Author Topic: Jaylen on Kemba Walker  (Read 2007 times)

Jaylen on Kemba Walker
« on: October 13, 2017, 09:04:45 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
https://youtu.be/1yQAipxv-3E?t=48s

Just one possession from the Charlotte game the other night but this is why I'm not too worried about losing Avery. If Jaylen can not only stay in front of Kemba but block his jump shot, he can stay in front of anyone Avery used to guard. I don't know if he can do it consistently but this is a nice sign.

And keep watching that video because the next clip is Jaylen blocking 6'9" Marvin Williams in the post.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Re: Jaylen on Kemba Walker
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 09:20:48 AM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
Jaylen has showed he is ready.
Love how he has embraced the role of lock down defender

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 11:06:51 AM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
Surprised at the lack of commentary on this.
In a way it's a good thing as fan focus on (and impatience with) youth development can add a lot of pressure on these kids. With the spotlight on stars these kids can focus on developing.

But still, that was some unreal defense. TP to JB.

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 11:24:22 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
A couple of concessions.
1. It was pre-season.
2. Kemba was getting used to new teammates.
3. Kemba was out of sync.

That being said, the Celtics' new scheme is a large part why. We will see a repetitive refrain this season each defensive possession.

1. Offense runs first action. Celtics switch.
2. Offense runs second action. Celtics switch.
3. Offense stalls with first or second best scorer having the ball, who has to create the best shot they can, while all the other offensive players stand and watch.

Here's the cool thing: Brown, Morris, and Smart both can be elite on-ball defenders in isos. Horford and Baynes are elite post defenders. Hayward is underrated. Tatum's length is invasive. Even Irving looks primed to be better this year.

Guys will hit amazing shots against us. Sometimes, scorers will catch fire. But we will consistently hold teams under 100 points.

Jaylen Brown's length and activity will be a big reason why. I love that he can switch 1-4, while being effective and disruptive. That frees Irving and Hayward to do their thing, which should make us a really good offensive team.

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 11:30:15 AM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
Great play, but yeah it was one possession. Brown can’t guard Kemba for whole game. AB can. Brown won’t replace what Bradley brought on defense, but he’s a different defender. Brown is best against wings and Bradley is best against guards. Smart is our best chance of replicating what AB did on defense.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 11:34:51 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I'm so glad we have size at sg now.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 11:51:07 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I agree that the clip is encouraging.

That said, on the play Kemba basically just iso'd and didn't even make any real moves.

The real test for a guy like Brown on a guy like Kemba is can he navigate around picks in a pick and roll, or get over screens when his man is running off the ball.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 02:24:13 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Speaks to the versatility of this team defensively.  We'll be better than last year because of it.

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 03:11:25 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
If someone on the C's could guard Batum on every play like that...I'd be ecstatic.

Overall, I'm impressed with the Celtic's height. Thought playing Brown at the 2 was a great idea last year. Glad Brad is carrying it over to this season.

Never thought the day would come when I'd be pleased that Danny started signing players with decent height and shooting ability. I wonder if the lack of height may be ONE of the reasons Danny didn't try to sign Avery? Although, he more than made up for it in his quickness and shooting.