Author Topic: So TOR/WAS Improved, And We Didn't Even Make A Short-Term Improvement?  (Read 8792 times)

Re: So TOR/WAS Improved, And We Didn't Even Make A Short-Term Improvement?
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2017, 03:58:47 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
I'm not saying Ainge should've traded the Brooklyn picks, but wouldn't it have been nice to have Noel? I don't understand how people can argue that. If you have Noel on your roster, you can still trade for George during the draft before you sign Noel? Kind of hard to argue that C's didn't make a mistake.

« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2017, 04:06:15 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Ainge is relying on the team's very good record when everyone was healthy.
Now the question is will we ever get there. Im concerned about AB's health. We stood path because the team is making in season improvements across the board led by IT.

For those saying we don't stand a chance against the Raptor or Washington in round 2..how on earth did you know?.
Their improvement on paper may not translate in real games but the Cs have already proven that once healthy they can be very difficult to take down in a best of 7 series.

« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2017, 04:09:33 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
Now the question is will we ever get there. Im concerned about AB's health. We stood path because the team is making in season improvements across the board led by IT.

For those saying we don't stand a chance against the Raptor or Washington in round 2..how on earth did you know?.
Their improvement on paper may not translate in real games but the Cs have already proven that once healthy they can be very difficult to take down in a best of 7 series.

Omg, dude teams weren't even trying hard in the first half. Washington has another gear, they smoked us when we played them. We still have trouble beating Toronto every time we play them. Like what more proof do you want?

Sure we could beat them, but if I had to put money on it, I would pick the field. I'm sorry, but with everyone healthy, the Celtics don't have the talent to beat those teams in the playoffs, where it's a half court game.

« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2017, 04:13:50 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I'm not saying Ainge should've traded the Brooklyn picks, but wouldn't it have been nice to have Noel? I don't understand how people can argue that. If you have Noel on your roster, you can still trade for George during the draft before you sign Noel? Kind of hard to argue that C's didn't make a mistake.

I'm with you there but maybe PHI didn't want to deal him in the division.

Also we would have had to re-sign him, right, wouldn't that kill our cap room?

« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2017, 04:17:43 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney

I'm with you there but maybe PHI didn't want to deal him in the division.

Also we would have had to re-sign him, right, wouldn't that kill our cap room?

True

« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2017, 04:21:46 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
Some (most) of the responses in this thread are absolutely pathetic.

Completely embarrassing.

« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2017, 04:23:52 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
That's what I hated most about this deadline...not that we didn't get a superstar...but that out of the 5 top teams in the East, we were the only one to not improve our roster.  To watch all of the competition around us make these cheap/small moves that will improve their teams and have us not make one single move when it's so painfully obvious what this team needs to improve upon, it's frustrating.

What's the point of accumulating all of these "assets" if you don't actually turn them in for something?  Especially on something like rebounding and defense help, where it would've cost you next to nothing to bring someone in?

« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2017, 04:33:56 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1215

Omg, dude teams weren't even trying hard in the first half. Washington has another gear, they smoked us when we played them. We still have trouble beating Toronto every time we play them. Like what more proof do you want?

Sure we could beat them, but if I had to put money on it, I would pick the field. I'm sorry, but with everyone healthy, the Celtics don't have the talent to beat those teams in the playoffs, where it's a half court game.

That is a ridiculous and unsubstantiated statement

We're 1-2 against Washington, with each team winning at home, and both of Washington's wins coming when we had at least 1 starter injured (one of those games we were missing AB, the other Crowder and Horford).  It would be a close series, but there's nothing to suggest that we wouldn't stand a chance

Against Toronto and Cleveland, though, I agree we don;t have much of a chance in a 7 game series
I'm bitter.

« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2017, 04:37:38 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562
So PJ Tucker and Serge Ibaka are gonna be the guys to push TOR over the top on CLE and GSW huh?

I'm okay with the C's staying pat. I don't see how trading 3 legit rotation players for a guy who would commit to staying in BOS long term brings would bring the C's any closer to a championship. They still have the picks, they have cap space, and they have all their young players that are on pace to win 50 games. In the words of Aaron Rogers: "R-E-L-A-X."
No one said that, but Tucker and Ibaka could certainly push Toronto into the ECF to actually face Cleveland there.  What if Tucker and Ibaka push Toronto to the 2 seed and the moves Washington and Atlanta made push them ahead of Boston.  Boston might then be the 5 seed with a very tough 1st round matchup and might not even make the 2nd round.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2017, 04:39:01 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
That's what I hated most about this deadline...not that we didn't get a superstar...but that out of the 5 top teams in the East, we were the only one to not improve our roster.  To watch all of the competition around us make these cheap/small moves that will improve their teams and have us not make one single move when it's so painfully obvious what this team needs to improve upon, it's frustrating.

What's the point of accumulating all of these "assets" if you don't actually turn them in for something?  Especially on something like rebounding and defense help, where it would've cost you next to nothing to bring someone in?

Been saying this for two years but ya kno this blog ..." in Danny we trust"....blah blah blah ::)

« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2017, 04:44:29 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1215
So PJ Tucker and Serge Ibaka are gonna be the guys to push TOR over the top on CLE and GSW huh?

I'm okay with the C's staying pat. I don't see how trading 3 legit rotation players for a guy who would commit to staying in BOS long term brings would bring the C's any closer to a championship. They still have the picks, they have cap space, and they have all their young players that are on pace to win 50 games. In the words of Aaron Rogers: "R-E-L-A-X."
No one said that, but Tucker and Ibaka could certainly push Toronto into the ECF to actually face Cleveland there.  What if Tucker and Ibaka push Toronto to the 2 seed and the moves Washington and Atlanta made push them ahead of Boston.  Boston might then be the 5 seed with a very tough 1st round matchup and might not even make the 2nd round.

I'd be willing to put a good amount of money on the Hawks' addition of Ersan Illyasova not winning them an extra 5 of their final 26 games and dethroning us in the east.  Even if we do worse post trade deadline than before it (say, winning 60% of our games as compared to the 65% we've won despite our injuries so far), Atlanta would need to go 20-6 just to tie us, which is a win % on par with the Spurs.  That's not gonna happen
I'm bitter.

« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2017, 04:46:31 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 738
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Boston's ceiling is the 2 seed. The basement is the 4 seed.

They really need to stay out of the 4 seed to avoid the Cavs. Need to finish 2 or 3.

« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2017, 04:48:20 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

Been saying this for two years but ya kno this blog ..." in Danny we trust"....blah blah blah ::)

Same here, watching blog rules get violated against me with impunity because it's OK if you defend Ainge.

Blah, blah, blah.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2017, 04:51:32 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562

I'd be willing to put a good amount of money on the Hawks' addition of Ersan Illyasova not winning them an extra 5 of their final 26 games and dethroning us in the east.  Even if we do worse post trade deadline than before it (say, winning 60% of our games as compared to the 65% we've won despite our injuries so far), Atlanta would need to go 20-6 just to tie us, which is a win % on par with the Spurs.  That's not gonna happen
Certainly possible, but they were 15-16 and have gone 17-8 since.  They do have Boston twice as well.  Might not be that hard to make up the 4 loss difference (though they do still have 3 games with the Cavs - 2 in the last week of the season, the Warriors, Spurs, and some other tough games). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2017, 04:55:29 PM »

Offline vgulab

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54

Same here, watching blog rules get violated against me with impunity because it's OK if you defend Ainge.

Blah, blah, blah.

I believe that we should defend Danny. 2013-2017 the rebuild years for the Celtics. Just 4 years. The Celtics at the end of 2017 will have Fultz/Ball + Brown + Smart + Horford + IT. Some teams are in rebuild longer than us and they don't even have a quarter of our assets. So why now trade brooklyn pick and Brown for PG13 and weaken the roster when we can use the pick to get a cornerstone player on a loaded draft and also have salary cap to sign another player for free like we did with Horford. PG13 in good player but not Lebron type of player so spent a lot of assets for a really good player but risking the future with giving up assets? No, i'm ok with whats happening and i will defend DA when he is in the middle of the greatest rebuild in nba history