Author Topic: Roy Moore  (Read 23795 times)

Re: Roy Moore
« Reply #360 on: December 12, 2017, 10:32:50 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 377
Sweet justice was served!

« Reply #361 on: December 12, 2017, 10:33:58 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 891
  • On To Banner 18!
ROLL TIDE!!!  ;D

Doug Jones for the win!
Phoenix Suns Mock Trade Deadline Roster
PG: Jones/Melton/Okobo
SG: Booker/Crawford/Daniels
SF: Bridges/Oubre/King
PF: Saric/Gibson/Anderson/Bender/Acy
C: Ayton/Holmes
Future Picks: https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed (+ 2019 Top-5 Protected MIN 1st)

« Reply #362 on: December 12, 2017, 10:37:47 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 644
This is from exit polls and not actual votes but holy cow:

It's white evangelicals vs everyone else. And they're all-in for the child molesting bigot with major ethics issues.

Yeah, I'm a white evangelical, and I find Moore's actions deplorable.

Just so you know it's not all white evangelicals. Some of us have a moral compass governed by what God teaches.

Look up what Ed Stetzer has said on the topic. He has been a voice of reason in evangelical circles about this issue.

TP

That is good to hear. I grew up in a strong Christian household so I understand, though I am no longer religious. Everyone has their beliefs, and while I might not agree with those beliefs I respect people who are consistent. On the flipside I also find it disturbing that some jettison those beliefs apparently for the sake of pure power. If ideology bends to fit the circumstances then it becomes Orwellian doublethink. Once it becomes habitual, doublethink can be used to justify literally anything.

One of the things that sickens me most about the evangelical republican segment of America is that it seems they are willing to compromise or bend their beliefs for power, or in their words the "greater good."

Truth is that you see this from any ideology at times, and both sides of the aisle, but there are pretty clear teachings by Jesus on some of these things that are are ignored.
Yep.

No doubt the Democrats made a major mistake supporting Bill Clinton for all those years. IMO that hypocrisy was a contributing factor to Trump's victory after the Access Hollywood tape and the following accusations came to light.

Hopefully we can all learn something from all this mess.

« Reply #363 on: December 12, 2017, 10:44:16 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
  • Forever LIT
Alabama surprised me tonight.

« Reply #364 on: December 12, 2017, 10:46:35 PM »

Offline footey

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1075
Thank God.

« Reply #365 on: December 12, 2017, 10:47:35 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1086

It's white evangelicals vs everyone else. And they're all-in for the child molesting bigot with major ethics issues.

Just so you know it's not all white evangelicals. Some of us have a moral compass governed by what God teaches.

Look up what Ed Stetzer has said on the topic. He has been a voice of reason in evangelical circles about this issue.

TP

That is good to hear. I grew up in a strong Christian household so I understand, though I am no longer religious. Everyone has their beliefs, and while I might not agree with those beliefs I respect people who are consistent. On the flipside I also find it disturbing that some jettison those beliefs apparently for the sake of pure power. If ideology bends to fit the circumstances then it becomes Orwellian doublethink. Once it becomes habitual, doublethink can be used to justify literally anything.

One of the things that sickens me most about the evangelical republican segment of America is that it seems they are willing to compromise or bend their beliefs for power, or in their words the "greater good."

Truth is that you see this from any ideology at times, and both sides of the aisle, but there are pretty clear teachings by Jesus on some of these things that are are ignored.
Yep.

No doubt the Democrats made a major mistake supporting Bill Clinton for all those years. IMO that hypocrisy was a contributing factor to Trump's victory after the Access Hollywood tape and the following accusations came to light.

If Trump runs for re-election in 2020, his mistake of supporting Moore will probably be used against him.  He gambled on this one and lost in more ways than one.

Broussard: "Did you call bank?"
Pierce: "I called game."

- Paul Pierce on his game-winning buzzer beater, game 3 EC Semi-finals against the Atlanta Hawks

« Reply #366 on: December 12, 2017, 10:50:12 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 503

TP

Yep.

If Trump runs for re-election in 2020, his mistake of supporting Moore will probably be used against him.  He gambled on this one and lost in more ways than one.

I hope this is true, but I don't think it will be. I think this served to strengthen his base, whether Moore won or not. The base will rally around a martyr complex and might be even more supportive of Trump if this comes up in the next election.
Most talent in the league. We don't want or need AD.

« Reply #367 on: December 12, 2017, 10:50:20 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 469
Jones with buzzer beater!  Nice going Alabama!

2016 Nets overtime loss type feeling...
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #368 on: December 12, 2017, 10:53:40 PM »

Offline blink

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 535

« Reply #369 on: December 12, 2017, 10:54:41 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Jim Loscutoff

TP

Yep.

Yeah, that's a good point, he will alienate a lot of moderates with this one. Overall he just seems really desperate. And he's not one who seems to play the "long game."

Which is sort of the larger problem with him overall, even with a GOP House and Senate behind him he acts like a desperate man with zero leverage. It is a bad look, hopefully he does not make a massive mistake in an effort to project strength.

« Reply #370 on: December 12, 2017, 10:55:18 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Jim Loscutoff
Thank God.

Exactly.  Tp

This is a good day for America.

TP's for all!!!!

« Reply #371 on: December 12, 2017, 10:59:14 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1086

TP

Yep.

I hope this is true, but I don't think it will be. I think this served to strengthen his base, whether Moore won or not. The base will rally around a martyr complex and might be even more supportive of Trump if this comes up in the next election.

His core supporters will never leave, but if the data are to be believed, it looks like his support is eroding among independents and moderate Republicans.  I guess we'll see.

Broussard: "Did you call bank?"
Pierce: "I called game."

- Paul Pierce on his game-winning buzzer beater, game 3 EC Semi-finals against the Atlanta Hawks

« Reply #372 on: December 12, 2017, 10:59:53 PM »

Online More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 254

TP for your perspective. I'm assuming you're not Alabamian either so the dynamic may be different in your community. 81-17 is a very big margin but that's still thousands who aren't voting for Moore. Just found the massive divergence very striking.

Just to add another thought, because Christian reputation matters to me ...

There is a growing movement, sometimes called the "gospel-centered" movement, and sometimes called YRR (young restless and reformed) that is tired of republican Christianity. We are more devoted to Christ and his teachings and less to maintaining political power. And these last few elections have sickened those in that movement (myself included).

At this point, many of those in the movement are not influential enough because of their youth, but I think in coming years there will be a better representation of Christianity in America and in politics. At least I hope so.

Once upon a time... there once was a religious left as well. Ironically, it was personal ethicosexual issues often that robbed them of their moral authority and, with it, their political charm.

But I'm all for bringing back the religious left. And I'm not even religious.

« Reply #373 on: December 12, 2017, 10:59:56 PM »

Offline blink

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 535
So how soon should we expect the enraged Trump tweet storm?

« Reply #374 on: December 12, 2017, 11:00:40 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 9054
thrilled to have my pessimism of Alabama voters/culture proven wrong.  Alabama did the right thing.  still closer than it should have been to show a true rebuke of Moore and what he stands for but I'll take a Jones win.

Hello! Guest

Welcome to the CelticsStrong Forums.

Community

Signup to win FREE tickets

* indicates required