Author Topic: Michael Cohen pleads guilty. Implicates a "candidate" for federal office(Trump)  (Read 15246 times)

Offline blink

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 588
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/09/us/politics/fbi-raids-office-of-trumps-longtime-lawyer-michael-cohen.html

So yesterday the FBI raided the office / home / hotel of Michael Cohen, Trump's long time lawyer.  Trump is reportedly livid and sees it at a personal attack and seems to be coming a bit unhinged at the news.

In addition, it is being reported on CNN that Trump is considering firing Rosenstein (at least partially in response to the raid on Cohen), the deputy attorney general, who is currently in charge of Mueller's russia investigation.  This feels like a turning point.  If Trump fires Rosenstein, there will be a whole lot of backlash.  If Trump replaces Rosenstein with someone who is willing to fire Robert Mueller, we are heading to a constitutional crisis.

[url=https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/10/politics/trump-rod-rosenstein-robert-mueller/index.html]https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/10/politics/trump-rod-rosenstein-robert-mueller/index.html][url=https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/10/politics/trump-rod-rosenstein-robert-mueller/index.html]https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/10/politics/trump-rod-rosenstein-robert-mueller/index.html]https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/10/politics/trump-rod-rosenstein-robert-mueller/index.html][url]https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/10/politics/trump-rod-rosenstein-robert-mueller/index.html]https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/10/politics/trump-rod-rosenstein-robert-mueller/index.html]https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/10/politics/trump-rod-rosenstein-robert-mueller/index.html]https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/10/politics/trump-rod-rosenstein-robert-mueller/index.html][url]https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/10/politics/trump-rod-rosenstein-robert-mueller/index.html[/url]

Even GOP members of congress are warning Trump not to try and fire Mueller.  Even super conservative Chuck Grassley (from Iowa, where I am originally from) is telling Trump it would be 'political suicide' to fire Mueller.
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/382438-grassley-it-would-be-suicide-for-trump-to-fire-mueller

Sarah Sanders today in a press conference, stated that the President has been 'advised' that he can directly fire Mueller if he so chooses.  This goes against almost every expert I have seen who have stated that it is only Rosenstein that has that ability.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/04/10/trump-mueller-firing-power-special-counsel-512399

Just a crap storm of news, and tough to keep up with.  Seems like this is all going to get a lot worse before it gets better. 
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 01:03:17 PM by Redz »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27398
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
The special counsel appointment is a very dangerous thing. Giving a prosecutor unlimited resources and power to dig into somebodyís background is irresponsible at best, and violates the Constitution at worst.  Thatís especially true when thereís no oversight or real check on power.

If Cohenís office was raided due to potential campaign finance violations related to Trumpís extramarital affairs, that has absolutely zero to do with collusion with Russia. If Rosenstein isnít reigning that in, ive got no problem with him being fired.

I donít know much about the history of the special counsel and the propriety of its use under Nixon, but in terms of due process Iíve been disgusted by the fishing expedition that both Ken Starr and Mueller have been allowed to undertake.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I swear, working for this "administration" be like -

https://gifrific.com/abe-simpson-walks-in-and-turns-around/

Offline blink

• Satch Sanders
So even more news that Trump wanted to fire Mueller to stop the investigation in December:   "in no uncertain terms that Mr. Muellerís investigation had to be shut down"....oh man. 

But most of the house and senate Republicans just shrug and say oh he won't fire Mueller and scoff at providing any legislative protection for Mueller. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/10/us/politics/trump-sought-to-fire-mueller-in-december.html
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 07:55:28 PM by blink »

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 6055
The special counsel appointment is a very dangerous thing. Giving a prosecutor unlimited resources and power to dig into somebodyís background is irresponsible at best, and violates the Constitution at worst.  Thatís especially true when thereís no oversight or real check on power.

If Cohenís office was raided due to potential campaign finance violations related to Trumpís extramarital affairs, that has absolutely zero to do with collusion with Russia. If Rosenstein isnít reigning that in, ive got no problem with him being fired.

I donít know much about the history of the special counsel and the propriety of its use under Nixon, but in terms of due process Iíve been disgusted by the fishing expedition that both Ken Starr and Mueller have been allowed to undertake.
But if in the process of investigating the Russian collusion the special counsel uncovers something that needs further investigation that has nothing to do with the original investigation, he has a duty to report it to the Attourney General, or in this case, Assistant AG, and have them determine what to do.

From what I have read, this is what Mueller did. Rosenstein then forwarded the info to the Southern NY office of the FBI who proceeded with the investigation from there.

I don't see, if this is what happened, what there is to be upset about unless the Special Counsel purposely went looking somewhere they shouldn't have, doing everything possible to nab the president in a partisan fueled hit job. That simply isn't Mueller's history.

I think the more likely scenario is Trump is very dirty and has surrounded himself with dirty people and has left a long trail of evidence proving thus and that Mueller is uncovering it.

Online liam

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1110

I don't believe that Mueller raided Trump's office. I believe that it was the FBI with a warrant from a judge.

Online liam

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1110

But if in the process of investigating the Russian collusion the special counsel uncovers something that needs further investigation that has nothing to do with the original investigation, he has a duty to report it to the Attourney General, or in this case, Assistant AG, and have them determine what to do.

From what I have read, this is what Mueller did. Rosenstein then forwarded the info to the Southern NY office of the FBI who proceeded with the investigation from there.

I don't see, if this is what happened, what there is to be upset about unless the Special Counsel purposely went looking somewhere they shouldn't have, doing everything possible to nab the president in a partisan fueled hit job. That simply isn't Mueller's history.

I think the more likely scenario is Trump is very dirty and has surrounded himself with dirty people and has left a long trail of evidence proving thus and that Mueller is uncovering it.

Well said.

Offline blink

• Satch Sanders

I agree with you 100%.  I would add, it is literally impossible for any of us to know if Mueller or Rosenstein are following the rules or not.  But we do have a choice of who we believe.  Do we believe Robert Mueller, widely regarded as the biggest straight arrow by the book FBI man pretty much ever, or do we believe our current president, know mainly for how many untruths he can tweet at one time.

Also, Robert Mueller is a Republican!  How can this be a partisan fueled hit job (i know you don't think it is, but the president wants us to believe that) when everyone involved in the decisions to investigate him are republicans.

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428

Well said and tp

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2485
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
There is an interesting backstory to this;

Cohen has not traditionally played the role that a lawyer should play in Trumpís life. Heís been more of a closer/fixer/deal maker. He started his new firm once Trump became President with the aim of only having one client. Donald Trump.

The reason Mr Cohen started this firm was to add buffers between Trump and the dirt from his past that Cohen himself knew. He could now hide behind attorney client privilege.

Or maybe that was the plan. Mr Cohen has surely not been an actual lawyer to Trump. I wonder if his walls will hold.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Offline blink

• Satch Sanders
There is an interesting backstory to this;

Cohen has not traditionally played the role that a lawyer should play in Trumpís life. Heís been more of a closer/fixer/deal maker. He started his new firm once Trump became President with the aim of only having one client. Donald Trump.

The reason Mr Cohen started this firm was to add buffers between Trump and the dirt from his past that Cohen himself knew. He could now hide behind attorney client privilege.

Or maybe that was the plan. Mr Cohen has surely not been an actual lawyer to Trump. I wonder if his walls will hold.

Well he can't hide behind attorney client privilege for the stormy daniels thing.   Trump claims to not know anything about anything regarding stormy.  Cohen can't claim privilege for something his client knows nothing about...

I think Cohen is in a world of trouble.  The FBI doesn't raid the office / home / hotel of the president's lawyer unless there's a mountain of evidence of criminal wrong doing.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 12:34:00 AM by blink »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 2190
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Yeah, there's a broader argument about the open-ended nature of the scope give to Mueller (that ii. seems like a doozy), but the scope exists, is legally valid and probable cause of a crime appears to have been found. Hard to claim the crime should be ignored or that even referring it for investigation deserves punishment.

We also have no way of knowing if there was relevance to the Russia case or not - much of the investigation appears to be revolving around money laundering, and Cohen was a major figure in the Steele dossier. Time will tell. Also, underreported fact that may matter a whole lot or not at all - Cohen's also Deputy Finance Chair of the RNC.

It's a big mess, but at the end of the day we can all at least be grateful we didn't wind up electing the corrupt candidate.

Offline blink

• Satch Sanders
So now it has been confirmed that Cohen is now officially under criminal investigation....
Cohen and Trump are in a lot of trouble. 

There are also reports that Cohen had tapes that might have been taken in the FBI raid, and that people on the Trump campaign knew that Cohen taped people during the 2016 campaign.

Also there is news that Cohen negotiated a 1.6 million dollar payoff to a playboy playmate that Elliot Broidy (finance chairman of the Republican National Committee) reportedly got pregnant.  Broidy then resigned from the RNC today.

Then while on CNN, the RNC chair Ronna Romney McDaniel won't answer directly whether Michael Cohen is still a National Deputy Chairman.   Stunning huh?

Is there no end to this madness and slime? 

http://abcnews.go.com/US/trump-lawyer-michael-cohen-criminal-investigation/story?id=54450757

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/04/trump-lawyer-michael-cohen-routinely-taped-conversations-which-is-a-problem-for-the-president.html

http://www.businessinsider.com/michael-cohen-payment-elliott-broidy-trump-playboy-model-2018-4
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 04:54:54 PM by blink »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 2190
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Also there is news that Cohen negotiated a 1.6 million dollar payoff to a playboy playmate that Elliot Broidy (finance chairman of the Republican National Committee) reportedly got pregnant.  Broidy then resigned from the RNC today.

Revisiting this, there's an ongoing court fight about attorney-client privilege's role in the investigation, and one prong is the argument that Cohen isn't really operating as an attorney these days. 

Cohen's team is arguing he is, citing 3 recent clients - Trump (for the Stormy Daniels + Karen McDougal payoffs), Broidy (for the above mentioned hush money/abortion compensation to an unnamed woman), and a 3rd client they fought against identifying.

The judge just ordered them to reveal that 3rd client's name in public session, and it turns out to be....Sean Hannity. Who of course has been vehemently criticizing the raid and smearing the investigators on his Fox shows, without mentioning his own personal involvement with Cohen.

What a tangled web we weave.

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 1154
  • What a Pub Should Be
The SNL skit the other night with DeNiro/Stiller doing Mueller/Cohen was pure gold.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Hello! Guest

Welcome to the CelticsStrong Forums.

Community

Signup to win FREE tickets

* indicates required