Author Topic: Scal is a horrible announcer  (Read 6454 times)

Re: Scal is a horrible announcer
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2017, 04:07:44 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Scal is good. Tommy I hate to say it has been slipping over the last few years. Even my wife who tunes in from time to time has even noticed. But thats old age, but him commenting on Baynes in the locker room gave him some life this year. LOL

Scal has good insight of todays game, and some of the players since he's not that far removed from playing with a lot of them or the systems other teams are playing. I was impressed by how much he actually knew.

Gorman is the best, he'll be hard to replace. I do like the idea of bringing in McHale though, he's good. PP needs more time to develop his TV personality and get more comfortable with it. Not sue what other C's player would be good, KG would be fun, but they have to do a half hour delay just inc case.  ;)

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2017, 04:08:12 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I like Scal. He’s not Prime Tommy, but nobody is.
Not even Tommy is Prime Tommy anymore. He was so much better back in 2005-2010. I don't sense the same enthusiasm and involvement in recent years.

I’m not a Max fan.
I think Max is hilarious... even if the sandwich routine gets old sometimes.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2017, 04:08:57 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Watch out, or they'll bring back Donny Marshall.
Donny was a nice guy and all, but he made that broadcast completely unwatchable. Eeek.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2017, 04:52:37 PM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
I actually think Scal is pretty good.  Also love Mike for play by play, I think he's one of the best.

My favorite part about Scal is that he's still a homer to some extent, but he will also call it like it is unlike Tommy who is 99 out of 100 times homer.

« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2017, 04:53:18 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Couldn't disagree more. I think Scal brings a lot of good information and current knowledge of the game. Really like him, which is saying a lot cause I hated him as a player lol.

« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2017, 04:54:59 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1797
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Not even Tommy is Prime Tommy anymore. He was so much better back in 2005-2010. I don't sense the same enthusiasm and involvement in recent years.

I’m not a Max fan.

Of course Gorman and Mike have been such a a great team for so many years, but prime Tommy was when he was with Cousy for sure. They had such good camaraderie - for obvious reasons.

Donny was a nice guy and all, but he made that broadcast completely unwatchable. Eeek.

Yeah, not a horrible guy and he always tried to keep things positive (although his analysis was rough, in general), it just didn't work for the Celtics. We need more bombastic personalities  ;D

« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2017, 05:17:41 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

I’m not a Max fan.

Of course Gorman and Mike have been such a a great team for so many years, but prime Tommy was when he was with Cousy for sure. They had such good camaraderie - for obvious reasons.

Yeah, not a horrible guy and he always tried to keep things positive (although his analysis was rough, in general), it just didn't work for the Celtics. We need more bombastic personalities  ;D
In the 90s, perhaps (it was kind of hard to get the local broadcast overseas in the 90s :P). But when they brought back Cousy for cameos in the 90s, he was pretty much where Heinsohn is now: still decent, but clearly too old to be doing this...

Marshall seems to be better cut for a national broadcast. He seems to be doing college basketball on Fox these days, though I have no idea how he's doing since I don't watch colelge sports.

« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2017, 05:20:48 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I liked Cousy on the broadcasts because he would see the passing lanes open up before the passes were made.

« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2017, 05:52:34 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Spend some time on League Pass listening to the local color guys; Scal is far from horrible.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2017, 06:06:05 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I actually think Scal is pretty good.  Also love Mike for play by play, I think he's one of the best.

My favorite part about Scal is that he's still a homer to some extent, but he will also call it like it is unlike Tommy who is 99 out of 100 times homer.

99? Are we talking about the same guy?

He's even a homer when it comes to evaluating Aron Baynes' shower game.

« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2017, 06:40:52 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Scal is my freaking hero.

Stop this talk. Who'd you want talk Celtics with over a beer? 

« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2017, 06:51:55 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Scal’s great. It’s Blakely that needs to go.

« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2017, 06:57:59 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1659
 ::) ::)
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2017, 07:27:41 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Tommy facts....
8 rings as a player
2 rings as a coach
1 ring as a broadcaster

Red drafted him as the Celtic's "regional pick" after he graduated from Holy Cross where he is still the school's all time leading scorer...22.1 ppg.

Tommy wanted to win.

In the 1974 finals against the Kareem and Oscar Robertson Bucks, (Celtics Bucks had split the regular season series 2-2) Havlicek, Cowens, Jo Jo and Dyamite Don Nelson went 7 games. In Game six it went to double overtime. Tommy, as always, was all over the officiating (Mendy Rudolph). It was the second overtime and Cowens, who (I think) had gotten three fouls in the first quarter and sat a lot of the game, fouled Jabbar underneath for his sixth. Tommy lost it on that one. Jabbar hit a sky hook with two seconds left and it was back to Milwaukee for game 7.

"I'm the only coach in NBA history who ever got a technical for a stare."

« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2017, 07:56:02 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Tommy just called Jaylen Rose’s great reverse dunk.