Author Topic: Government Shutdown  (Read 7591 times)

Re: Government Shutdown
« Reply #135 on: January 23, 2018, 10:14:14 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27476
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
An heir has never been taxed on the inheritance he receives.

This simply isnít true.
TomHeinsohn can correct me if I am wrong but I think what he is saying is that the heir him/herself is only being taxed once.

I have no idea what heís attempting to say, but his statement is wrong.

Heirs get taxed via inheritance taxes; estates get taxed via the estate tax. Thereís no Federal inheritance tax, but some states have it. There is a Federal estate tax, which reduces the value of an inheritance through taxes.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #136 on: January 24, 2018, 10:34:07 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1198
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/24/politics/donald-trump-chuck-schumer-border-wall/index.html

President Donald Trump blasted Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer's decision to pull a border wall from negotiations over the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, saying a wall is required as part of any potential deal.

"Cryin' Chuck Schumer fully understands, especially after his humiliating defeat, that if there is no Wall, there is no DACA. We must have safety and security, together with a strong Military, for our great people!" the President tweeted Tuesday night.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/956015565776277510

Let me just get this straight. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Pres. Trump PROMISED that a wall will be built and Mexico is paying for it. Now he's using it to hold a DACA deal hostage unless it's get funded by our taxes?

"The Boston Celtics are not a basketball team, they are a way of life."

- Red

« Reply #137 on: January 24, 2018, 02:28:35 PM »

Online nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 5871
https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/24/politics/donald-trump-chuck-schumer-border-wall/index.html

President Donald Trump blasted Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer's decision to pull a border wall from negotiations over the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, saying a wall is required as part of any potential deal.

"Cryin' Chuck Schumer fully understands, especially after his humiliating defeat, that if there is no Wall, there is no DACA. We must have safety and security, together with a strong Military, for our great people!" the President tweeted Tuesday night.

Pres. Trump PROMISED that a wall will be built and Mexico is paying for it. Now he's using it to hold a DACA deal hostage unless it's get funded by our taxes?
And this after the Dems decided to trust McConnell that DACA would be addressed and voted to extend the government funding. Also, this after Trump said when he decided to end DACA that he only wanted it done through Congress to make it legal and would support a bill that got to his desk. Hundreds of thousands of lives being played with...its disgusting.

« Reply #138 on: January 24, 2018, 02:49:44 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

And this after the Dems decided to trust McConnell that DACA would be addressed and voted to extend the government funding. Also, this after Trump said when he decided to end DACA that he only wanted it done through Congress to make it legal and would support a bill that got to his desk. Hundreds of thousands of lives being played with...its disgusting.

Trumpís an idiot and a liar, so take his words out of this. Is there any chance at all that Dems would negotiate on broader immigration measures if Trump gave them what theyíre asking for? Legislation is always treated like a hostage exchange these days.

And, when is the last time a President signed legislation that his own majority party largely opposed?

« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 03:27:46 PM by Roy H. »

« Reply #139 on: January 24, 2018, 03:27:24 PM »

Offline blink

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 535

Trumpís an idiot and a liar, so take his words out of this. Is there any chance at all that Dems would negotiate on broader immigration measures if Trump gave them what theyíre asking for? Legislation is always treated like a hostage exchange these days.

We all know Trump is an idiot and a liar, but he is also president and has veto power over any proposed legislation.  He also backtracks on promises he makes to Congress.  That is an important asterisk in all of this.  With the congress so unable to do anything on a bi-partisan basis it leaves Trump with the veto stick for literally all proposed legislation. 

I really wish moderates from both parties like Graham, Durbin, McCain, ect could have a more powerful sway over their counterparts.  McConnell is pretty ineffective and so many of the Republicans are bending over for Trump because they are worried if they don't - Trump will support an opposition candidate in their next election.  It is crazy how much Trump has hijacked the republican party.  It is embarrassing.

Congress needs to craft some kind of bipartisan DACA legislation that can be widely accepted by everyone (with no doubt some compromises that are hard to swallow on both sides) and then get the 2/3's votes to over-ride the potential veto.  I know that is hard to do.  But the congress needs to take back some of their power and be a stronger check on our nutjob president.

« Reply #140 on: January 24, 2018, 03:29:44 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Congress needs to craft some kind of bipartisan DACA legislation that can be widely accepted by everyone (with no doubt some compromises that are hard to swallow on both sides) and then get the 2/3's votes to over-ride the potential veto.  I know that is hard to do.  But the congress needs to take back some of their power and be a stronger check on our nutjob president.
I don't think it should be. It strikes me as an issue with a ton of room to meet in the middle, as long as neither party falls hostage of its own extremists.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #141 on: January 24, 2018, 03:36:30 PM »

Offline blink

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 535
I don't think it should be. It strikes me as an issue with a ton of room to meet in the middle, as long as neither party falls hostage of its own extremists.

I would love for that to happen, especially if they have the votes to overturn any veto.  A poll from a few months ago stated that 86% of the country support dreamers staying in the country.
It is time that our representatives in congress start working together on issues that are so strongly supported by the general public.

http://thehill.com/homenews/news/352210-poll-86-percent-support-dreamers-staying-in-the-country

« Reply #142 on: February 06, 2018, 06:35:33 PM »

Online nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith

« Reply #143 on: February 09, 2018, 12:03:38 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Shutdown averted in return for trillion dollar annual deficits. Massive tax cuts and massive spending hikes. What could go wrong?

« Reply #144 on: February 09, 2018, 01:31:07 PM »

Online nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
Shutdown averted in return for trillion dollar annual deficits. Massive tax cuts and massive spending hikes. What could go wrong?
I saw one area that said it was going to allow disaster relief for churches. Is that legal? The whole separation of church and stste.

« Reply #145 on: February 09, 2018, 01:40:09 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I saw one area that said it was going to allow disaster relief for churches. Is that legal? The whole separation of church and stste.

Generally thatís legal so long as thereís a secular purpose.  A faith-based charity doesnít get discriminated against just because they believe in a higher power, so long as the government isnít favoring Catholics over Muslims or Jews, etc. in short, government doesnít have to be atheist, so long as they donít establish a favored religion.

« Reply #146 on: February 09, 2018, 01:49:55 PM »

Offline TomHeinsohn

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 33
An heir has never been taxed on the inheritance he receives.

This simply isnít true.
TomHeinsohn can correct me if I am wrong but I think what he is saying is that the heir him/herself is only being taxed once.

I have no idea what heís attempting to say, but his statement is wrong.

Heirs get taxed via inheritance taxes; estates get taxed via the estate tax. Thereís no Federal inheritance tax, but some states have it. There is a Federal estate tax, which reduces the value of an inheritance through taxes.

The estate is taxed while in the hands of the owner. The inheritee has never owned the estate and thus has never been taxed on it. Double taxation is a gross misnomer. By your logic, literally every exchange of money, with the exception of federal spending, is double taxed.

« Reply #147 on: February 09, 2018, 01:51:39 PM »

Offline TomHeinsohn

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 33
People need to realize that the government of the US will never run out of currency that it produces and controls. Federal expenditures aren't "paid for" by collecting money. Taxes are levied, in simplified terms, to maintain "demand" for the currency. Federal deficits don't matter, debts always get paid. We CAN simply "pay for" whatever we want, be it universal healthcare, education, food, housing, etc.

« Reply #148 on: February 09, 2018, 01:57:00 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 2161
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
As Congress lays the foundation to benefit from the next Tea Party by completely abandoning what they sold the last one on, I can't help but wonder how many people needlessly suffered due to years of deficit hawking during the worst economic crisis of our lifetime that has now proven to be almost unanimously insincere and in bad faith.

« Reply #149 on: February 09, 2018, 02:07:59 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 393
You forgot to add "with Republicans in control of the Presidency and Congress." 

Hello! Guest

Welcome to the CelticsStrong Forums.

Community

Signup to win FREE tickets

* indicates required