Author Topic: Idea - Time to trade Thomas  (Read 3864 times)

Idea - Time to trade Thomas
« on: June 26, 2017, 12:00:27 PM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 23
I'm just asking what people think.  If we sign Hayward, for the 4 year deal which is really a 3 year with him opting out on the 4th year.  We pull the trade for George, hoping we're able to give them Crowder, Rozier, Mickey, 18, 19 Celtics 1st and a filler but keeping Smart and Bradley. That plays a big importance to what I'm suggesting.  I don't see the Celtics giving up Brooklyn and the Los Angeles pick next year in the deal, but if any the Lakers.  George comes with a 2 year extension, and Horford comes off the books in 3 years.

Would it be time to try to trade Thomas for a younger point guard that's not a score first guy, and can turn into or future point guard.  This way George and Hayward are option 1A and 1B, Horford and Bradley and option 2 and 3. 

Just a few teams and players that come to mind.  Maybe have to throw in a future 1st to make the deals.
Dallas Mavericks - Smith Jr.  (Maybe the want a star to put next to Dirk, for his final years.)
Sacramento Kings - Fox (Trade him back, give the Kings the all star they need plus a great shooting backcourt for then with Hield.  They had a great draft.)

Just two names that came to mind thinking of this.  Figured could be an interesting discussion.

Re: Idea - Time to trade Thomas
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 12:09:41 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
No.

In my opinion the whole Hayward george coming to Boston thing doesn't happen if we don't have IT.

More importantly, you aren't getting good value for IT due to his injury and contract status.

Lastly,I've yet to see a scenario where we can get PG and Hayward without losing Bradley.

Can't wait till next week's edition of "Nonsensical trade IT ideas". One of my favorite weekly features here.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 12:14:44 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
We just traded Fultz and drafted a forward.  We're not trading IT.  Please top making these threads.  The debate ended 9 days ago when Ainge made that trade.

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 12:20:47 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Eh it's not crazy to think about.
If the ultimate plan plays out... Hayward at max, Pg13 extends at max, Horford already at max...

There's no way that we'd be able to sign IT4 at a max.

It's not crazy to think of a world where Smart or Rozier has the single job of playing defense and running the offense that's centered around Hayward/Pg13/Horford. Especially considering that they'll probably ask for half the contract that IT4 will demand.

To add on top of this... There's always the possibility of trading Horford to make room for IT4. Problem is, the drop between IT4 and Marcus/Rozier would be way less than the dropoff between Horford and any of the backup bigs we'll have, draft, or sign.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 12:24:09 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
So, we construct a "win now" team featuring Hayward, George, Horford, etc. but hand the reigns to a rookie PG?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 12:26:40 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
If the ultimate plan plays out... Hayward at max, Pg13 extends at max, Horford already at max...

It's not crazy to think of a world where Smart or Rozier has the single job of playing defense and running the offense that's centered around Hayward/Pg13/Horford. Especially considering that they'll probably ask for half the contract that IT4 will demand.

To add on top of this... There's always the possibility of trading Horford to make room for IT4. Problem is, the drop between IT4 and Marcus/Rozier would be way less than the dropoff between Horford and any of the backup bigs we'll have, draft, or sign.

I have no idea how you've determined that this is the ultimate plan.

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 12:29:32 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122

I have no idea how you've determined that this is the ultimate plan.

I had a slightly satire tone with it. This is just the ultimate plan that the entire forum is giddy about, that's actually possible. Good breakdown here.
https://twitter.com/dangercart/status/878740107859243008
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 12:30:36 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
So, we construct a "win now" team featuring Hayward, George, Horford, etc. but hand the reigns to a rookie PG?

WHAT if Marcus could shoot? What if we made just one more thread about Isaiah?
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 12:36:33 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I don't know if any of those teams would be willing to trade their young PG's for an expiring, almost 30 year old Isaiah Thomas. It's just not going to happen.

There is one guy though that I thought would work with a Hayward - George - Horford core. Funny though, this guy is also in Phoenix.

Would Phoenix take back Isaiah Thomas for Eric Bledsoe?
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 12:38:51 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Let's forget the debate about whether or not the team would be better with IT.  I think it's irrelevant when discussing the potential signing of a guy like Gordon Hayward.  IT is part of the picture for any major free agent that looks to sign here.  I would also argue that trading IT would leave a sour taste in Al Horford's mouth too.

I know that there's a fair amount of people that want us to get rid of IT before he become an unrestricted free agent.  If you believe that he isn't worth the money (hip injury aside) then you also need to accept the fact that it's not realistic to sign any top tier free agents. 

At that point it's all about building through the draft and hoping that at least 2 of Jaylen, Tatum, Brooklyn 18, LA 2018/Sac2019/Philly 2019 can become perennial All-NBA players.  Personally I want to sign Hayward and max out IT if the hip injury doesn't diminish his game.  We can still keep  the draft picks unless an Anthony Davis scenario presents itself.   
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 12:45:46 PM by Green-18 »

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 12:39:47 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Id be fine trading Thomas but thought of Smart starting makes me puke.

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2017, 12:42:22 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
Trading a player who is injured and may not start the season and is in the last year of his contract may not be the best timing...

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2017, 12:44:40 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
What about Rozier? Kid showed a lot of promise in the playoffs.. I wouldn't be surprised if thats who Ainge/Stevens elected to roll with instead of giving IT a max.

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2017, 12:55:20 PM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 23

I'm not saying the reigns but having Smart start, also having a young guard in the wings or one to start.  I'm thinking with Hayward and George they need the ball, but Thomas is a ball hog at times.

So I'm saying this hypothetical we start Smart and have Fox. 

Line up
Horford - 3 years
George - 3 years
Hayward - 3 years
Bradley - 1 but have bird rights and would resign
Smart - 1

Saying Fox - Rookie
Tatum - Rookie
Yabusele - Rookie
Zizic - Rookie
Brown - 1st year
Fillers for the other slots.

Plus having saying the Brooklyn and Los Angeles picks next year.  Michael Porter, Mohamed Bamba, DeAndre Ayton the top 3 picks roughly they're saying. 

3 years when Horford is a shell of himself, George and Hayward wanting another max deal.  Look at the young team we'd be able to resign over time and compete for the long run.  Plus that starting line up with that bench is still going to be a top team in the east. 

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2017, 01:02:31 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
To me, the whole point of getting Hayward, Griffin, and/or George would be so that we could make a run with Thomas.  If we strike out on all of those, then maybe we trade IT and try to get a good young big man back.

I think Griffin is going to be more of a target than people seem to be discussing.  Our biggest weakness is front court.