Author Topic: Trump And His Administration (Day to Day Thread)  (Read 26553 times)

Re: Trump And His Administration (Day to Day Thread)
« Reply #360 on: September 24, 2017, 04:21:50 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27403
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
When's the last time we've had high-level public officials demand private citizens be punished for peaceful, silent protest? Did it even happen to Smith + Carlos in 68? To Ali? What would we think if we saw this in another country?

I want to point out that the President is coming perilously close to breaking (another) law. 

18 U.S. Code § 227 - Wrongfully influencing a private entity’s employment decisions by a Member of Congress or an officer or employee of the legislative or executive branch.

(a) Whoever, being a covered government person, with the intent to influence, solely on the basis of partisan political affiliation, an employment decision or employment practice of any private entity—
(1) takes or withholds, or offers or threatens to take or withhold, an official act, or
(2) influences, or offers or threatens to influence, the official act of another,
shall be fined under this title or imprisoned for not more than 15 years, or both, and may be disqualified from holding any office of honor, trust, or profit under the United States.
(b) In this section, the term “covered government person” means—
(1) a Senator or Representative in, or a Delegate or Resident Commissioner to, the Congress;
(2) an employee of either House of Congress; or
(3) the President, Vice President, an employee of the United States Postal Service or the Postal Regulatory Commission, or any other executive branch employee (as such term is defined under section 2105 of title 5, United States Code).

He's not there yet (probably) because he hasn't taken an "official" act while urging that NFL players be fired for not standing during the anthem.  But, if he were to, say, order the military to not make their planes available for stadium flyovers prior to games...

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/227

How does this clause apply to the above?

... solely on the basis of partisan political affiliation ...

Because the original comments came at a political rally for a Republican candidate.  Not to mention it's not difficult to see him tweet about a player and Obama.

We don't even know the players' "partisan political affiliation", let alone if that's what "solely" motivated Trump.

Trump's an idiot for what he said, but this statute doesn't apply, and wouldn't apply under your hypothetical.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #361 on: September 24, 2017, 04:23:35 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1192
I don't watch the games to see a protest, I want to see Football.

yeah and that's the most white thing you can possibly say. You're saying you just want to be entertained by black athletes, but don't give a [dang] about their social status in America. They can protest and do whatever they want it's their right as American citizens. If them peacefully protesting during the 3 minutes during the national anthem is so bothersome to you, turn off the TV.

Most white thing you can possibly say?

So who's bringing race into this now?

Are black athletes the only race on the field on Sundays?

He didn't say that at all, he said he wants to watch football to get away from politics for a few hours.

It's just a prime example of white privilege.

Race IS a HUGE issue in this country and the fact you can even "Get Away" from politics and hearing about racial issues for a few hours is again white privilege.

That's the point.

Ok SJW...

I'm not white and agree with him

Do I have white privilege too?

« Reply #362 on: September 24, 2017, 04:26:38 PM »

Online liam

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1102

yeah and that's the most white thing you can possibly say. You're saying you just want to be entertained by black athletes, but don't give a [dang] about their social status in America. They can protest and do whatever they want it's their right as American citizens. If them peacefully protesting during the 3 minutes during the national anthem is so bothersome to you, turn off the TV.

He didn't say that at all, he said he wants to watch football to get away from politics for a few hours.

Race IS a HUGE issue in this country and the fact you can even "Get Away" from politics and hearing about racial issues for a few hours is again white privilege.

That's the point.

Ok SJW...

I don't understand what you are saying? You're not white so white privilege doesn't exist?

« Reply #363 on: September 24, 2017, 04:32:17 PM »

Offline Bosstown

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 32

That's the point.

Ok SJW...

No it just means you choose not to deal with reality that black and brown people have been dealing with systematic oppression since the inception of this country.

« Reply #364 on: September 24, 2017, 04:34:01 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1575
When's the last time we've had high-level public officials demand private citizens be punished for peaceful, silent protest? Did it even happen to Smith + Carlos in 68? What would we think if we saw this in another country?

The guys who are kneeling have broken no law, Trumps demands are idiotic.  Just like it was idiotic for the white house (sanders I guess, but she doesn't say anything Trump doesn't want her to) to tell ESPN to fire Hill.

Doesn't the President of the United States have more on his plate right now to deal with anyways?  Starting a war with North Korea, 3 million people without power in Puerto Rico, major major crisis in Houston and south Florida after the hurricanes isn't enough.  Nooo that is not enough, we have to make time to offend millions of citizens.  Our president needs to resign.
you know what's idiotic? Believing that a guy kneeling and Wearing socks that depict police officers as pigs  is social activism.  That's idiotic

Stupid socks.  What else you got?

Praising Castro?

Comparing police to modern day slave hunters?

Not even voting in the last election?

My point was poorly stated.  I was referring to the bigger picture, not Colin Kaepernick.  CK got the ball rolling, but today's issue is not really about him (or perhaps about him and many others). 

I am actually surprised you come out attacking the person exercising free speech.  I would think you would find Trump's statements reprehensible.

« Reply #365 on: September 24, 2017, 04:34:01 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27403
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
This thread is close to being locked again. Don't label / attack other posters.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #366 on: September 24, 2017, 04:39:49 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 406
When's the last time we've had high-level public officials demand private citizens be punished for peaceful, silent protest? Did it even happen to Smith + Carlos in 68? To Ali? What would we think if we saw this in another country?

I want to point out that the President is coming perilously close to breaking (another) law. 

18 U.S. Code § 227 - Wrongfully influencing a private entity’s employment decisions by a Member of Congress or an officer or employee of the legislative or executive branch.

(a) Whoever, being a covered government person, with the intent to influence, solely on the basis of partisan political affiliation, an employment decision or employment practice of any private entity—
(1) takes or withholds, or offers or threatens to take or withhold, an official act, or
(2) influences, or offers or threatens to influence, the official act of another,
shall be fined under this title or imprisoned for not more than 15 years, or both, and may be disqualified from holding any office of honor, trust, or profit under the United States.
(b) In this section, the term “covered government person” means—
(1) a Senator or Representative in, or a Delegate or Resident Commissioner to, the Congress;
(2) an employee of either House of Congress; or
(3) the President, Vice President, an employee of the United States Postal Service or the Postal Regulatory Commission, or any other executive branch employee (as such term is defined under section 2105 of title 5, United States Code).

He's not there yet (probably) because he hasn't taken an "official" act while urging that NFL players be fired for not standing during the anthem.  But, if he were to, say, order the military to not make their planes available for stadium flyovers prior to games...

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/227
Regardless of what Trump says or tweets, ordering military planes not to be used for stadium flyovers would not break any laws.  He could also legally order the military to stop its advertising for NFL events. 

This law sites intent to influence employment decisions solely on the basis of political partisan affiliation.  Trump hasn't said any of these players should be hired or fired based on their political partisan affiliation.   Trump is an idiot and a liar but at least in this instance he's not a law breaker. 

« Reply #367 on: September 24, 2017, 04:48:57 PM »

Online blink

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 569
But her e-mails!

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/24/jared-kushner-private-email-white-house-243071

I am afraid your post got a little lost...so a TP for you.

After all of the condemnation, all of the lock her up chants, and then Kushner does the same thing.  Even worse, the article makes it sound like multiple staff in the administration are doing this.

"The use of personal email accounts in the Trump White House has been somewhat common, even though the president has been a harsh critic of Clinton’s private email habits, frequently leading “lock her up” chants as he traveled across the country on the campaign trail."

Trump proves himself a fraud and a liar more almost every day.  Dare I say we are pretty numb to all this stuff at this point.

« Reply #368 on: September 24, 2017, 04:52:08 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1309

That's the point.

Classism is also a thing.  A white male from an impoverished and violent background isn't benefiting from white privilege in a lot of ways that others are; in fact, if they grew up in a highly dysfunctional family, they're coming from behind in a lot of aspects in life.  The notion of intersectionality is lost when people just yell at each other.  That's annoying to a lot of people.
"As far as playing, I didn't care who guarded me - red, yellow, black. I just didn't want a white guy guarding me, because it's disrespect to my game."
-Larry Bird

« Reply #369 on: September 24, 2017, 05:04:38 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1265
Again, I don't support Trump from a policy standpoint, pretty much a Bill Clinton who likes guns.... But the way he makes his (political) opponents do exactly what he wants, is pretty impressive. The man is a master manipulator, everything is calculated.

« Reply #370 on: September 24, 2017, 05:23:05 PM »

Online CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 673
When's the last time we've had high-level public officials demand private citizens be punished for peaceful, silent protest? Did it even happen to Smith + Carlos in 68? What would we think if we saw this in another country?

The guys who are kneeling have broken no law, Trumps demands are idiotic.  Just like it was idiotic for the white house (sanders I guess, but she doesn't say anything Trump doesn't want her to) to tell ESPN to fire Hill.

Doesn't the President of the United States have more on his plate right now to deal with anyways?  Starting a war with North Korea, 3 million people without power in Puerto Rico, major major crisis in Houston and south Florida after the hurricanes isn't enough.  Nooo that is not enough, we have to make time to offend millions of citizens.  Our president needs to resign.
you know what's idiotic? Believing that a guy kneeling and Wearing socks that depict police officers as pigs  is social activism.  That's idiotic

Praising Castro?

My point was poorly stated.  I was referring to the bigger picture, not Colin Kaepernick.  CK got the ball rolling, but today's issue is not really about him (or perhaps about him and many others). 

I am actually surprised you come out attacking the person exercising free speech.  I would think you would find Trump's statements reprehensible.
trumps statement of respecting the flag is reprehensible because why again?

And can articulate what Colin is protesting and how it solves anything ? Are the few potentially racist  cops going to suddenly stop being racist cuz a few football players kneeled during a meaningless football game?

Hint: blacklivesmatter and all these racial movements like kneeling against officers (many of which officers who's lives were in danger) were caused trump to win in a landslide. It creates more divisions and helps no cause

« Reply #371 on: September 24, 2017, 05:32:09 PM »

Online nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 6038
Enough with the white priledge talk, it has nothing to do with this thread.

« Reply #372 on: September 24, 2017, 05:34:37 PM »

Online blink

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 569

Praising Castro?

And can articulate what Colin is protesting and how it solves anything ? Are the few potentially racist  cops going to suddenly stop being racist cuz a few football players kneeled during a meaningless football game?

Nice job moving the goal posts...
Trump said that players who kneel during the anthem should be fired and called them SOBs.  That is actually what he said.

A player who kneels during the anthem hasn't broken any law, and unless the NFL changes their player conduct policy (highly doubtful since I read that 24 owners basically went against the president today) the player wouldn't even be in trouble with their own team.

Trump is basically trying to police free speech, and non-violent SILENT free speech at that.

C. Kapernick isn't even part of this anymore.  He isn't employed by any NFL team and he wasn't part of today's protest and statements of solidarity by a big majority of NFL teams.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2017/09/23/nfl-teams-respond-donald-trump/697096001/

« Reply #373 on: September 24, 2017, 05:41:44 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1265
Enough with the white priledge talk, it has nothing to do with this thread.

And also, it's a myth.

« Reply #374 on: September 24, 2017, 05:46:25 PM »

Online CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 673

Praising Castro?

Nice job moving the goal posts...
Trump said that players who kneel during the anthem should be fired and called them SOBs.  That is actually what he said.

A player who kneels during the anthem hasn't broken any law, and unless the NFL changes their player conduct policy (highly doubtful since I read that 24 owners basically went against the president today) the player wouldn't even be in trouble with their own team.

Trump is basically trying to police free speech, and non-violent SILENT free speech at that.

C. Kapernick isn't even part of this anymore.  He isn't employed by any NFL team and he wasn't part of today's protest and statements of solidarity by a big majority of NFL teams.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2017/09/23/nfl-teams-respond-donald-trump/697096001/
you didn't answer any of my questions

1. How is trump saying that "kneeling is disrespectful and should be against policy" reprehensible? A lot of people agree with him and it isn't outlandish considering its against US code not to stand during the anthem.

2. What are players protesting when kneeling  and how does it resolve said issue? Racist cops will always be racist

Hello! Guest

Welcome to the CelticsStrong Forums.

Community

Signup to win FREE tickets

* indicates required