Author Topic: Michael Cohen pleads guilty. Implicates a "candidate" for federal office(Trump)  (Read 15167 times)

Online nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 6045
Not sure if it merits its own thread, at least until it happens, but Cohen is reportedly in the process of making a plea deal for counts including tax and banking fraud. The plea may be made as soon as today.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-courts/ex-trump-lawyer-michael-cohen-discussing-plea-deal-prosecutors-n902571

The import of this won't be known til more specifics come out, so there's no indication of whether there are more charges to come, if he's providing more evidence against Trump or not, etc. But it's a big development, and would be yet another financial criminal closely linked to a President who won't disclose his finances.
If Cohen has tape on Trump or information that corroborates anything McGahn says, Trump will be in a world of trouble. 2 lawyers flipping on him is not a good look.
tbh, I'd be surprised if their information/testimony overlapped much.  I would anticipate Trump discussing very different topics with each of them. 
McGahn: Govt-focused discussion revolving around how to stop Mueller and pardoning rights.
Cohen: Discussions about his business dealings and possibly about the campaign.
I think both could have knowledge of if Trump knew beforehand the reason behind the Russian meeting with Trump Jr.

Offline slamtheking

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 9118
Not sure if it merits its own thread, at least until it happens, but Cohen is reportedly in the process of making a plea deal for counts including tax and banking fraud. The plea may be made as soon as today.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-courts/ex-trump-lawyer-michael-cohen-discussing-plea-deal-prosecutors-n902571

The import of this won't be known til more specifics come out, so there's no indication of whether there are more charges to come, if he's providing more evidence against Trump or not, etc. But it's a big development, and would be yet another financial criminal closely linked to a President who won't disclose his finances.
If Cohen has tape on Trump or information that corroborates anything McGahn says, Trump will be in a world of trouble. 2 lawyers flipping on him is not a good look.
tbh, I'd be surprised if their information/testimony overlapped much.  I would anticipate Trump discussing very different topics with each of them. 
McGahn: Govt-focused discussion revolving around how to stop Mueller and pardoning rights.
I think both could have knowledge of if Trump knew beforehand the reason behind the Russian meeting with Trump Jr.
bear with my ignorance on that but would Trump have had access to McGahn to discuss the meeting prior to it happening or are you stating he talked about it after the fact with McGahn and admitting it was not on the up and up?

Offline slamtheking

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 9118

The question is, did Trump use McGahn appropriately -- i.e., discussing the legality of his goals, etc. -- or did he trample all over McGahn's advice?  And then there's the grey area (which happens all the time):  rejecting your attorney's initial advice (explicitly or implicitly), and instructing him to find a legal basis for your actions, no matter how flimsy.

I just assume everything with Cohen is sleazy.  Why else go to Cohen in the first place?  It's not like he was one of NYC's best lawyers.
thanks for the insight.  I would suspect it's the latter case with McGahn.   Trump marches to the beat of his own drummer and by all appearances expects those around him to conform to his version of the world.

completely agree on Cohen.  Only reason to affiliate with someone like that is that you're just as scummy as he is and need/want the services of someone who's willing to not follow the rule of law (to put it mildly).

Offline fairweatherfan

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 2190
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
He is in fact pleading today at about 4 PM. Already at the courthouse.

EDIT: NYT says this plea is related to payments to women on Trump's behalf. It's a very brief article but it looks like this is not the shady business loan and taxi stufft, just probably some form of bank fraud related to the payoffs? Maybe that mortgage he supposedly took out to pay it?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/21/nyregion/michael-cohen-plea-deal-trump.html

EDIT EDIT: Now up to tax fraud, banking fraud and campaign finance violations, but reportedly the deal does not involve Cohen cooperating with prosecutors.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 02:50:19 PM by fairweatherfan »

Online nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith

bear with my ignorance on that but would Trump have had access to McGahn to discuss the meeting prior to it happening or are you stating he talked about it after the fact with McGahn and admitting it was not on the up and up?
The latter as the story came out after he was in office and McGahn might have asked him what he knew to do what he could to protect the office of the presidency.

Online nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
He is in fact pleading today at about 4 PM. Already at the courthouse.

EDIT: NYT says this plea is related to payments to women on Trump's behalf. It's a very brief article but it looks like this is not the shady business loan and taxi stufft, just probably some form of bank fraud related to the payoffs? Maybe that mortgage he supposedly took out to pay it?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/21/nyregion/michael-cohen-plea-deal-trump.html

EDIT EDIT: Now up to tax fraud, banking fraud and campaign finance violations, but reportedly the deal does not involve Cohen cooperating with prosecutors.
Looks like he won't be cooperating with the special counsel.

Offline Cman

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 88
I'm not trying to make a political statement, but couldn't resist sticking this in this particular thread...

Celtics fan for life.

Offline fairweatherfan

• Bill Sharman
So all in one day:

- Trump's personal lawyer pleads guilty to multiple felonies and will do jail time.
- His campaign manager's trial on 18 felony counts appears to be approaching a verdict, based in large part on the testimony of his deputy campaign manager
- His National Security Advisor's sentencing hearing for the felony he pled guilty to was pushed back at the request of prosecutors.

And last week prosecutors made sentencing recommendations for his foreign policy aide (Papadopoulus).

Policy and personality differences aside, how on Earth there are still people who see this man as a crusader against corruption completely escapes me. Maybe that's why so many increasingly contrived narratives about secret corruption fighting like the Q stuff keep popping up.

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1192
So all in one day:

- Trump's personal lawyer pleads guilty to multiple felonies and will do jail time.
- His campaign manager's trial on 18 felony counts appears to be approaching a verdict, based in large part on the testimony of his deputy campaign manager
- His National Security Advisor's sentencing hearing for the felony he pled guilty to was pushed back at the request of prosecutors.

And last week prosecutors made sentencing recommendations for his foreign policy aide (Papadopoulus).

Policy and personality differences aside, how on Earth there are still people who see this man as a crusader against corruption completely escapes me. Maybe that's why so many increasingly contrived narratives about secret corruption fighting like the Q stuff keep popping up.

And yet none of this has to do with collusion with Russia.......

This is about the deep state/elites going after anyone  who worked with Trump or helped him get elected. They are trying to send a message for any outsider who decides to run for president in the future.....

Offline heyvik

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
So all in one day:

This is about the deep state/elites going after anyone  who worked with Trump or helped him get elected. They are trying to send a message for any outsider who decides to run for president in the future.....

Is this what most of Trump voters think? Do you have any proof of this - meaning links? And why do you think, or anyone else like you, is their ultimate motivation for sending a message to any other outsider? Did you think there was a deep state before Trump got elected?

Offline fairweatherfan

• Bill Sharman
So all in one day:

I don't really care about your magic word. But I am very interested to hear how the deep state forced Trump to hire and work closely with all these felons. And the RNC, who hired Cohen as deputy finance chair.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 04:37:15 PM by fairweatherfan »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 613
  • Puns of steel
So all in one day:

I don't really care about your magic word. But I am very interested to hear how the deep state forced Trump to hire and work closely with all these felons. And the RNC, who hired Cohen as deputy finance chair.

guilty for 8 of those counts. 10 of them mistrialed. he's looking at 80+ years of jailtime. (and up to 305+ years if he's guilty of the other 10)
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Baynes, Irving, Tatum, Horford, Morris, Sleepy Williams

Anti:
Jabari Bird, Rozier, Yabu, Semi, Theis, Hayward

Offline fairweatherfan

• Bill Sharman
So all in one day:

guilty for 8 of those counts. 10 of them mistrialed. he's looking at 80+ years of jailtime.

That's the other felon Trump hired. Easy to get them mixed up though.

EDIT: Haha Cohen pleaded to 8 too, looks like. No mistrials though.  But seems like a lucky number today.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 04:56:16 PM by fairweatherfan »

Offline Tereve Nam

• Brad Wanamaker
  • Tommy Points: 57
I do not care for Trump as a human. I will take a wait and see approach to his tenure as prez to see if he changes the way our gov does business for the better. The bar has been set really low.

Eisenhower told us to beware of the Military Industrial Complex (tool of the Deep State) in the 50’s. This is not a Trump made topic or concept by any stretch.

Is there any decent percentage of our elected officials that are not criminals of the highest order?

I am fascinated by the pass being given to the work done by our government over the last 100 years. Too many people are acting like they have been doing a great job compared to our current leadership. News flash its been a joke for 100 years. Murderers, theives and treasonous despicable behavior is all we have from our past presidents and elected officials.

Where was all the complaining and finger pointing for the last several decades?

Just to get a feel for some of this check out “Confessions of an economic hitman” by John Perkins. It will open your eyes if you are interested in truth and facts about our governments participation in crazy criminal activity. Its a good place to start but there is no shortage of info on this subject.
“Do what you want to” - Slomo

C’s go up by 41 against the Knicks
Tommy: “Are we having fun yet?”
Mike G: “Oh we passed fun a long time ago. If you had the Knicks plus 40 you just lost your bet”

Offline fairweatherfan

• Bill Sharman
Hoo boy, Cohen says he committed campaign finance violations in 2016 in coordination with and at the direction of an unnamed "candidate". First direct link of a crime to Trump at one of these trials.

Feels like we're halfway through the "Layla" arrest montage scene of Goodfellas right now.

Hello! Guest

Welcome to the CelticsStrong Forums.

Community

Signup to win FREE tickets

* indicates required