Author Topic: How high of a pick could this package get us?  (Read 2102 times)

Re: How high of a pick could this package get us?
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2018, 01:55:41 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I would be willing to offer Rozier, Sac pick and Bos/Clipper pick.  Plus some 2nd round filler.

I also would expect it to be turned down.

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2018, 01:57:26 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I know nothing of Ayton but I'm not trading any of our core guys. I do however agree with making a move to get our future big if that player is in the draft. I'm still fantasizing the Fakers pick falls in the top 2-3 and I don't want buzz kill yet lol.

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2018, 02:24:58 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Obviously, a lot depends on the draft order and who the trading partner will be if Ayton is there. If it's Phoenix, then I don't think that package does as much to help them out as Ayton would. Let's not forget, Philadelphia traded a #2 overall pick and a pick that could land between 2 and 5 in this year's draft, just for the right to move up one spot.

I think you have to slightly discount Jaylen and Rozier's trade value, simply because they will have less years under their rookie deals, as Ayton would. Also, the Clippers and Memphis picks have little value at this point because of the total unknown of where those picks might land.

Besides, I'm not sure either team would make that deal anyways. With veteran players like Al, Kyrie, and Gordon, their elite years are now and shouldn't be wasted in waiting for another young player to develop. I also think it takes a little longer for big men to establish themselves in the league, so that would only make the process even longer.

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2018, 02:42:04 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Obviously, a lot depends on the draft order and who the trading partner will be if Ayton is there. If it's Phoenix, then I don't think that package does as much to help them out as Ayton would. Let's not forget, Philadelphia traded a #2 overall pick and a pick that could land between 2 and 5 in this year's draft, just for the right to move up one spot.

I think you have to slightly discount Jaylen and Rozier's trade value, simply because they will have less years under their rookie deals, as Ayton would. Also, the Clippers and Memphis picks have little value at this point because of the total unknown of where those picks might land.

Besides, I'm not sure either team would make that deal anyways. With veteran players like Al, Kyrie, and Gordon, their elite years are now and shouldn't be wasted in waiting for another young player to develop. I also think it takes a little longer for big men to establish themselves in the league, so that would only make the process even longer.

Philly had the #3 pick  ;)

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2018, 03:13:31 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Brown at his current age and skill level would be a very high pick in this draft.

I don't think he'd match his original draft number. In order to get your same number 2 years later you have to be *really* strong (like Ben Simmons would get the #1 pick for sure and Tatum would get #3 -- probably even #1). Draft picks are the most expensive assets in the NBA due to the cost structure. The most recent example is Love for #1 pick. This was when Love was a top 10 player and there was a conversation if he was worth it. Of course with LeBron coming they didn't mind overpaying and the transaction was a win-win for both teams at the time.

He might be worth a low lottery pick right now to a team on the rise like the Knicks, Hornets, etc. The only shot at a high lotto pick is Memphis because they're not really a lottery team.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 03:21:39 PM by Erik »

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2018, 03:19:09 PM »

Online green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Why do I torture my soul by reading these forums?

I like these types of posts generally. I like that this one undervalues our assets. Usually I'll read something like: Shane Larkin and Yabusele for Anthony Davis.

I agree that this scenario is an overpay. That SAC pick is valuable. Jaylen Brown is valuable. Rozier and the other picks are Nice-ish pieces.

I don't think that Ayton is David Robinson. I do think he can be a good center in this league though. I also think Brown will be a good player. Both top 25 players.

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2018, 03:22:39 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
Only guy in this draft for whom I would entertain that kind of package is Luka.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2018, 04:37:21 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I would be willing to offer Rozier, Sac pick and Bos/Clipper pick.  Plus some 2nd round filler.

That is a trade I would definitely do. But I can’t see a team with the 1 pick taking it. I think that pick *might* get you somewhere in the 8-10 range. Maybe. Problem is only one year of rookie Rozier, then he gets expensive and he’s only a good not great player. Plus you can’t know where Sacto pick lands *and* you give up a year of selling your crummy team to fans based on the potential of a young superstar.

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2018, 04:52:25 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
If we were to put together the below package, how high do you think it could get us in this year's draft? Could it get us Ayton?

Jaylen
Rozier
SAC 18
Memphis pick
Any other picks we could add (no other really good ones)
Any of Yabu, Semi, Theis, Larkin, Bird etc..

This package would get you a new office on the street outside of Causeway Street because you would be fired for giving up too much.  Jaylen is not going to be traded for a unproven rookie.

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2018, 05:09:03 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Tatum straight up could get #1 IMO (not that this would ever be a good idea lol)

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2018, 05:13:01 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
The only way we wind up with Ayton is if the LAL pick falls on 2 or 3. End of discussion. DA will not trade for him, nor should he try, especially with the asking price being off the charts (just assuming). It'd be nice to have a talented big but we are looking good, health permitting, for the near future with picks and players to trade for almost any (available) player in the league. Trust the process lol.

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2018, 09:48:01 AM »

Offline mutineer33

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 13
If we were to put together the below package, how high do you think it could get us in this year's draft? Could it get us Ayton?

Jaylen
Rozier
SAC 18
Memphis pick
Any other picks we could add (no other really good ones)
Any of Yabu, Semi, Theis, Larkin, Bird etc..

Goal - Ayton

2018 Lineup
Kyrie
Hayward
Tatum
Hortford
Ayton

What a lineup!

I don't mean to be rude. But this is just dumb.  When will supposed Celtics fans learn to appreciate what they have rather than chasing after the "next big thing".   Smh.