Author Topic: To Quote What Tony Massarotti Once Said: I. HATE. THIS. TRADE.  (Read 12555 times)

Re: To Quote What Tony Massarotti Once Said: I. HATE. THIS. TRADE.
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2017, 11:14:19 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
https://twitter.com/tonymassarotti/status/753715692294242308

Mazz said that^ (link) in response to the Drew Pomeranz trade the Red Sox did last summer, and frankly, I thought the same thing about that one lol (a Top-15 prospect in ALL of MLB for a dang #3-4 starter???).

But this trade, is AWFUL. Cleveland won it.

Kyrie Irving is NOT that much better than Isaiah Thomas, and the fact that they needed to include the Brooklyn Pick in this deal (with NO protections)... YIKES. I'm not super upset about losing Zizic and Crowder (although I will miss Crowder a ton), but this deal overall.... YUCK.

Say what you want about Isaiah Thomas, but he's the ONLY reason this team made the playoffs in 2015 and made the ECF last season. He also got Hayward and Horford here and did get us a meeting with Durant that summer we got Horford too. And even after all that he's done... just seeing him traded away like this makes it look like the Celtics did him dirty.

I'm sorry, but I'm NOT a fan of this trade one bit. It will look A LOT worse if Brooklyn's pick lands 1-3 and the Cavs get any of Porter or Bagley (YUCK again...).

And what exactly is our big man depth behind Horford now? Baynes... then who?

1.  Irving is better then Thomas - watching yesterday, he showed some legit flashes of passing ability and defensive effort that I've never seen before from him (or from Thomas, for that matter).  If he keeps up that defensive effort then he's going to be so much better then Thomas that it's not even funny.  If he doesn't keep it up and remains a major defensive liability, then he'll still be better then Thomas.

2. I take it you didn't watch Baynes and Theis play yesterday?

Well in all fairness this post was made a month ago so yeah I'll admit I underestimated them (Theis and Baynes).  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2017, 11:18:52 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
He didn't want surgery because no one has ever returned to from from that particular surgery to play at a high level.

Very few players have had hip surgery. The one star player who did, Lamarcus Aldridge, played at an all-star level after his return.

Do not compare plodding bigs to a 5'9" PG who needs every ounce of bounce and burst to succeed.

Yeah, plus it seems that unlike Thomas, who continued playing on a bad hip, Aldridge had surgery immediately. As the Thomas ESPN article points out, "If you have a patient who has an acute injury and has cartilage damage, I find it's better to intervene earlier than later," Philippon says, "because the longer you wait with these injuries, that tends to lead to more problems."

Compare that to Aldridge's case:

Portland Trail Blazers forward/center LaMarcus Aldridge will undergo arthroscopic surgery on his right hip to repair a labral tear and will miss the remainder of the season, it was announced today by the team.

"In his most recent MRI, and following further evaluation, it's been determined that LaMarcus has a slight labral tear and will require arthroscopic surgery," said Acting General Manager Chad Buchanan. "LaMarcus' priority is that he's 100-percent healthy going into training camp this fall and we all feel this is the best course. He's had an All-Star year and his long-term health is the most important thing to consider."

Aldridge told reporters in Portland on Thursday that he had suffered a "very slight" tear and that he expected his recovery period would take 2-4 months. Aldridge said that he could possibly make a return in time to compete for USA Basketball during the 2012 Olympics but also noted that he wouldn't "push it."

"Talking to the doctor over and over again, this is very precautionary and very smart to do right now because it's a very small tear right now," Aldridge said. "If you play on it and wait, it could become something major."

Right, except as Roy H. said, very few have had hip surgery and Aldridge is someone who had hip surgery and returned and played like an all-star still.

So to say, "a guy who has hip surgery can never come back and be an all-star again" is a bit premature and not entirely correct.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2017, 11:48:35 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
He didn't want surgery because no one has ever returned to from from that particular surgery to play at a high level.

Very few players have had hip surgery. The one star player who did, Lamarcus Aldridge, played at an all-star level after his return.

Do not compare plodding bigs to a 5'9" PG who needs every ounce of bounce and burst to succeed.

Yeah, plus it seems that unlike Thomas, who continued playing on a bad hip, Aldridge had surgery immediately. As the Thomas ESPN article points out, "If you have a patient who has an acute injury and has cartilage damage, I find it's better to intervene earlier than later," Philippon says, "because the longer you wait with these injuries, that tends to lead to more problems."

Compare that to Aldridge's case:

Portland Trail Blazers forward/center LaMarcus Aldridge will undergo arthroscopic surgery on his right hip to repair a labral tear and will miss the remainder of the season, it was announced today by the team.

"In his most recent MRI, and following further evaluation, it's been determined that LaMarcus has a slight labral tear and will require arthroscopic surgery," said Acting General Manager Chad Buchanan. "LaMarcus' priority is that he's 100-percent healthy going into training camp this fall and we all feel this is the best course. He's had an All-Star year and his long-term health is the most important thing to consider."

Aldridge told reporters in Portland on Thursday that he had suffered a "very slight" tear and that he expected his recovery period would take 2-4 months. Aldridge said that he could possibly make a return in time to compete for USA Basketball during the 2012 Olympics but also noted that he wouldn't "push it."

"Talking to the doctor over and over again, this is very precautionary and very smart to do right now because it's a very small tear right now," Aldridge said. "If you play on it and wait, it could become something major."

Right, except as Roy H. said, very few have had hip surgery and Aldridge is someone who had hip surgery and returned and played like an all-star still.

So to say, "a guy who has hip surgery can never come back and be an all-star again" is a bit premature and not entirely correct.

When there was a lot of discussion about Cleveland possibly rejecting the trade one of the sports networks talked about athletic players who had hsd the surgery IT would have had.  They explained how none of them ever played the same again.  They were trying to explain why a guy like IT would pass on the surgery.  The painted that hip surgery in the same light that ACL surgery used to be.  I forget what network that was on, but they seemed to defend Cleveland asking for more while at the same time defending IT passing on the surgery.  It is turning 30 and coming of a serious leg injury.  His game is based off his speed.  He is done. Danny saw that and dumped him for value. 

« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2017, 02:01:53 PM »

Offline TheSlipperyWhistle

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
What is a GM's job?
To assemble a team to win championships.
Were the 2016-2017 Celtics ready to win a championship?
No.
Did things have to change?
Yes.
Did everyone love IT and his heart?
Yes.
Is Kyrie Irving better (both now and future looking) than IT?
Yes.
Did we take a step back in the "stretch" position?
Jaylen and Tatum are handling it just fine, the loss of Crowder is not felt.
Did we need another TOP 3 pick?
Always nice to have, but we have a stable of great prospects (Tatum, Brown, Rozier)
Stop Crying. This was a good trade. So was the Philly pick trade. Have you seen the shooting form on Fultz? has MCW written all over him.