Author Topic: What is our starting 5 next year?  (Read 862 times)

What is our starting 5 next year?
« on: November 21, 2017, 02:42:43 PM »

Offline Phil125

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 57
I know this is early but, with the growth of Brown and Tatum I'm trying to figure it out.  I not sure how we can have one of them coming off the bench.  Can we have Tatum as our starting PF or does that not even matter anymore in the current NBA?

PG Kyrie
SG Brown
SF Hayward
PF Tatum
C Horford

Morris, Rozier, Baynes, Semi, and maybe Smart off the bench.  Also we will probably be a prime aging vet destination for somebody looking for a ring. 

Re: What is our starting 5 next year?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 02:47:10 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
That looks about right to me.  The only real question is Tatum at the four.  In today's modern NBA, it makes sense as well.

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 02:47:17 PM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I would actually be inclined to start Morris over Tatum at PF.  Tatum can be a super-sub and feast on NBA backups.

Are you going to sign Smart to a $15M contract and bring him off the bench?

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 02:50:27 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Correct me if I’m wrong… But isn’t Baynes on a one year contract?

I also think having Tatum continue as a starter is much more important for our team’s long-term productivity than ceding the PF spot to Morris.

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 02:55:03 PM »

Online aefgogreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 55
I would actually be inclined to start Morris over Tatum at PF.  Tatum can be a super-sub and feast on NBA backups.

I think they re sign Smart.  The team always seems to be better when he is on the floor.  My guess/hope is that he isn't going to demand that much on the market.  Although 15M is certainly in the ball park.

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 02:55:46 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
This isn't really a question.  Assuming health (and that they are all on the roster) it is clearly Irving, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, and Horford.  Nothing else makes sense at all.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 02:56:11 PM »

Offline Phil125

• Jrue Holiday

With all the great things Ainge has done in the last year.  He is not dumb enough to give Smart 15 Million.  Nobody is paying him a penny over 10 mil if his shooting continues like this.

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 02:57:25 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
If Tatum fills out, I think we can start him at the 4. He’ll be a nightmare at both ends if he develops like he has been. I think 20ppg and 8rpg with good-to-elite defense is a reasonable outcome for him which at age 20 is pretty scary.

I mean if you look at what he’s doing...big rebounds in traffic, terrific D when it counts...clutch offense in crunch time. He’s an All-NBA talent in the making, I don’t see how you move a guy like that to the bench.

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 02:57:36 PM »

Offline Phil125

• Jrue Holiday
This isn't really a question.  Assuming health (and that they are all on the roster) it is clearly Irving, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, and Horford.  Nothing else makes sense at all.

Just think Tatum could get abused by some of the larger PF's in the league.  I can see Brad switching him and Morris as needed.

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 02:57:51 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I would definitely start Tatum.  I’d much rather he continue to go up against the best than feast on backups.  He’s got a much longer future in Boston than Morris does.

While I don’t think Smart comes back at $15 million next year (I’d say the most the Celtics can afford is $13 million in year 1 of a new deal), if he’s still playing 30 minutes a night and major minutes down the stretch, I don’t care whether he’s starting or not.

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2017, 02:58:55 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

QFT.