason I've heard is the old reference to her claimed heritage.  (based on other posts by those same people, they're pretty conservative in their political views) Considering the pure unadulterated filth that is Donald Trump, that's a pretty minute issue to hang someone's hat on for not voting for her over Trump if it came to that in a general election.

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
So Trump is online today claiming that the campaign finance felonies Cohen pled guilty to aren't actually crimes (yeah we're in the "crimes aren't crimes" stage),

I mean, it’s possible. One plausible possibility: prosecutors have Cohen dead to rights on financial crimes. The campaign finance issues are weaker. The prosecution offers two options: plea to just the financial crimes and receive a 6 year recommendation, or plead to both the financial crimes and the Trump charge, and get a 5 year recommendation. (Sentences are purely hypothetical).

Stuff like that sounds counter-intuitive, but it happens frequently.  In such scenarios, you have Defendants who may plea on charges that they didn’t do / can’t be convicted on simply because it’s in their best interests to do so.

So, Cohen pleading guilty doesn’t necessarily even mean that a crime was in fact committed.

But, that defense isn’t likely to play well in the world of public opinion.
Possible? I guess. Probable? Not likely. What is most likely is the US Attorney has a paper trail proving the whole thing.

Hello! Guest

Welcome to the CelticsStrong Forums.

Community

Signup to win FREE tickets

* indicates required